Technical Hole in in the rear wheel well?

Currently reading:
Technical Hole in in the rear wheel well?

daquirm

I am considering purchasing a used Panda 4x4 (2019), and I inspected one a few days ago. I noticed a hole in the left rear wheel well (it is not present on the right side). Is something missing from there? Do you have any advice for someone buying his first Fiat Panda 4x4? Is there anything I should particularly watch out for?

1694808270803.JPEG

Last edited:
On the normal Panda's it'll be on the driver's side, there is usually a round cap like this on my car
View attachment 429990
Not too sure what it's for though

I believe it should have a plastic cover over it (just to keep dirt away) , and gives access to part of the fuel tank breather system.

'Drivers side' on a right hand drive car (note original question from Budapest, so passenger side there). Same side as the fuel filler.

I am considering purchasing a used Panda 4x4 (2018), and I inspected one a few days ago. I noticed a hole in the left rear wheel well (it is not present on the right side). Is something missing from there? Do you have any advice for someone buying his first Fiat Panda 4x4? Is there anything I should particularly watch out for?

View attachment 429989
Take a look through this forum for a couple of things: the centre bearing of the propshaft has a rubber mounting ring that rots away. And teh metal under tray the protects the engine is prone to rusting through.

Thank you for the quick replies. So does this cap serve only a cosmetic purpose? Can extended use without the cap damage anything important?

@varesecrazy
This particular car has the 0.9 twinair 85hp engine (6-speed manual). Already has 100K+ km in it. Also, the car's YOM is 2019 - just noticed the typo in my OP (edited).

On the normal Panda's it'll be on the driver's side, there is usually a round cap like this on my car
View attachment 429990
Not too sure what it's for though

Yes, indeed. It is on the driver's side in the UK version, and on the passenger side in the EU version, my mistake. I should have specified it. Sorry for the thread necromancy, just wanted to clarify for anyone reading my post.

Last edited:
Update: Purchased a 100mm (*110mm outer diameter) rubber grommet typically used for wall/desk cable management for 3.95 EUR, as I could not find the original replacement part (got a 100 EUR quote for the entire wheel arch...). It covers the hole perfectly.

The link for the product is below, but you can probably get if from Ebay too:
1699426869008.png

Still holding after 500km:

1699427742854.png

Update: Purchased a 100mm (*110mm outer diameter) rubber grommet typically used for wall/desk cable management for 3.95 EUR, as I could not find the original replacement part (got a 100 EUR quote for the entire wheel arch...). It covers the hole perfectly.

The link for the product is below, but you can probably get if from Ebay too:
View attachment 433120

Still holding after 500km:

View attachment 433121
What a brilliant solution to the problem.

Back