Technical Can I use E10 unleaded in my 2016 Panda

Currently reading:
Technical Can I use E10 unleaded in my 2016 Panda

Loomesy07

I have a fiat panda 4 x 4 2016 I have been using E5 unleaded fuel as I was concerned E10 would damage my car. However due to the price of E5 being so expensive, would it be safe to use E10.

I have a fiat panda 4 x 4 2016 I have been using E5 unleaded fuel as I was concerned E10 would damage my car. However due to the price of E5 being so expensive, would it be safe to use E10.
Just a thought , does it say on inside of filler cap?
Another thought some say they get better MPG and performance on E5 which may outweigh the cost differential.
Online search showed Gov. website says should be OK:-
E10 petrol is cleared for all Fiat vehicles with petrol engines starting from 1st January 2001 (Euro 3 emission level), except the following vehicles:
  • Barchetta: 1.8 litre
  • Bravo/Brava (Type 182): 1.6 litre
  • Doblò: 1.6 litre
  • Marea: 1.6 and 2.0 litre
  • Multipla: 1.6 litre
  • Palio: 1.6 litre
  • Punto (Type 188): 1.8 litre
  • Stilo: 1.6 litre (only displacement 1.596 cm3), Stilo 1.8 litre and Stilo 2.4 litre
Owners of these vehicles, and Fiat cars from before 2001 should continue to use E5 petrol.

I have noticed a bit of an issue when I have used E5 petrol in my 1.2 Panda. Specifically the high octane premium E5 stuff. The engine becomes a bit hesitant to start and runs a little bit lumpy at idle. I put this down to the high octane level petrol having a higher temperature flash point. It's ok when mixed with a bit of E10 though.

I have noticed a bit of an issue when I have used E5 petrol in my 1.2 Panda. Specifically the high octane premium E5 stuff. The engine becomes a bit hesitant to start and runs a little bit lumpy at idle. I put this down to the high octane level petrol having a higher temperature flash point. It's ok when mixed with a bit of E10 though.
Strange, I would have thought engine would be happier running on pure petrol, still what ever works best eh!:)

All petrol cars (of any make) made after 2010 (and in many cases, earlier than that) are safe with E10 fuel. It's an international 'law' (code of compliance or words to that effect). The only things that really suffer are 'simple' (non fuel injected) engines like lawn mowers etc where the carburettor gaskets tend to wrinkle if left standing filled with fuel.

There's a confusion here because only higher octane fuels (97 grade or 'Super Unleaded') are available as E5. Its the higher octane, not the lower ethanol content that leads to more power and potential gains in economy.

Last edited:
Do I take it its a Twinair..?

I've got 2 x twinairs, and a FIRE in a 500

They all run on Supermarket E10, no issues from me

The only issue I’m aware of with E10 is on much older, usually carburetor fueled vehicles where if left sitting in the vehicle it attacks rubber fuel pipes and certain carb parts. You can normally buy upgrade kits for most classics now to make then E10 compatible. If you filled a classic with E10 for a long trip and made sure you pretty much ran it out before you refilled with E5 then there wouldn’t be a problem. It’s not like when we went from 4 star to unleaded by a long shot

My 2023 TA Cross says E5 and E10 in the fuel flap. I use E5 but the times there has been no super available it has ran perfectly fine on E10 with no noticable difference in performance / running and actually appeared to get slightly better mpg confusingly
My panda ran on E5 the very best when E10 came along I noticed it didn’t have the same power and didn’t idle right so I moved to super unleaded and all my issues went away it’s a bit more expensive my TA is 2013

My 2023 TA Cross says E5 and E10 in the fuel flap. I use E5 but the times there has been no super available it has ran perfectly fine on E10 with no noticable difference in performance / running and actually appeared to get slightly better mpg confusingly

We‘ve tried both with the 4x4 twin air honestly can’t tell the difference although I don’t drive it much but the MPG is poor with both.

We‘ve tried both with the 4x4 twin air honestly can’t tell the difference although I don’t drive it much but the MPG is poor with both.
My mpg was never any good around the town I would get between 26/28 the most I’ve got on a long journey was 45 I take it the wee engine has to work harder than most

My mpg was never any good around the town I would get between 26/28 the most I’ve got on a long journey was 45 I take it the wee engine has to work harder than most

My wife gets around 38mpg but it's all short journeys she goes back and forward to her work so around 15-20 miles a day five days a week and a bit of shopping at the weekend.

My 2019 TA has a label inside the fuel flap says use 95RON etc and it also says E3 and E10 are OK. I have tried E10 in the TA and will not use it again unless I have to, The TA loses a lot of power with E10 and is less economical. There are hills between here and Manchester which require 4th gear and full throttle to get up with E10 that can be driven in 6th on 2/3 throttle on E5. As the fuel consumption is at least 5mpg worse on E10 I just avoid it. All post 2012 cars are supposed to be OK using E10.
Ive had two TAs and they were as different as chalk and cheese. Notable when Eco is on a big difference in power. If you are local running and the car doesnt stand about E10 might work for your particular car.
I have an additive for using E10 in the mower but its not cheap so using E5 is no more expensive.
If it was E50 was available and was better for the planet I would take the hit and use it, but its another one of those things that may or may not actually be beneficial in overall terms.
One day soom E5 will be gone and I shall need another car as my TA is unacceptable on the E10.
Sounds like Pannetoni my last TA it was B awful on fuel. Overall 37mpg and 50 was the absolute best it ever gave up. The new one (Noop - for New Panda - with a Norfolk lilt) is miles better but only 18 months newer. It does 40 around town and 50 on a run and can be coaxed to 60 with a lot of effort. It also feels a great deal more muscular. I think fuel maps are not all the same! Noop uses around 5mpg more on winter tyres, but its definitely worth it for rock solid grip in all conditions in the cold and wet season.

Back