General Brake Shoe Problem Update

Currently reading:
General Brake Shoe Problem Update

I had to replace rear exhaust rubber mount today. Once done I took off the N/S Rear Wheel Drum. Have now attached 4 Photo's of Brake Shoes and Springs fitted to my car .
As you can see the Top Single Coil Spring is Underneath the Brake Cylinder. Always been hard to get that Spring across and in place. According to the photo that Haynes Manual emailed me, (See Attached Photo), there should be a hole on top of the Brake Shoe for that Single Coil Spring.
Hence I have Correct Brake Kit - But wrong Brake Shoes. They have always worked fine. Only when the Single Coil Spring snapped in two, and I checked my Haynes Manual, to find they have a different shoe setup, did I find out about wrong Brake Shoes.
Anyone out there have have Brake Shoes on their car that matches Haynes Manual's photo. If so, please send me a photo of the Shoes and Spring in place on their car.
Then I will know how Brake Shoe setup should actually look like.
Thanks.

Attachments

• WP_20220211_002.jpg
    WP_20220211_002.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 115
  • WP_20220211_003.jpg
    WP_20220211_003.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 46
  • WP_20220211_006.jpg
    WP_20220211_006.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20220211_001.jpg
    WP_20220211_001.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Punto rear brakes.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I had to replace rear exhaust rubber mount today. Once done I took off the N/S Rear Wheel Drum. Have now attached 4 Photo's of Brake Shoes and Springs fitted to my car .
As you can see the Top Single Coil Spring is Underneath the Brake Cylinder. Always been hard to get that Spring across and in place. According to the photo that Haynes Manual emailed me, (See Attached Photo), there should be a hole on top of the Brake Shoe for that Single Coil Spring.
Hence I have Correct Brake Kit - But wrong Brake Shoes. They have always worked fine. Only when the Single Coil Spring snapped in two, and I checked my Haynes Manual, to find they have a different shoe setup, did I find out about wrong Brake Shoes.
Anyone out there have have Brake Shoes on their car that matches Haynes Manual's photo. If so, please send me a photo of the Shoes and Spring in place on their car.
Thanks.
Hi. Just watched the video changing Shoes. They are not the Type of shoes that I have on the car now. It shows a Double Coil Spring at top of shoes. Mine is Single Type. Do you think those are the Brakes Shoes that I need for my car? Thanks.

Thanks.
Hard to tell from the photo but are you sure you don't have the top and bottom springs swapped around or anything?

Hard to tell from the photo but are you sure you don't have the top and bottom springs swapped around or anything?
Thanks for reply. The springs are definitely right way around. The top spring is too long to go on the bottom. Brakes work fine, but it seems the top spring, (Underneath the Brake Cylinder), should be at the very top of the Brake Shoes. Just need to find someone who has the right setup. I have the Fiat code for the Brake Shoes and my local car spares store says he can get a match. But I have to order them before I find out if they are correct. Catch 22 situation.:)

Hi, your set up looks correct to me if the shoe wear adjusters are built in to the shoe (not part of the strut between the shoes)

Check out picture in link to brembo website

Last edited:
Then type in k23 046 in the brembo search bar. Then download technical specs and view them.

Bear in mind I dont know what year / model your fiat is.

Then type in k23 046 in the brembo search bar. Then download technical specs and view them.

Bear in mind I dont know what year / model your fiat is.
Just been through their Brake Shoe sets. Unfortunately none match the photo Haynes Manual sent me. Thank you so much for trying to help me. I appreciate it I have type 188 p 04 Punto 1.2 8 valve Hatchback.

Just been through their Brake Shoe sets. Unfortunately none match the photo Haynes Manual sent me. Thank you so much for trying to help me. I appreciate it I have type 188 p 04 Punto 1.2 8 valve Hatchback.
Hi,
Are the photos above photos you took of your brakes?

Hi,
Are the photos above photos you took of your brakes?
Yes. Took them yesterday. I had the car 10 years and just followed the setup when I change Brake Shoes. It was only after the Single Coil Spring snapped and I had to buy a set from Euro Parts. A few months later Single Coil Spring snapped again,so I tried Haynes Manual. Their setup did not match my car's, so I told them. After I pushed them they eventually emailed that photo showing what my setup should be. Right springs. Wrong Shoes. Then I went to Fiat Dealer and they gave me those parts numbers. Which is why I went to Fiat Forum in the hope someone will have same Brake Shoes as I should have - Or will have a Workshop Manual with actual Diagram. Thanks.

