Car Clubs, Freedom of speech, No thanks

Currently reading:
Car Clubs, Freedom of speech, No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one to get worked up normally but i ventured onto clubcento over the last few weeks and relised why i never actally handed over any cash

You can check out the post I got involve with http://forum.clubcento.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4858

But this is my reply by pm to the mod that closed my post.... thank god FF mods are so cool and allow debate

good to see you left no right of reply by closing the post and not allowing a public reply.... and Oh if I had every pound for a reply like yours

I'm not a tight arsed bugger and have owned cars most people have only ever dreamed of and been affiliated to lots of clubs in the past but even the best of them have moved from protecting knowledge to preserving the species so i am just offering free advice as I would to anyone who asked.

After all the cars you claim to represent as a UK national club either now fall into two catagories, enthusiast or cheap run around. Such an elitest view of pay or no info will not get cheap car buyers to be enthusiast, and i for one will always point people where they can get the discounts.
Never forget the people that offer discounts in CC have busineses to run and offer the same discounts elsewhere for free so spending 20 quid looks less attractive

I never said the guys that run CC get paid, I have done the same role on other forums and clubs for free too and their contribution to prevent spam is much apreciated. I am sorry that you guys continue with this approach and i am sure you enjoy your special little world but the world wide web is a big place and your place is getting more insignificant by the day

The advice i have seen as a borrowing member is quite frankly no better than i see elsewhere as you have obviously reached your own insular limits

So as I quess i have invaded the autocratic world you live in I'll be banned now which too be honest is your loss

Last edited:
I'm not one to get worked up normally but i ventured onto clubcento over the last few weeks and relised why i never actally handed over any cash

You can check out the post I got involve with http://forum.clubcento.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4858

But this is my reply by pm to the mod that closed my post.... thank god FF mods are so cool and allow debate

good to see you left no right of reply by closing the post and not allowing a public reply.... and Oh if I had every pound for a reply like yours

I'm not a tight arsed bugger and have owned cars most people have only ever dreamed of and been affiliated to lots of clubs in the past but even the best of them have moved from protecting knowledge to preserving the species so i am just offering free advice as I would to anyone who asked.

After all the cars you claim to represent as a UK national club either now fall into two catagories, enthusiast or cheap run around. Such an elitest view of pay or no info will not get cheap car buyers to be enthusiast, and i for one will always point people where they can get the discounts.
Never forget the people that offer discounts in CC have busineses to run and offer the same discounts elsewhere for free so spending 20 quid looks less attractive

I never said the guys that run CC get paid, I have done the same role on other forums and clubs for free too and their contribution to prevent spam is much apreciated. I am sorry that you guys continue with this approach and i am sure you enjoy your special little world but the world wide web is a big place and your place is getting more insignificant by the day

The advice i have seen as a borrowing member is quite frankly no better than i see elsewhere as you have obviously reached your own insular limits

So as I quess i have invaded the autocratic world you live in I'll be banned now which too be honest is your loss

Mate if its that bad don't bother....tbf I'd put a fair guess at most queries on fiat ending up here in the end...try a google image search if you don't think so on any fiat related thing 50% of ones I try are related back to here. If they want to be like that let them not your job to change the world.

As a member of Clubcento I feel I have to reply; firstly I feel that although this is not the place to do it (and I apologise for this) I believe it's something that should be addressed publically and not privately.

First of all, I'm sure that I remembering you belittling (for want of a better word) those 'elitist' people in car clubs (in the traditional, pre internet forum sense); not just Clubcento, but generally. Post number 12 in this thread - https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/142114-engine-swap.html

First and foremost, the CC forum is primarily for members of Clubcento. It is not a forum that has evolved into a club, it is actually the other way around. The club does have technical advice guides that were written by Clubcento members FOR Clubcento members that aren't available (to an extent) on places like FF (very detailed guides on a 1242 swap for example). Some of the info contained in the CC tech section is not freely available as is some of the engineering.

