General Bremen - Oslo in under 12 Hours

Currently reading:
General Bremen - Oslo in under 12 Hours

Phantom3D

Just came home from my trip with the Panda Cross. Oslo, boat to Kiel. Kiel to a small town outside Bremen, and then back to Norway by driving through Germany, Denmark and Sweden.

Here is a picture from Norway before the trip:
12525111_10156729678715204_6750968030358582795_o.jpg

Note; I changed from the 185/65-15 winters to the 195/65-15 all season before the trip.

Here is a picture from out favourite resturant, with the right all seasons.
12890989_10156729678720204_1889079063514341103_o.jpg

We left for Norway 05:20 and arrived safe home at 17:15:
12671896_10156729678705204_1612006758779947373_o.jpg

Fuel consumption ended at 7,2 litre per 100km; 39.2 mpg, note that is with the 195/65-15's. I usually stayed around 110kmh to 120kmh, but we also passed the 150kph mark 4-5 times (GPS speed). I did not try to get good fuel economy, but drove it like an Italian car should be driven ;-) I could just have stuck behind a trailer on its way to Oslo at 90kmh, but that would have been booring.

We only had two 10-15 min brakes with fueling; One in Denmark and one in Sweden.

I have done this trip several times before; 04 Seat Leon 1.8t 4x4, 03 Smart Roadster, 04 Audi A8 4.2 and 2014 120d. The panda was surprisingly comfortable, my GF says this is the best car we have driven that long trip. Her point was that the BMW 120d M-sport had too sporty seats that she feels stuck in if seatet for more than two hours.

As a driver, I must admit I missed CC, and I also wished I had a 7th gear. Constantly on 3-4k rpm vs 1,8-2k in our Beemer; Noise was not a problem, just the feeling of reving it that much for such a long time.

But the panda felt steady and with enough grunt. The all terrain tires had a bit of roadnoise depending on the asphalt, and the became a bit "whooly" at speeds above 140kmh (GPS).

Twin Air 90 hp.
I love the fact that I can take it offorad in the snow one day, and the next day drive on the autobahn (With the same tires). With rather good space for four people and good fuel-economy.

I always liked the Suzuki Jimny, it is probably better at hardcore offroad (that I never do). But it can not cope with the speed, consumption and space of the panda. Not the sound either, love the little twin-air.

4 people drove two cars down, my panda and the A8 4.2 (with 360ps). We used the panda for shopping and trips to the resturants, easy to park and good space for all four. And I still beat the Audi A8 to Oslo. Mostly because we took only two short brakes. But it still shows how capable this little ting is, the fuel bill is also about half ;)

Nice trip and great looking Panda! I've also found the Panda to be a surprisingly goid travel companion on long trips. Fairly quiet once you reach freeway speeds and also quite comfortable.

Cool picture of the Panda in the snow. You're better of keeping it clean than I am... :idea:

Just came home from my trip with the Panda Cross. Oslo, boat to Kiel. Kiel to a small town outside Bremen, and then back to Norway...
But the panda felt steady and with enough grunt. The all terrain tires had a bit of roadnoise depending on the asphalt, and the became a bit "whooly" at speeds above 140kmh (GPS).

Great trip. Not at all surprised - we set off for the 4x4 TA's sixth trip from south west England to our spring stay in central Italy in a couple of weeks and I'm still impressed by the little car.

Cool picture of the Panda in the snow. You're better of keeping it clean than I am... :idea:

It is not that clean all the time, you know how it is in Norway right now ;-)

babbo_umbro:
That seems like an impressive trip, how much time does that take each way?

babbo_umbro:
That seems like an impressive trip, how much time does that take each way?

If we go directly from Devon to Umbria (Channel Tunnel, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy) it's 1250 miles/2000 kms. We take it easy, stopping three times on the way. This time (like last spring) we're doing a week's walking holiday in Provence on the way (hotel to hotel by ourselves with route map/notes, with luggage being shipped by the organiser), so the journey's even more broken up. After a medical hiccough three years ago, caused by driving for long periods (and survived thanks to amazing intensive care in Italy) we have to stop to exercise every hour and a half, which sets a fairly leisurely tone to the journey. Very different from the trip 20+ years ago when I had a tweaked Ritmo Abarth 130TC and then an extremely hot Fiat Uno turbo ie - did it with one stop but never got used to doing 120 down the autobahn (different route) with cars catching up at 20-30 mph.

Back