General car smoky..

Currently reading:
General car smoky..

Sorry, no idea of the costs. The guys who (finally) fixed the engine sound ok.

I read that the engine makes only 115bhp without the variator action - mine certainly sings along once its above 4000rpm. You can feel it "wake up" - not like a 2-stroke bike :D - but its there.

The old Fiat variators had a design fault making them fail the new ones are sorted.

well pop in to some garage today for ther opinion on why my car could be smoking abit, even no it clears after about 15min of driving, any way one guy at one garage notice ther was little bits of oil spiting out of the breather or pipe that connect to the side of the rockit cover....:mad: and he said may be the breather is blocked can this happen if so wot makes this happens. any way he said to unconnect it and fach it down to the floor and drive it like this and see if it unblocks or if the smoke would stop.....

dose any one no if i can if the breather is blocked and if so is ther any way of unblocking.......

thanks......

Last edited:
Just take the air filter off and let it run warm then put finger over it, see it there's pressure. But you'd be able to see if it was blocked and it's only held on with a jubilee clip

breadsticz.... im not geting wot you meen about take the air filter of and put ur finger over it...it not the air filter it the breather pipe that connect to a black plastick on the side of the rockit cover.....

hgt engine....

emmm.... o.k well today as it was a sunday i cleaned car and fort i would check out this breather pipe as i fort it was spitting out oil and it turns out the breather pipe fine. so i was proper having a good look over the engine to see were it coming from and found it..ther is a little crack in the rockit cover:mad:..(i think thats wot it called)..so i did a little check just to make sure. so wot i did is got a fag lighted it up then just stuck it near the crack to see if it was blowing and it was as the smoke was just blowing away form the crack..also i disconnected the pipe that sits on top of the throttle body just to have a look inside the throttle to see if it was clean and it was. so just as i was about to stick the pipe back on i also notice the pipe had a split in it just were it connects to the throttle body:mad:. aslo took the coils that sit on top of the spark plugs to have a little look down ther and also notice the first plug near the cam belt side has got oil sitting around the bottom off it like it not screwed in properly......

with this crack in the cover & split in the intake pipe & this plug like this wot sort of engine symtoms would i be geting...

thanks for any help you guys.....(y)......

Rocker cover BTW! Would be losing oil fast, maybe car juddering from split pipe and my 1st spark plug has oil in! Can come from leak in rocker cover gasket or spilt when topping up from oil cap.
Rocker cover could have cracked from too much pressure inside it which would be caused by a cracked cylinder head, compression test will confirm this

bredsticz...

just been having an other look at this crack. and notice it crack were one of alankey bolts is so i think when the garage fix my car after the cam belt come off thay have done the bolt up abit to much and cracked it as it right on the conner....so will be going back tomorrow to them....and that why i have been useing so much f**king oil...bas**D,:mad:...and thay dont wont to try telling me it not them who did it...............

yes could be right ther mate as i have experinced this juddering on pull off or at light or in low gear. so going to see if i can get an other pipe tomorrow hopfully.......gsr...:D

but for the oil around the plug i do no it not from when im puting in oil as i always use a cloth and put it around the hole to make sure if i did splill any clot would be ther to catch it.......

thanks....

o.k right im going to be doing a compression test in the morning to see wot each cylinder is saying. so will be buying a compression kit from halfords but the kit only fits 10mm 12mm plug hols will this be the right one for me. car is (punto hgt) if this fit please cans some let me no....

also please give me a little guide on how to do a compression test as never done one befor....reason im doing one as car is abit smokey...

thanks guys....

Yeah that will fit. Not sure on the HGT but disconnect ecu, or injectors whichever is easier, take out all spark plugs and fit the pressure dial in each spark plug socket in turn getting someone to crank the engine and keep it cranking untill the dial gives constant reading. Needs to be done when engine is hot btw

So long as spark plugs are same size as a 1.2 8v it will fit! I'd say it would

The ECU has connectors with plungers on each side. Pull them up and they ease the connectors out of the ECU. Be VERY careful to align properly before pushing them back. A bent pin would be a disaster.

The injection and I believe cam sensor are connected with 2 small connectors at the left of the cyl head at the back near the engine mount. They are fiddly but easy to see. Underneath them there is an earth tag for the ECU. The must be earthed solidly.

But it would be easier to just pull the 4 coil packs off the plugs or better take out the plugs too.

whitesei.....

so your saying instead of disconnect the (ecu) or the (injection) it is easy just to remove all four coil from each plug at once then remove all four spark plugs..and this is just as safe as disconnecting the (ecu) & (injection)........

when im doing the compression test dose all plugs have to be removed or just one at a time.

like i mean take plug (1) out do the test then replace plug. then so on..

cheers

All plugs removed at once, and you can't just disconnect the coils because you will still have fuel going into the cyliners while trying to test it! If ecu is similar to the 1.2 8v then at the back of the engine are 2 largish cables with odd clips and plastic turny things securing them (Sorry about being so technical) just twist the plastic and pull the cable out and that is the ecu disconnected

I would take out all 4 plugs to get consistent readings. Bred has a point but I'm not so sure disconnecting the HGT ECU is a good idea. I dont know so best to see what others think

If its OK, the ECU is easy to disconnect and takes about 15 seconds on each side.

Back