As for getting insignificant, according to the books the club is financially healthy and has been for some time. The club must be doing something right, otherwise the membership would not support it.

clubcento is strange. I feel i should/want to join but i cant see how i would ever get anything out of it. never make my £20 back....

also I dont like it how a site charges members to join who then give there info out for free that only other members who pay can see:chin:

its the same as that friends reunited site.... used to charge monthly untill a few months back where they made it free. this is because the site was basicly on its arse as there was sites like facebook offering the same (or more) for free

clubcento is strange. I feel i should/want to join but i cant see how i would ever get anything out of it. never make my £20 back....

also I dont like it how a site charges members to join who then give there info out for free that only other members who pay can see:chin:

its the same as that friends reunited site.... used to charge monthly untill a few months back where they made it free. this is because the site was basicly on its arse as there was sites like facebook offering the same (or more) for free

I've made more than my £20 back this year just by buying spare/service parts compared to using (for example) shop4parts and applying a 10% discount that I believe I would get as a member of FF.

if a website wants to charge let them charge, you dont have to pay.

each group can play by its own rules, if you dont like those rules find another group, or start your own group, dont try to tell another group they need to change to suit your own opinions and ideas.

if a bunch of people want to be elitist them them get on with it, its human nature and good to laugh at. look at firefox/opera fanboys, you can always have a good laugh at a person with an irrational love for an internet browser. its a browser ffs! yet it woudnt be fun if they all stopped biting tomorrow. elitist groups are easy targets, the more the merrier.

I've made more than my £20 back this year just by buying spare/service parts compared to using (for example) shop4parts and applying a 10% discount that I believe I would get as a member of FF.
tbf shop4parts with 10% discount is still very expensive compared to other websites with no discount at all.

fiat forum donation is one off, as small as you like, and not compulsary; so getting something back from it is not important. if you get good advice on 1 issue you're already in profit.

Last edited:
tbf shop4parts with 10% discount is still very expensive compared to other websites with no discount at all.

fiat forum donation is one off, as small as you like, and not compulsary; so getting something back from it is not important. if you get good advice on 1 issue you're already in profit.

Shop4parts was the first example that came into my head TBH which is why I used it.

True, but the forum costs still have to be met, which is why there're google ads at the top of the page. The forum needs them to be self supporting.

A few comments of mine, in no particular order and not aimed at anyone...

I've donated on here.
I've paid to join clubcento. As far as I see its no different. There have been comments on here about people not donating.

I was a cento owner for quite a while before I paid for full CC membership. At the time I didn't see the point.

I donated on here before joining clubcento.

I am not here to 'fly the clubcento flag' but unfortunatly I have been publicly branded 'one of those stuck up CC lot' by a couple of members on here. :bang: and had a couple of PM's about it. Why such childish bitching goes on I don't know.

The problem with locking threads is that it then sends out the wrong message. This happens on all forums. Yes, it happens a few times on CC forum, but thats only after some basic info has been given.

Clubcento is a car club. Its one you have to pay for. The forum is a free add on for its members. But because it is a paid for car club its members (me included) feel we would like a members only section. The technical advice section is seen as an incentive to get new members to join, not as a way of pissing off new members.

(repeat that bit, you pay for joining the CAR CLUB, not a forum, like almost any other owners club)

And as for £20, I guess I have saved over £200 over the couple of years I've been a member.

And we put on free lunches at club events.(y)

If you don't want to join clubcento then don't. I decided I would and have found it very beneficial, both for my car and financially.

I see myself as both a member of Clubcento and a member of Fiat Forum. Looks like I'm only one of a very small minority that can handle that concept.

Last edited:
Why such childish bitching goes on I don't know.
its the first rule of elitism. all competition must be shunned.

The problem with locking threads is that it then sends out the wrong message. This happens on all forums.
even worse, it prevents me leaving witty replies. many times dave has closed a thread when i really really wanted to post a funny reply.

we would like a members only section.
for what purpose exactly?
sounds like an excuse to encourage elitism through division.

