General Fiat Panda V Range Rover in Snow

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda V Range Rover in Snow

Just goes to show that (1) four wheel drive on its own is no use in the snow - need snow tyres (and narrower tyres are better too), and (2) that a car less than half the weight is good too – less bulk to have to shift :)
Range Rover for intercontinental journies which we all do daily, and Pandas for 'whatever the hell you like' and all other journies. I know which I would sooner have. My brother has the other one. I had great fun blasting over the pennines in the panda with him in the 5 litre RR trying to keep me in sight. Unfortualtely it was a pretty narrow two lane road and he didnt stand a chance. Ha Ha.

& that ladies & gentlemen is why Range Rovers are just overpriced crap & Panda's are the bees knees 😂, there's just something about Range Rovers that I've never liked, I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of a Range Rover owner at the moment though where their becoming uninsurable due to being one of the most stolen cars in the country, I like it though how the Panda takes the p*ss out of the Range Rover by stopping right by it whilst going up the hill & then setting off again 😂

Last edited:
I knew it was this video from reading the title!

I remember when this came out around late 2018 on social media… everybody who knew me and my Panda were tagging me in it 🤣

It shows the difference in weight and skinny (SUITABLE mud/snow) tyres can make.

There was a video online about a decade ago. One of the car magazine video channels. They had a Ford Kuga at an indoor ski slope to test I’m sure it was a 4x2 with snow tyres versus a 4x4 with summer tyres and the 4x4 couldn’t get up the hill half as well

I would say taking all of Europe into account, a higher % of Panda 4x4 owners take them off road either at a course track or just living off the beaten track in the hills / mountainous areas of Europe than Range Rover owners as a whole since so many people buy them for luxury or as a status symbol.

I saw my Panda as my status symbol. If you knew, you knew - all owners of them know 😊

Just by the by, Tyre Reviews tested the narrow is better theory re winter tyres and concluded that the key determinant of performance was the quality of the tyre itself, not its dimensions.

Just by the by, Tyre Reviews tested the narrow is better theory re winter tyres and concluded that the key determinant of performance was the quality of the tyre itself, not its dimensions.

All pretty close, and an interesting (good) review. It did seem to agree though that traction was best with the narrower tyre... but really all a bit close to call. My point was the RR will have been on big, fat, and probably not winter tyres. The Panda's tyres will have been much narrower and probably full winters (which is what Fiat used to fit as standard to the 4x4)

Back