Technical Cam Belt??

Currently reading:
Technical Cam Belt??

Jetsfan5

Cinqs & Chester Jets rock
Apologies if there is already a thread on this, haven't noticed one!!

I sold my sporting a week ago and bought a replacement. After buying a repair manual today I read that the cam belt should ideally be changed after 63,000 miles, my car has done nearly 66,000. Thought it might be cheaper to have the cam belt done now (as I have loads of history with the car, but no cam belt receipt),rather than wait for it to go and bugger the engine up.

Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have done in a garage, alternatively, how difficult it is to do yourself?

Thanks

It is a relatively easy job to do, if you take your time and follow most of the instructions.

The only thing I would change are:-

1) Do not remove the old belt before fitting the new one. Slide the old belt as far onto the pulleys as possible, fit the new belt on the exposed bits of the pulleys, then cut the old belt off, and push the new belt fully on.

2) Once the new belt is in place, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand at least two full rotations of the crank. This should be a smooth experience. Any odd noises or inability to turn the engine means a problem, which should be avoided by following 1 above.

Give the job a couple of hours.

At a garage, maybe an hour and half at their labour rate.

Cheers

D

Depends on price, if you go to fiat, you might as well burn 50 pound notes, however if you go to the independent garages it will b done cheaper.

Mine was 75 quid done by a family mate, but i didnt get a receipt becos there wasnt no VAT charge, and it was a job done 'on the side' It might be worth giving the previous owner a call, cos sometimes this is the case.

All Fiat timing belts have two white or yellow marks, one in the groove and one on the tooth which have to be lined up with the corresponding notches on the twoe pulleys. The mark on the cam pulley should roughly be lined up with the mark on the rear of the head.
To do this you need to take the alternator pulley off. I would not do it as described before as you should in any case change the belt tensioner.
The 63000 miles is a printing error and should be rather 40000 miles maximum. In any case I would change the belt now, which prevents nasty surprises.

AppleSei said:
Depends on price, if you go to fiat, you might as well burn 50 pound notes, however if you go to the independent garages it will b done cheaper.

Mine was 75 quid done by a family mate, but i didnt get a receipt becos there wasnt no VAT charge, and it was a job done 'on the side' It might be worth giving the previous owner a call, cos sometimes this is the case.

wow, that's still about £50 an hour labour.

Really.....I was robbed!!

Ignore what i said....apart from gettin incontact etc :p

Well my seicento only done 28,000 but its always a worry, i guess it snapping on a 1.1 isn't going to do too much damage but on a bigger engine car your screwed. So should i change it at around 40,000. I dont think i'll even have my car then, thats at least 2 years driving for me if not more.

I did mine at 37k and the bloke showed me the belt and said i wudve been lucky to get another 1k out of it!!

Thanks for all the advice.

I emailed the previous owner to see if she knew when the cam belt was changed (if ever), but have had no response.

I am going to get some quotes as I would hate my cinq to suddenly die. (y)

Have made some phone calls and been quoted £75 plus VAT and £104 inclusive. Think I will go with the £104, sounds a good price and the garage is near me and have been really helpful in the past.

£75 plus vat, but it is a fair drive so I will go with the £104 quote at the local garage - was expecting it to be alot more, but pleased it isn't!!!!

Back