Technical Burnt out clutch or not?

Currently reading:
Technical Burnt out clutch or not?

fleckie

I was driving a couple of weeks ago - revved up too hard in 2nd (7000rpm) and smelt the nasty burnt out clutch smell. I drove it for the first time since then just now for 10 mins to try it out and the clutch seemed fine and there were no smells. Is it possible that I haven't burnt it out or should I do a longer test drive? I'm scared of causing any more damage so really looking for some kind words?
Thank you so much to everyone who provides great info on this forum!!

The clutch wont slip unless there is a fault like oil on the pressure or driven plates, or general wear. Most likely to happen in a high gear at low revs / high torque.
Do you habitually / accidentally "ride" the clutch (drive with your left foot resting on the clutch pedal)? Even the lightest pressure can shorten the life of a clutch causing early slip.
Test :- With the car in 3rd gear, handbrake on securely, try to drive away in a spirited manner... the car should stall readily. If it doesnt the clutch may be about to fail, will need stripping out to find out whether it's because of wear, damaged release bearing / fork, or oil leak from the gearbox or engine.

Cool - I will try that out this weekend. Thank you so much for the advice! I don't ride the clutch - I'm actually pretty paranoid about treating the clutch nicely; double declutching and matching revs etc (usually!).

I toasted the clutch a couple of weeks ago in my other car after an overly optimistic start and too much traction, big smell of burning and a change in feel. It's been fine since, if not a little more progressive.

I'd just see how it goes.

Cheers for all the advice - I tried starting it it 3rd and it stalled quite happily so I'm just going to see how everything goes. Thanks once again.

Back