General Car doesn't start unless you leave the ignition on for a couple minutes.

Currently reading:
General Car doesn't start unless you leave the ignition on for a couple minutes.

onetwothree123

Hello,

My fiat bravo 2008 diesel won't start unless you leave the ignition on (as in partly turning the car to where the radio and such turns on) for a couple minutes and then it starts fine.

Any advice?

Might add some info as if it at least cranks or what it does if you try to start right away

Sorry. Once left on for a couple minutes it cranks but it cranks for a couple seconds then turns on. If I try to just turn it on straight away it will just crank and not start. Sorry, I don't know a lot about cars so I don't know what else to add.

Sorry, I don't know a lot about cars so I don't know what else to add.

Evidently.

This is what diesel cars do.

A petrol car has a spark which ignites the fuel air mixture, the diesel compresses the fuel air mixture and when you compress air, it heats up, its this heat that ignites a Diesel engine, but when the engine is cold such as when you start it for the first time you have “glow plugs” which warm the cylinders before you start the car, they give the engine a little pre-heat to get the car started quicker. To use the glow plugs you turn the ignition to on, a little orange symbol will appear on the dash when it goes out the car is ready to start.

If you crank it when the engine is cold and without warming the glow plugs eventually it will start the car, but will take ages and you risk enengine, so as you are the owner of a diesel car this is the procedure, you turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out, then you start it.

Some newer cars have an electronic controlled system which will do all this automatically, but an old bravo doesn’t have this

Sorry. Once left on for a couple minutes it cranks but it cranks for a couple seconds then turns on. If I try to just turn it on straight away it will just crank and not start. Sorry, I don't know a lot about cars so I don't know what else to add.

Watch the dashboard..

Is there a symbol like 'curly wire' ?

That is signifying the glow plugs have power.. ( they are basically a lightbulb.. but with a metal 'bulb' instead of glass )

They normally only heat for @5 seconds..

As soon as the curly symbol goes off.. you can crank the engine :)

Watch the dashboard..

Is there a symbol like 'curly wire' ?

That is signifying the glow plugs have power.. ( they are basically a lightbulb.. but with a metal 'bulb' instead of glass )

They normally only heat for @5 seconds..

As soon as the curly symbol goes off.. you can crank the engine :)

Thank you for the replies. Will my glow plugs need replaced as the symbol doesn't even come up?

Back