General Water in the spare wheel well.

Currently reading:
General Water in the spare wheel well.

Never had pressure washer issues before and the amount of water in the car couldn't have been me washing it. Must have been the two weeks of heavy rain seeping in. Not had time to look at it today but will get to it in the week.

I read through the convo from the start to here. Panda Nuts post saying its the rear screen and you need a sealer reads as the most likely cause.

I did check the fuel filler drain and OK but good point.
Also, consensus here seems to suggest rear screen or quarter light.

Rained last night - water in car. Doesn't seem to be the rear hatch or screen as the water was only on the near side of boot floor by the wheel arch. Not yet flowed into wheel well.
I'll need to take the rear seat backs out to get all the plastic trim off but my guess of the quarter light is looking ever more likely.

Rained last night - water in car. Doesn't seem to be the rear hatch or screen as the water was only on the near side of boot floor by the wheel arch. Not yet flowed into wheel well.
I'll need to take the rear seat backs out to get all the plastic trim off but my guess of the quarter light is looking ever more likely.
Not good...
It might be worth taking out the rear light unit and see what's happening behind there too.

Well, had it apart and still not solved. Water is dripping down inside of inner pillar and when contacting the plastic grommets ( to fold the wiring loom), is coming in through there. See the No.3 photo, follow the wooden skewer thing and it's the grommet just under that.
However, on the end of that skewer is a tissue which was wet. So water is coming from higher up.
Photo No.1 shows the outside body under the light. You can just see the inside of this panel looking through from the boot side and it is dry, including where the wiring comes in.
Also all under the quarter light is dry.
Sorry the photos are all on their sides!!
Was on my own today so didn't get help with the hose but will try again tomorrow. I'm now thinking roof rail but how is that attached????

Attachments

• SDC17795.JPG
    SDC17795.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • SDC17800.JPG
    SDC17800.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • SDC17802.JPG
    SDC17802.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Well, had it apart and still not solved. Water is dripping down inside of inner pillar and when contacting the plastic grommets ( to fold the wiring loom), is coming in through there. See the No.3 photo, follow the wooden skewer thing and it's the grommet just under that.
However, on the end of that skewer is a tissue which was wet. So water is coming from higher up.
Photo No.1 shows the outside body under the light. You can just see the inside of this panel looking through from the boot side and it is dry, including where the wiring comes in.
Also all under the quarter light is dry.
Sorry the photos are all on their sides!!
Was on my own today so didn't get help with the hose but will try again tomorrow. I'm now thinking roof rail but how is that attached????
What's going on here on this mastic seal? Its just dirt at the edge or is it lifting?

1701103538321.png

What's going on here on this mastic seal? Its just dirt at the edge or is it lifting?

View attachment 433997
That's the green algae that I didn't wash off. There are a few areas like that but seems to be just the paint cracked over the sealant, the sealant is OK.- I hope.
I've now got 3 colours of drain dye to further narrow down the possibilities. Don't think it will stain the paint but I'm beyond caring at this stage.

If not too late, see if you can find a fluorescent drain marker and a UV torch. Even the tiniest amount will 'glow' and be easier to trace than coloured dye.
Yes, one of the drain dyes is fluorescent and even a tiny tiny amount jumps out at you - remarkable stuff.
The roof rail is just a guess at this stage but can't think it could be anything else right now.

Roof rail fixings (which I think I mentioned as a possible route in an earlier thread too...) Has anything big been carried that might have strained a roof bar mount...?

Bigger version of image here: https://data-84-eper.fiatforum.com/FF/FF1A2F4AF131B73BEC44A5BC8905F971.png

I think there's a screw under each of the plugs numbered 7 as well
Thanks, very helpful.
I'll see if I can see up under the headlining before I start dismantling the rails.
Nothing heavy carried but I was using the rails as a handle to rock car side to side whilst trying to track down a knocking sound (drop link). It was just after that that I started to smell damp !!

All car makers advise against directing a pressure washer at their paint in some way or another … Fiat say “keep 40cm or more away from the bodywork to prevent damage or alteration”.
Im sure you are correct. Anyone pointing a washer with (like mine) 1400psi at a car might expect damage and I have the pressure turned down, use the widest fan on the fan nozzle settings and dont make the jet point perpendicular to the suraces to ne cleaned. This summer I used my power washer to strip a cast iron garden table. Not only did it remove all the old paint but about 95% of the rus as well and that was 50 years of rust. I have been washing cars with a pressure washer for at least 30 years and the only car I have ever had a problem with is VW where it washed about 2m2 of laquer off. Once it started I suppose I should have used it to clean the roof and bonnet entirely, instead I jsut sold the car. Suprisingly the garage werent too bothered and the PX was still pretty good. Even where paint is chipped on the Fiats there has been no issue.

Its perhaps also worth saying that aside from blast injuries that can be fatal if you make contact with a person, the other thing to be wary of is tyres where its advisable not to make any contact at all. As an average British bloke, of course it usually takes 20 years for me to pick up an instruction manual so for the younger members this is something they need to be aware of.

Learnt a bit today.
Firstly there is no way for water to get in via the roof rails as the mounting bolts do not penetrate the roof skin. See photos 1 & 2. There is a welded joint within the gutter that the roof rail covers. This is where the roof panel is welded in. A bead of sealant runs along this. This could be a point of entry but it looks perfect in my case.

The only possible area that I found where water was getting in was "somewhere" in the grey painted area in photos 3&4. There was the smallest of cracks in the sealant but I could not actually pin point the source. Needless to say I chiselled the old sealant off, epoxy primed the area, then added a bead of polyurethane sealant (too dark to photo). Tomorrow I shall run another, thicker, bead over the top and keep my fingers crossed.

If you look at photo 3, the very bottom edge of the grey area (above the strut mount) is where I think the water was getting in. Can't believe such a tiny hole can let in that much water!!

Attachments

• SDC17829.JPG
    SDC17829.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • SDC17828.JPG
    SDC17828.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • SDC17824.JPG
    SDC17824.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • SDC17823.JPG
    SDC17823.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Good to know about the way the roof rails fix :)

I assume the grey paint is yours... It does look like there could be a gap or two (arrowed). Remember the smaller the gap the greater the capillary effect it has so can actually draw more liquid through than a big gap would (like the nib of a pen)

View attachment 434044
Spot on.
The grey is the epoxy primer I painted on after I'd removed the old sealant.
Your lowest arrow is where I assume the water was coming in. I'll soon find out if I'm correct!!!

Back