Car overheating

Currently reading:
Car overheating

I drove my friend to work earlier, then noticed when I was nearly home that when I was accelerating there was a rattling noise, then my car overheated. I checked the oil and the water but I dont really know what to do, what do you guys suggest?

Many moons ago, when the headgasket started to go on my 1979 mk1 1300 Cavalier it made a rattling sound every time I accelerated. Within a week it went 'pop' and became an aircooled engine stranding me on the side of the M1 :(

But check obvious things first. Alternator belt ok and not flapping about? Radiator fan not coming loose or anything like that? Is the radiator fan coming on at all? Otherwise keep an eye on oil and water...

what car is it?? lost count of how many she's rolled/hit trees with ;)

:D yeah i thought it might be car number 3 next!

it was the headgasket. appartently the fan was broken so it didnt kick in and so the headgasket blew. the bloke is coming tommorrow to get to it so it can be sanded and put right by the weekend apparently,
going to cost about 180 quid the bloke said.

its being sanded flat, and it wasnt my fan that was broken but the fan switch, he's going to fix it by monday and its going to be 160. :)

no where near as bad as i first thought!

sanded skimmed dunno i'll ask.

is that why the ride? or is there summat else i should be aware of (ill check the sanding/skimming thing today)

I had same problem with my Fiat Panda... It was going thru water excessivly, there was mayo in the oilcap and it was over-heating pretty quickly.

I got a rad-sealer (cost me about £10). You pour it into the water tank and run the engine for 10 mins. It seals any holes in the pipes / radiator.

I then got my GF's dad to do an oil change for me, he fitted a new oil filer (this was free to me as he got the bits from work!) and that was problem pretty much solved! So I'd suggest try the cheap options first before you fork out...

Out of interest, my Panda has also had a new set of plugs and plug leads, an air filter and a new fan belt since I bought it in September. Oh, and a new exhaust box... All in all it's cost me about £80. Not bad considering I got the car for £122 off Ebay with 3mths TAX and 9 months MOT!!

It's now needing a new set of rear shocks, a new brake pipe and a look at the handbrake...

But my GF's dad said he'd do the work!

Back