Technical Car locking itself every ten mins

Currently reading:
Technical Car locking itself every ten mins

natdusz

So for a while I’ve had a temperamental issue with my key fob not responding with the car, and I’ve had to manually lock/unlock by inserting the key. This tends to sort itself out within a few days however for the past week it’s been constant. The car is now also locking itself every ten mins (the little key button on the dash flickers as this happens) even when the engine is switched off, resulting in the lock noise sounding plus the headlights flashing. It’s not ideal as not only does the constant flashing wake me up shining into my house (not to mention the neighbours) but I’m concerned about the battery draining. Does anyone know whether there’s a simple fix behind this? Thanks.

This has been suffered a few times by others, on various models. I think all have been wear to the key fob, where the buttons are making contact without you pressing them. New fobs can be obtained from good locksmiths, or eBay, but swapping over the immobiliser chip needs extreme care, as they are easily broken, then won't work.

For simple diagnosis, remove the battery from the fob and see if the problem is fixed or persists.

If the problem persists, it could relate to the switches in the door locks themselves, although issues there usually result in the car unlocking, not locking. If one door is not closed when the lock command is given, the car locks, then immediately unlocks, so a sticky lock may have the same effect. Locking the car from inside is sometimes via the driver's door handle, some have a dash switch. Either of those might cause this issue.

This has been suffered a few times by others, on various models. I think all have been wear to the key fob, where the buttons are making contact without you pressing them. New fobs can be obtained from good locksmiths, or eBay, but swapping over the immobiliser chip needs extreme care, as they are easily broken, then won't work.

For simple diagnosis, remove the battery from the fob and see if the problem is fixed or persists.

If the problem persists, it could relate to the switches in the door locks themselves, although issues there usually result in the car unlocking, not locking. If one door is not closed when the lock command is given, the car locks, then immediately unlocks, so a sticky lock may have the same effect. Locking the car from inside is sometimes via the driver's door handle, some have a dash switch. Either of those might cause this issue.

Sounds like an obvious 1st port of call..

But if its failing to work reliably.. the issue might be elsewhere :eek:

Its a 30 second of work..and a halfhour test though :)

Back