Looks exactly the same as your set up and is listed as correct for your year and model.

Often manufactures will use more than one brake manufacture during production , sometimes the only way to know what was fitted is to look.

I have no idea if ecp supplied the correct spring , though it looks ok currently.

Looks exactly the same as your set up and is listed as correct for your year and model.

Often manufactures will use more than one brake manufacture during production , sometimes the only way to know what was fitted is to look.

I have no idea if ecp supplied the correct spring , though it looks ok currently.
It is the same as my present setup. If you look at the photo from Haynes Manual it shows a hole at the very top of Shoe. That is where the Single Coil Spring must fit. So I have wrong shoes. Wondering if extra pressure on Spring due to being in the wrong place is causing them to snap. Any ideas on this?

It is the same as my present setup. If you look at the photo from Haynes Manual it shows a hole at the very top of Shoe. That is where the Single Coil Spring must fit. So I have wrong shoes. Wondering if extra pressure on Spring due to being in the wrong place is causing them to snap. Any ideas on this?
I cant see a photo from haynes just a very poor drawing that does not show a hole at upper end but rather the pivot point for the hand brake mechanism.

Do not get hung up on a drawing that is not a technical document.

Brembo are a braking manufacturer that supply vehicle manufactures.

The set up of your springs match the Brembo ready to fit kit.

Thinking about it, the springs etc must have been the original ones when car was built. Euro Parts must been less strong, as they were less than £14.00p. Got my money, even though I had to keep springs. Maybe I should buy from Fiat. Brake Kit Left side is £18.00 plus VAT. Brake Kit Right is £19.60p plus VAT. Do not know why one is dearer than the other side. Take 10 days to get here. But will be OEM quality as was fitted to car when it was built. Brake Shoes are £!01.00p plus VAT.

Thinking about it, the springs etc must have been the original ones when car was built. Euro Parts must been less strong, as they were less than £14.00p. Got my money, even though I had to keep springs. Maybe I should buy from Fiat. Brake Kit Left side is £18.00 plus VAT. Brake Kit Right is £19.60p plus VAT. Do not know why one is dearer than the other side. Take 10 days to get here. But will be OEM quality as was fitted to car when it was built. Brake Shoes are £!01.00p plus VAT.
As I said earlier. Both times when the Single Coil Spring snapped, (Both times it was the N/Side Springs that went. The original one and the replacement). Thankfully I was close to home and managed to get back okay. That is my worry, that I am out and about and it happens again. I am in the RAC and have recovery. But it would be a pain. Just need confidence in the car again I suppose.

As I said earlier. Both times when the Single Coil Spring snapped, (Both times it was the N/Side Springs that went. The original one and the replacement). Thankfully I was close to home and managed to get back okay. That is my worry, that I am out and about and it happens again. I am in the RAC and have recovery. But it would be a pain. Just need confidence in the car again I suppose.
Hi. Put the Fiat Code 77362295 into Google. Every manufacturer has the same Brake Shoe design as each other. Holes etc are the same as the Brake Shoes I have on. Maybe the Single Coil Spring is in the correct place. Perhaps the spring just wore out with age. It must 18 years since the car was made. Maybe replacement springs were not up to the job. It makes sense to get OEM Brake Kits and replace everything. What do you think? I had no problem with the Brakes until the spring went.

Hi. Put the Fiat Code 77362295 into Google. Every manufacturer has the same Brake Shoe design as each other. Holes etc are the same as the Brake Shoes I have on. Maybe the Single Coil Spring is in the correct place. Perhaps the spring just wore out with age. It must 18 years since the car was made. Maybe replacement springs were not up to the job. It makes sense to get OEM Brake Kits and replace everything. What do you think? I had no problem with the Brakes until the spring went.

Reactions: AED
If its working as it should and the springs on there are not broken , leave it alone, just check for spring failing again every 6 months.
If in future you do have to replace a spring be careful not to extend it further than necessary to fit it.

Reactions: AED
Back