Technical Clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch

wooldra

I have now established that the sensible re clutch adjustment is to start with a pedal level with the brake pedal as a good starting point after adjustment. The workshop manual give the impression that adjustment is effected from the top. What has to be removed to make this possible, it would appear to be either the battery tray or perhaps the air supply tube from the air filter to the engine. The battery tray looks a bit of a so and so (considering some of the securing bolt placement, the sir supply tube seems marginally easier. Any advice gratefully received.

I have now established that the sensible re clutch adjustment is to start with a pedal level with the brake pedal as a good starting point after adjustment. The workshop manual give the impression that adjustment is effected from the top. What has to be removed to make this possible, it would appear to be either the battery tray or perhaps the air supply tube from the air filter to the engine. The battery tray looks a bit of a so and so (considering some of the securing bolt placement, the sir supply tube seems marginally easier. Any advice gratefully received.
I don't have specific information on your model, however after working in the motortrade for many years, generally there are two types of clutch cable adjustment.
The first (older type) is where the clutch pedal released position is against a stop, so you cannot pull the pedal any nearer to you, on this type normally free play is measured at the clutch release arm on the gearbox (roughly 5mm of freeplay by rattling the arm) this is so the bearing is not in constant pressure against the clutch pressure plate.
The second (later type) , which I suspect is more like yours, is where it is possible to put your hand under the clutch pedal when released and pull it up towards you, so way above the brake pedal. If yours is like that then the normal adjustment is to align brake and clutch pedal height, so if you slide your foot from one pedal it goes easily across the other. On this design the clutch release bearing is designed to be in constant light contact with the clutch pressure plate when released. Also on this type as the clutch wears out the pedal will get higher in it's released position until it is no longer possible to adjust.

In between these some companies had cable clutches with self adjusting mechanism involving ratchets and strong springs.

Back