Off Topic Can anyone help me with some tips please?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Can anyone help me with some tips please?

Just seen this thread and thought I would add my thoughts, as a previous buyer and seller of second hand motors over the last 20 years. I personally would never buy a car from a private seller away from there own home, what are they trying to hide by arranging to meet somewhere neutral. Ideally you want the engine to be cold to check it, if they've driven to a meeting point is not going to be. I would expect a buyer to be a bit cheeky, after all they want the vehicle for as cheap as possible, what you see as a minor problem a buyer will make a big deal of to try and drive the price down, I know I have. Maintenance costs are expected, the car will still only be worth what the good book says. If you've got a receipt for 2 grand it won't make a grand car worth any more! Lastly, your selling it, why get attached, if it goes to someone you can't stand does it really matter, you've sold it and are moving onto your next pride and joy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Can anyone help me with some tips please?

Dee
Just seen this thread and thought I would add my thoughts, as a previous buyer and seller of second hand motors over the last 20 years. I personally would never buy a car from a private seller away from there own home, what are they trying to hide by arranging to meet somewhere neutral. Ideally you want the engine to be cold to check it, if they've driven to a meeting point is not going to be. I would expect a buyer to be a bit cheeky, after all they want the vehicle for as cheap as possible, what you see as a minor problem a buyer will make a big deal of to try and drive the price down, I know I have. Maintenance costs are expected, the car will still only be worth what the good book says. If you've got a receipt for 2 grand it won't make a grand car worth any more! Lastly, your selling it, why get attached, if it goes to someone you can't stand does it really matter, you've sold it and are moving onto your next pride and joy.

I see what you are saying but a wee bit cheeky, and a bit of over exaggeration are completely different from being rude and insulting. Also I would think that a car that has had money care and attention spent on it, would be a far better example than a car of the same age which had been run into the ground, abused and had no money or time spent on it, and would therefore be worth more money. I expect someone to try and get a cheaper price, that's only natural, but there's no need to insult people is all.

And I can't speak for everyone, but it wasn't so much I didn't want the car to go to him or want his money, I just don't want to do business with someone who makes my skin crawl :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Money spent and care and attention lavished onthe vehicle on the vehicle will make it more desirable and easier to sell in the future but not necessarily make it more valuable. It may put it into the good condition category. But still won't exceed it's overall valuation. This is just my opinion, I know what I look for when buying cars and in the same manner know what to expect when selling. I agree don't sell it for less than you think it's worth, but don't be suprised when people turn there noses when you state you've spent x amount of pounds putting the car right, if you hadn't you'd be selling it as spares or repair!

Funny how if you sell someone a car for £150 then they will invariably come back to complain about something.
That's because they think that a 150 quid car is actually identical to a £250 one that has been serviced and well looked after.
You don't need to accomodate their ignorance.
The best line is always... "If you can't afford it, why are we both wasting one anothers time.?."

There will always be people trying it on for a bargain and there will always be aggressive buyers and sellers. Personally; I just don't have to accomodate them

Fair play Cameron...

A car is worth what someone will pay for it, true. It is also what someone will sell it for..;)

This is true, I know the value of my car, and I was already asking less due to aforementioned problems, I am very fair, I do not want to rip anyone off obviously :) I also said to him in his emails when he offered me a low amount, I advised him not to come as he would be wasting his time, and he still tried it on.

Money spent and care and attention lavished onthe vehicle on the vehicle will make it more desirable and easier to sell in the future but not necessarily make it more valuable. It may put it into the good condition category. But still won't exceed it's overall valuation. This is just my opinion, I know what I look for when buying cars and in the same manner know what to expect when selling. I agree don't sell it for less than you think it's worth, but don't be suprised when people turn there noses when you state you've spent x amount of pounds putting the car right, if you hadn't you'd be selling it as spares or repair!

Im not trying to make it exceed its overall valuation, in actual fact I am selling it for less than its worth "In the book" due to small problems which I am honest and upfront about, of course I havent disclosed those prices on here, so you werent to know that. But Im sorry, if someone hears that a car has had time, care and money spent on it and views it as a reason to make rude comments then I will obviously be hesitant to business with that person, everyone has an opinion, but being rude about it is just not on.

The process of privately selling a car is rarely enjoyable, you will always get a few time wasters but if you hang on I'm sure you'll get what you want or someone will come along thats nice enough that you think you'll let the car go for a tiny bit less. I think its good thing that you like your buyer, makes the deal making stage far less 'aggressive'.

Kev.

Were you going through puberty when you had the symtoms of severe clacking?

re (I used to bandage the area for protection, then you could clack at nutty speeds for longer and not visit the nearest hospital) secondly they exploded at times

I thought it began with a W.........
Dave

Kev.

re (I used to bandage the area for protection, then you could clack at nutty speeds for longer and not visit the nearest hospital) secondly they exploded at times

Dave

:ROFLMAO:

My sister was the "clacker" in our house, gave her terrible acne :eek:

Kev.

Dave

Dave...that's one of your best ones for awhile... Clack

Hi, ok, first off on NO ACCOUNT LET HIM DRIVE THE CAR either on his own or with you as a passenger. You do not know the guy and he could take off with it or drive it like a road racer. That is definately off line.
By all means take him for a drive and let him see it runs ok, as for the money it owe's you well that's a personal issue and i doubt you can ever introduce that as an argument of why it is more expensive than the same model, same year, milage etc. (if indeed it is)
If the car is in good condition, price is right then don't worry a buyer will see it for what it is worth and buy without any hassle. They may try to knock you down but hold your nerve and tell hime there's little movement on the price.
Good luck.

Hi, ok, first off on NO ACCOUNT LET HIM DRIVE THE CAR either on his own or with you as a passenger. You do not know the guy and he could take off with it or drive it like a road racer. That is definately off line.
By all means take him for a drive and let him see it runs ok, as for the money it owe's you well that's a personal issue and i doubt you can ever introduce that as an argument of why it is more expensive than the same model, same year, milage etc. (if indeed it is)
If the car is in good condition, price is right then don't worry a buyer will see it for what it is worth and buy without any hassle. They may try to knock you down but hold your nerve and tell hime there's little movement on the price.
Good luck.

Thanks for your comment, in this case it is actually advertised cheaper than the same model, same year etc. But I see your point.

He was man, without a doubt one of the most irritating people i've ever had the misfortune of meeting
If a prospective buyer tries to "beat you up" so to speak before you've even met - then that can't be a good sign can it? Buying and selling always has a bit of panto attaced to it, but there's no excuse for being rude and derogatory about you and your car.
I bet he was fun when he was an active copper!

Have to say, as a buyer, I would never, ever part with cash for a car I hadn't driven so you may have to make your own mind up on that one. Every one I've sold I've let the buyer drive at least a short distance just to get a feel, but if you've got an idiot you don't want to deal with not letting him or her drive is probably a good way of stonewalling the negotiations with them.

Back