Building media library ... please wait

Currently reading:
Building media library ... please wait

8eaker

Hi all,
Iritating problem with music on USB pen drive.
Got my lovely new 500 on the 1st Sept 2009 and immediately put in the usb stick and installed ecodrive.
When ever I turn off the engine and turn on again, the media player either finishes the last track that was playing and goes back to playing Crawl by Kings of Leon or goes straight to Crawl.
Not too much of a problem, but after restarting the engine with the usb stick already in place, it cannot browse albums/artists and wotnot - just says 'Building media library ... please wait'. Only way to do it is to remove pen drive and reinsert. then it works again.
That is with my 4gb stick.

Just bought a new 16Gb stick for the car, and it starts playing. Try to browse albums/folders or anything and it says 'Building media library ... please wait'. Tried removing and replugging in, but still never completes building media library.
I have read that Fiat say its only tested with 4 or 8gb pen drives (can't remember which) but are there any work arounds for these issues - On starting, starts playing back at the begining & 16Gb not able to browse the stick?

I didn't format the new stick, just copied on music. Maybe I need to reformat with FAT32?
Any advice or confirmation I'm not the only one appriciated!

Last edited:
I have exactly this same issue and my car arrived at the dealer around 6th August and I picked it up in early Sept.

I can still use the up and down arrow key on the steering wheel and it cycles through all the folders, however when I try to choose any of the options like Folders, Genres, Artists, Albums etc then I get the "Building Media Library... and it never completes, even after a few hours". This is with a 2gb USB stick.

Occasionally my odometer flashes too. If I pull over then turn the engine off for a few seconds, then turn it back on it all seems to work ok - do you have the same?

EDIT: This is on a Grande Punto GP.

Last edited:
I have exactly this same issue and my car arrived at the dealer around 6th August and I picked it up in early Sept.

I can still use the up and down arrow key on the steering wheel and it cycles through all the folders, however when I try to choose any of the options like Folders, Genres, Artists, Albums etc then I get the "Building Media Library... and it never completes, even after a few hours". This is with a 2gb USB stick.

Occasionally my odometer flashes too. If I pull over then turn the engine off for a few seconds, then turn it back on it all seems to work ok - do you have the same?

EDIT: This is on a Grande Punto GP.

Can't say I have the flashing odometer. Is it really noticeable?
Reformatting my new memory stick as we speak. Was already fat32 but doing a long reformat and reload on toons.
See how tomorrow goes

Its not that noticeable as I only spotted it about 4 or so miles into my journey. Its just the odometer text coming on an off at say 1 second intervals.

I have read on this forum that it could be that it needs proxy-alignment whatever that is, however given it's seemingly random, I'm not sure whether that would be true... so I'm waiting to see if it happens again.

Its not that noticeable as I only spotted it about 4 or so miles into my journey. Its just the odometer text coming on an off at say 1 second intervals.

I have read on this forum that it could be that it needs proxy-alignment whatever that is, however given it's seemingly random, I'm not sure whether that would be true... so I'm waiting to see if it happens again.

I would say its unrelated to the Media Player issue as I haven't had this issue. Have seen it mentioned elsewhere though.

Reformatted usb stick and put on a smaller selection of toons and Ecodrive. Probably about 9gb of music. The issue of building media library never completing even if I remove it and put it back seems to have gone. Can now browse albums/artists/folders etc. I'm still guessing it will require to be removed and reinserted at every start though.
Next step it to put more on it and see if its a volume based issue or if it was just a good formatting required.
I suspect it will restart and what it believes is the first track on the stick when I restart the car tonight.

That's good news - its not great that we have to keep unplugging the USB stick all the time though...

Back