Can they do that?

Currently reading:
Can they do that?

I was told today at work that I cant have time off in the afternoons to see my doctor.

Since my accident I have been suffering from bad pains in my arm where my scars are and also bad shooting pains in my head, The pains have been getting worse I decided to get checked out.

I had an appointment late afternoon and had to leave work a couple of hours early cos I work about 30 miles away from where i live.

The doctor said I need another Xray and need to see a neurologist. So gave me a card to take to the hospital for the following day. I got into work today and was told I wasnt allowed to have any medical appointments in the afternoon.

I cant understand this cos if i had a morning appointment at say 11am. I couldnt come into work before hand cos i would have to leave at 9am and i get into work about 8.30am. I wouldnt get into work until 1pm. Surely its better for me to leave a couple of hours early than be 4-5 hours late :confused:

Plus I cant pick and choose my appointments. Is it a sackable offence if I carry on taking the appointments I am given?

Employers nowadays dont care a dam sam if possible go to your puter and discreatly contact citizens advise line [try google it]sounds like you may have some kind of nerve damage hense the sooting head pains dont leave it get it sorted(y)

sammiboo said:
Is it a sackable offence if I carry on taking the appointments I am given?

technically no, it's not a sackable offense, but they can put you onto disciplinary preceedings.

they would then give you an edict, continue to do it, and it moves to the next level. and then they could sack you if you continued.

however, if you're getting a doctors note, take the time off work sick. or tell them, "look, i don't want time off work sick, however, for my betterment, i have to go to these appointments, you make arrangments to allow me to do so, or i'll take the time off work sick"

As far as i am aware they can not stop you seeking medical aid in any way.
I know there is no way i would risk it with any of my staff.

If they refused, and you took bad at work, they would face a lawsuit.
If your brave enough, wave that in their face, see what they say then.

sammiboo said:
I was told today at work that I cant have time off in the afternoons to see my doctor.

Since my accident I have been suffering from bad pains in my arm where my scars are and also bad shooting pains in my head, The pains have been getting worse I decided to get checked out.

I had an appointment late afternoon and had to leave work a couple of hours early cos I work about 30 miles away from where i live.

The doctor said I need another Xray and need to see a neurologist. So gave me a card to take to the hospital for the following day. I got into work today and was told I wasnt allowed to have any medical appointments in the afternoon.

I cant understand this cos if i had a morning appointment at say 11am. I couldnt come into work before hand cos i would have to leave at 9am and i get into work about 8.30am. I wouldnt get into work until 1pm. Surely its better for me to leave a couple of hours early than be 4-5 hours late :confused:

Plus I cant pick and choose my appointments. Is it a sackable offence if I carry on taking the appointments I am given?

yes my work place have done the same to me in the past wen i have had to go to the hospital for diabetic checks etc, they say i have to use annual leave or make it up(n)

I don't think it's sackable but they can be on ur case about it:bang:

Well I intend to carry on seeing the doctor and going to the hospital when I am given my appointments and see what happens. Its a bit petty really, if they pester me about it I might just make a formal complaint saying I feel like I am being victimised since my accident.

Link states:

Time off to visit the doctor or dentist​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
Your employer may allow you time off work to visit the doctor or dentist but they are not legally required to do so unless your contract of employment says they are. Your employer can for example, insist that you make these visits outside work hours, that you take holiday leave, or that you make the time up later on. You should check your contract of employment to see what rights you have to take time off for doctors or dental appointments.
Pregnant women, however, are allowed reasonable paid time off work for ante-natal care. This time does not need to be made up later on.
If you are registered disabled and your employer will not let you take time off for a medical appointment connected with your disability, they could be breaking the law. You should get help from an experienced adviser (see Further help at the end of this fact sheet).​
[/FONT]
Your employer won't let you take time off​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
If your employer won't let you take time off that you think you are entitled to, you could try to persuade them to change their mind. You could get help from a trade union representative if you have one, a personnel officer, or an experienced adviser (see below). If this doesn't work, you could [/FONT]raise a written grievance [FONT=Arial,Arial]with your employer, and, if you need to take matters further, make a complaint to an [/FONT]employment tribunal[FONT=Arial,Arial]. You should think carefully before doing either of these things, as it might have a negative affect on your relationship with your employer, and could even put your job at risk. There are strict time limits for complaining to an employment tribunal, and you should check that these do not run out before you make your complaint.​
[/FONT]
Your employer dismisses you for taking time off​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
If you are an employee, your employer cannot dismiss you for taking time off work unless they have first gone through a standard dismissal and disciplinary procedure (you are unlikely to be an employee if you are a subcontractor, freelancer or casual worker). If you are in this situation, you should talk to an experienced adviser straight away (see below). The adviser may be able to persuade your employer to take you back. If this doesn't work, you may be able to complain to an employment tribunal. If you are dismissed while on maternity leave you may be able to make a claim to an employment tribunal for both [/FONT]unfair dismissal [FONT=Arial,Arial]and [/FONT]sex discrimination [FONT=Arial,Arial](but you may need to raise a written grievance with your employer first).
There are strict time limits for complaining to an employment tribunal, and you should check that these do not run out before you make your complaint. You should get advice from an experienced adviser (see below).​
[/FONT]

