Car PC anyone?

Currently reading:
Car PC anyone?

small update today - finished off the templates and made the base, side and back panels of the console.:cool:

Its held together by gaffa tape at the moment - was just giving me a rough idea of whats going on. I need to get some thin mdf now to start making rails for things to mount on / help build strength when i glue it together.

All thats left then is to mount the components then fabricate a fasia panel, then trim it all :D

Attachments

• Image(44).jpg
    Image(44).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 13
punto_jr_sx75 said:
Wow thats really smart. SO does the screen sit kinda level with the angled part at the top of the box and the 'mini tower' sit underneath that?

Jordan

Yea it will be flush mounted on the top angle so i can take full advantage of the touchscreen. The headunit mounted on the flat front bit, with teh PC unit either at the back or underneath.

punto_jr_sx75 said:
When you say headunit is that justa normal Car head unit or the Laptop DVD drive :confused: I just thought you wouldnt need a CD player headunit in this if you were using the PC to play CD's etc or am i wrong? Im so confused nooo!

Jordan

Nah i have been given my orders to use a normal headunit - Sony NC9950, as my GF bought it for me a while ago and its still unused for more than a couple of months. Also by having means i can keep my radio, and use multiple amps and soundstage controls (otherwise id have to use high level input amps which i dont have :p)

punto_jr_sx75 said:
lol! I see.

Thats really smart though. Are you gona spray the cover in yellow also or you think that would be too OTT?

Jordan

Im not 100% on how im going to make the facia yet, but will probably have recesses etc so they will be done in yellow to match the dash. All the rest will be painted black - the sides will be covered in black leatherette to match my seats and doorcards etc when i eventually get them covered.

I need to make a second piece which goes all the way back to the handbrake so i can have yellow leatherette gear gators too :D

Nice idea wouldnt mind something like this myself in the future.

And 2k is bluetooth compatibile.

Ok, todays update:
Ive made some panels and screwed the whole lot together, painted/covered them and fitted my headunit. Its all bolted in nice and solid using the original mounts (except uses all 3).

Unfortunately, this current one isnt going to be the final one. The dimensions are a bit out so i will remake another later on in the summer after my exams (that are coming up damn fast), so for now i still have some music at long last!. It wasnt a wasted effort as i now know how to fit everything :D

So this is the final update for a while. The Car PC will remain my home music centre for the time being :p Anyways, Pics..

Screwing sides together:
Image_45_.jpg

First facia panel for headunit:
Image_46_.jpg

Image_48_.jpg

Top panel made for where screen would go:
Image_49_.jpg

It painted and bolted in:
PIC_0212.JPG

PIC_0213.JPG

Pics arent great, and doesnt really show off the definition it has. Looks a bit crap in the pictures if im honest, but is much better in person. But again, this is only a prototype, expect the real thing to be 100x better :D Just wanted to get in some music before my easter break ends :p

In the final version:
- The shape is going to be a little more rounded to match the rest of the dash style
- It will have yellow detailing plus yellow statue LEDS
- Probably have an ammeter guage in the front along with USB ports that are accessable.
- I'll be making a facia panel that goes all round the base of the OE dash hiding all the cracks/holes etc.
- wont just be flat covered panels as it is at the moment :p

Last edited:
Back