I see myself as both a member of Clubcento and a member of Fiat Forum. Looks like I'm only one of a very small minority that can handle that concept.
thats true. few people feel they can belong to more than one group in the same area/topic/industry/whatever.

football is a good example. if you support 2 football clubs people say you aren't a true supporter of either club.

people are dumb, throw poo at them.

Last edited:

It's not a case of 'you pay to get the site' the forum hasn't even been around that long. Its an add-on, the club is focused around the cars not a web site.

Threads like this don't do any good, and all they do is big up this none existence rivaliry that people seem to think exists between CC and FF - it's utter nonesense, and quite upsetting at times.

I love threads like these personally, we get them every now and again and they always make me chuckle.

Allenhelen, sorry mate but you're right - if you're only going to use the forum then you'll never get your £20 back because as others have stated, the forum isn't that much of an additional benefit to members, more of an add-on. However, if you can manage to look out of the box :)idea:) and use the benefits to full potential - as myself and many others do - then you wouldn't really be that bothered by £20.

I've seen the reply you received from the moderator in question and I stand by his response.

Shaun

Last edited:
sorry but i agree with jug
each group can play by its own rules, if you dont like those rules find another group, or start your own group, dont try to tell another group they need to change to suit your own opinions and ideas.

£20 would be quite a bit to pay for just a few guides on a forum, but it looks like there is way more to it than that.

on puntomk2 forum there is a members only section with guides etc in there, and it costs a few quid, which i think is fair enough.

basically allen you are wanting a club to make its resources freely available. It doesnt matter if those resources are available elsewhere.

"when in rome, do as the romans do"

Well you may have gathered i'll never be a member there

I just get so annoyed when on that particular forum you get the respose "answer in the tech section" which to me translates to give us 20 quid and we'll tell you

The same response annoys me on here too when people post the answer "info is available on CC", what use is that answer? you may as well say ha i know but it will cost you.

if people what to join then that is fine and i'm in agreement that maybe they should not have a public forum. Most people stumble accross forums when they are looking at buying a car or are having problems and answers such as above are just unhelpful and if they are not lucky in finding somewhere like here it to me is morally questionable.

I must admit I too have saved on parts, insurance, etc thanks to offers on here and on other forums and as it didn't cost me to join (only a voluntery donation here and there as a thanks at my descretion) I am 20 quid up before i started :p

Last edited:
£20 for a couple of guides is crap... all the info is here and free. plus stuff like 1.2 dont need a guide! heck i bet i could write out a guide for FF thats better then one on CC and be happy to see it been used for free.

yeah, because obviously everything on CC will be about almost standard centos and of course nothing to do with modifying the cars in ways you have and will probably never learn about :rolleyes:

im as ignorant as you about what IS exactly in the tech section, but going by the FF cento section it HAS to have stuff in it worth way more than £20 to some people. Engine conversions, turbo conversions, ECU conversions (megasquirt for example) suspension, you name it and it has been tweaked with by the cento section far more than with any other fiat car.

Last edited:
£20 for a couple of guides is crap
I agree 100%. For a couple of guides it is utter crap. I would never do that.

But what I have done is join a car club for £20 and it just so happens that a few people have written a few guides that I get to read for free.

But as said many times before, much of the stuff is readily available for free on here, in books and on other sites. I know as I use BOTH sites regularly.

Personally I can say that as I am a member on both CC and FF forums (and 3 other FIAT dedicated forums and 3 or 4 other general car ones) I think its fair to say that I could NOT rely on just one forum for my sources of info.

So, I am not paying £20 just to get all my tech assistance from CC members only sections. I use that AS WELL and this seems to be the point that many people are missing and several people are getting stressed about. We (or rather the moderators on CC, which I am not one of) are not saying you will only find this info on our site and only if you pay us money. I hope the message is, join the club and ALSO get this info here.

Last edited:
. We (or rather the moderators on CC, which I am not one of) are not saying you will only find this info on our site and only if you pay us money. I hope the message is, join the club and ALSO get this info here.

So why don't you see the answer info in tech section if you decide to join our club or alternative you can find it for free on the fiat forum?

How it actually comes accross is holding people to ransom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back