You may coincidentally be sick on the day of your appointment. After all, you're more likely to be sick if they won't let you go to the doctors... :rolleyes:
Either that, or every time you walk past the manager, keep whispering "constructive dismissal"... :)
H

sammiboo said:
Well I intend to carry on seeing the doctor and going to the hospital when I am given my appointments and see what happens. Its a bit petty really, if they pester me about it I might just make a formal complaint saying I feel like I am being victimised since my accident.
play the system sammi.your looking to leave anyway so take sick days or whatever you need.
if they start playing silly buggers then go to HR and tell them you feel pressurused/victimised or whatever.
if you get decent sick pay then start taking more than one sick day for the appointment.

want to get your health sorted as i worked with ligament damage nad now my ankle is fecked as a result

as the posts says, legally you ave no grounds to insist you have the time off.

However, as has also been stated on here, if you were to take ill as a result of not going to the appointments, you have a case against them and can take legal action.

I had the same argument in a previous job over knee physio. I got round it by going first and then they saw my mobility improve, and when i got the next appoiontment, it was no prob's...

If i were you, i would speak to your boss, and explain your not feeling well and need to getit checked out. Blag that you feel your getting worse and want to sort it now before you end up having more time off sick as well as your appointments.

Some really good advice on this thread especially the fact sheet all i can add through personal experience is keep a diary of everything thats said and done during this conflict of interests including times, dates, names, conversations etc. You will find it invaluable should it get more serious between you & your employer. Get better soon.(y)

As already stated, the employer does not have a legal obligation to let you have time off work, as appointments should be made during your own time, where reasonably possible.

Also, as stated, they could take disciplinary proceedings through to dismissal, but they would then run the risk of you taking them to court for 'unfair dismissal', depending on how long you have been in the job.

Don't know what work you do, but could there be any possibility that your job is further exacerbating the injuries/pain caused by the crash? If so, it might be worth using that to your advantage.

Hope you get it sorted Sammi

Must depend on the workplace. My landlady works for the council and quite often gets half days so she can go to the doctors, and although she took them as holiday she just got those days awarded as sick leave because she had doctors notes...

If you work for a caring, understanding and compassionate employer then you should be able to take time off for Hospital / Health appointments providing you follow a few simple rules. Before asking for any time off make sure you have an official appointment letter and show this to your Manager. Tell them that is inconvenient for both parties but it isn't practical to arrange an appointment outside works time. If possible can you take a part day of full days holiday to cover the absence. If your employer has a Personnel Dept then ask them what the company procedure is for taking time off for health appointments. If you feel that by taking time off it may lead to some form of disciplinary action being taken against you then it sounds like your employer isn't worth working for and you need to find a new job.

xray and hospital appointments cant be same as doctors, there usually doctors open after work time but hospital isn't.

my uncle used to get his hair cut in work time, his argument was it grows in work time, so it gets cut in work time, i was only young and don't know if he was joking or not

Last edited:
well they said the hospital Xray department was closing at 5 so had to be there before then.

I should get the results next week. I did warn them before I came back to work that I might have to see the doctors and hospital frequently. They said this wasnt a problem aslong as i submit my appointment cards. I cant see whats changed.

They have been weird with me ever since i got back from being off sick.

Back