General Brake Pads and Disks

Currently reading:
General Brake Pads and Disks

Hi guys.

Just been having a search through the threads about brake pads for my 1.6 Stilo, but I cant really find a definitive answer.

I need some new pads and disks (car has just done 43k miles) but want to improve stopping power. I see that people recommend green stuff, red stuff, mintex and omp!

Can someone say which pad and disk combo is best for overall stopping power and feel?

Cheers guys
Matt

The pads front and rear on my 1.6 were shot at about 42K... JTD front pads / discs shot at 39K but rears seem fine :confused:

I have gone for Delphi / TRW pads & discs from LSUK (Lucas Service UK) - pads F & R (1.6) £37 the lot incl VAT - pads (JTD) £39 the lot incl. VAT and front discs £78 the pair incl. VAT.

1.6 with pads only - improved stopping power and slight improvement in pedal feel / response. JTD - noticeable improvement in pedal feel / response and stopping power... much better than expected for OEM style replacements and no squealing issues experienced on either (y)

I know your now thinking... but I asked about uprated pads/discs :( bear with me... it is a modification that you will have to declare to your insurers. My broker, Swinton, for both the 1.6 & JTD did'nt think performance/upgrade pads would be an issue but Insurance Co. HSBC would'nt entertain it at any premium. :rolleyes:

Unless you buy FIAT replacement parts then technically they need to be declared to your insurance company. However, nobody is going to phone their insurance company and say they've fitted brakeworld pads rather than Fiat pads, so same goes for other brands of brake pad. If it's designed for the Stilo and E marked then should be treat as a replacement of consumable parts IMO.

Agree with your sentiment Hellcat... I was looking at 'green stuff' pads at the time, which although E marked stand out due to the colour of the backing plate whereas EBC's 'black stuff' would look just like any another pad... just though it was worth a mention, to stop ff folks having any issues at a later date. :)

Agree with your sentiment Hellcat... I was looking at 'green stuff' pads at the time, which although E marked stand out due to the colour of the backing plate whereas EBC's 'black stuff' would look just like any another pad... just though it was worth a mention, to stop ff folks having any issues at a later date. :)

Green Stuff come with black pads to stop brake squeel. Plus there is always something known as black paint :)

After using Red dot/GRS fast road pads in my stilo I would never recommend EBC green stuff pads to anyone there is no comparison in the stopping power between them and they work from cold which the green stuff struggle to do ..I used the grooved and dimpled discs from EBC tho and would recommend them and found them very good (y)

The one thing that no one even mentioned is the use of stainless steel brake hoses in place of the original rubber hoses and by using them they really make a big difference on the stopping power of a car ..when I bought them I experienced a problem getting them for the car but thanks to Julian of Balance motor sport who really put himself out to help me I managed in the end to get them made ..

Just been having a look on eBay...

Mintex pads and disks = £50!

I do like the look of the grooved EBC disks, but they are £110 just for the disks! Are they worth it over the Mintex setup?

Which is the better pad Mintex or Green Stuff?

Phil - where can I get Red Dot pads from?

Cheers!
Matt

to update.... just bought mintex pads and discs front and back... arrived this week going to fit on sat.... will give a bit of feedback on what they're like...

75 quid for all of it.. the postage on top.. not bad price really

Last edited:
Just been having a look on eBay...

Mintex pads and disks = £50!

I do like the look of the grooved EBC disks, but they are £110 just for the disks! Are they worth it over the Mintex setup?

Which is the better pad Mintex or Green Stuff?

Phil - where can I get Red Dot pads from?

Cheers!
Matt
I wouldnt use green or mintex but the ebc discs are very good (y)
For the pads have a word at the rolling road day ;) getting some for the panda :devil:

Bye and large that doesn't help much as it's the rubber backing you need on the pads (like on Fiat original pads) but as said you might be OK if the pads are matched to the discs :)

My Mintex are matched to the discs and they squeal like a whore that hasnt been payed. Having said that, the braking is excellent.

Only thing I can say is that they have a very high metallic component that can eat the hell out of your alloys. Great stopping power, bad on the ears and alloys.

Just keep em clean.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've got no squeal at all :)

I fitted the rubber backing pads off the old Fiat pads onto the back on the new Mintex pads (just used high temp silicone) and put loads of coppy grease on the back on them. Quiet as a mouse!

(y)

Back