General Car Shop

Currently reading:
General Car Shop

So i bought my 500 In April lat year from CarShop in norwich.
good car, not ally priced, good finance deal.
i bought 3 years servicing and 3 years MOT (mug)
Went in or an MOT today, it passed, not a problem. until i discovered a broken Driver side door handle. Now bear in mind how much I love my car....
If id broken it surely id have noticed and asked them to either repair it.... or be careful!
no no it was obviously broken when i brought it in, they called me an hour later your car has passed, no mention of a broken door handle!

I think you may have got lucky ! If you read posts regarding the handle breaking it can break with no warning and without unusual effort. Carshop just happened to have it when it broke and have fixed it, a day latter it could have broken when you had it and therefore you would have had the inconvenience and cost. Try and keep the handle hinge lubricated to prevent it happening again

It's likely just a coincidence, the metal components of the handle are made from an alloy which has less structural integrity than a a bar of chocolate, left on a dash board on a hot day, at some point they will break and need fixing and for you it happened after the car was in for service.
No body will have broken it through mistreatment or intentionally even if they had known it to have broken it still wouldn't be their fault or responsibility.... Unless it's covered under warranty which I suspect it isn't .

I never hear bad things about this place (I live and work in Norwich) and have lots of connections to the local motor trade, so you may have to just accept its one of those things.

If you speak to them very nicely they may do you a deal on repairing it, cheap labour cost or not charge for the parts.

Last edited:
Marcusgillies - I've had another read of your original post and probably miss understood the situation and replied too hastily whilst having breakfast.
Was the handle broken as you collected the car after its MOT (whilst still at CarShop) - did you not ask them about it then, was it then that they said it was broken already when dropped off.
As I said and others have it can break at any time and without warning, I do not think you could break the hinge intentionally without causing other damage, it could have broken the first time they opened it - statistically very unlucky

Back