General Boot gas strut

Currently reading:
General Boot gas strut

desert rat

Not sure what fiat charge for this part, but whilst searching for one for a family members honda came across this site....

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/pages/strutsearch/make/fiat/range/Barchetta

She was quoted over £100 from Honda (available for £30 on here)

I know my boot strut was a bit weak and whilest getting hers bought 1 for myself :)

Not sure who makes the fiat one but stabilus is the manufacturer of the honda one....

I'm i the uk at the moment but will let U know what they are like when I get home :) (y)

Finally got around to picking up and fitting the new boot strut this evening... Wow! what a difference :D

Took about 5 mins to fit (remove boot lining and pop out strut upper and lower pins) ! note: fitting lower pin first makes it easier to compress strut.

Now boot lid opens with just a slight tap ! and doesn't whack me on the head when i'm taking things out of the boot (y) £12.99 + VAT

DSC03743.JPG

nice! (y) what about struts for roof? did you maybe ask them for those? i will need a pair. hm... maybe are same as for boot...

Thanks for posting this. I have one of these struts now and will fit it when I get time. Do you have any tips for fitting the boot strut?

Pleased you found it usefull.

Sorry I forgot to take any pics but seem to remember it was a real easy replacement.

I guess just see instructions mentioned earlier. remove boot lining and fit lower pin first...

6 months later it's still working fine (although its not had much use)!

use some paddle to hold cover up as far possible. and as desert rat said, fit lower pin first.

I really want one too. i headed to the site but with delivery to Belgium it costs me Total (inc VAT) £ 36.65. yeah right..(n)

I really want one too. i headed to the site but with delivery to Belgium it costs me Total (inc VAT) £ 36.65. yeah right..(n)

I know what you mean about their overseas delivery... I was trying to get it shipped directly to bahrain and nearly fell over when they gave me the postage cost.... :eek: Luckily I was still in the Uk at the time and it arrived quickly.

:idea:

Maybe some kind UK member on here would offer to have it delivered to them and send it along to you for the cost of normal postage fees paid by paypal ..?

If no one can help let me know and i'll see if my sister could have it delivered to her and post it over to you.

if i remember correctly... there are some black safety "catches" on end of struts that you should remove by flat screwdriver and then just pull off the strut out. be carefully when removing those catches, they can fly.

This will probably be obvious to me once someone tells me but how do I remove the pins holding the strut on?

Thanks

I seem to think they just push out...? ie only held in position by the force of the strut. Seem to remember using an allen key to give them a prod :eek:

I'll double check tomorrow.

You need to remove the metal band that wraps around the back of the cup with a small flat blade screwdriver, then they just come away.

140.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have a picture to show the pin that I am trying to remove. I have circled it. It is very stiff and I have just managed to push it out a small way with an alan key.

Attachments

• DSC02821.JPG
    DSC02821.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 26
yes, that pin. well, you have to use Mc Hammer to take it out.

I don't suppose anyone has any more advice?

I have now fitted the new strut to the lower end and need to compress the strut to allow the top end to meet the bolts.

This looks like an easy job but as with most things on the B, it turns out to be more of a problem than it should be.

yes. try to lift boot cover up as much as possible. you allready fitted those plastics parts to the top and bottom of strut. first fit bottom, then just press strut down and aim holes on that plastic part to the screws on cover. now just screw "bolt nuts" size 8 i think...

just make sure you secure cover not to fall down until you fit strut. or use some trustfully second pairs of hands to hold it up.

there should be no additional problems with that.

Back