General Bonnet catch

Currently reading:
General Bonnet catch

I've given up putting up with the catch in the car doing absolutely nothing. At the moment I'm opening the door, pulling the catch, then reaching over and lifting the bonnet (an unusual case of large panel gaps beeing useful) then walking round and opening it properly.

So is there any trick to get it working? There's no problem pulling the wire (it seems), it's just getting the bonnet popped open that is the case. I think.

Help much appreciated.(y)

The catch sounds as if it has moved slightly so needs adjusted up or down so when the cable is pulled it pops up as it should (they do move over time and i put up with the same symptoms as you for a while before I got that fed up, now it's perfect). Also check the spring on the bonnet is still strong and well springy.

If you fit the sound deading from the early cars (like Juppy) then it tends to make them 'pop' up more. Asbo had to be opened in the way that yours did till I fitted the sound proofing and then all was well:D

Jim

Take care. The temptation is to screw up the corner rubbers to make the bonnet lift. This will cause the bonnet to dent above the latch unit.

First, screw the corner rubbers down until they no longer touch the bonnet.

The latch unit must be overhauled and adjusted so that it just pops the bonnet up when the cable is pulled. Then adjust the rubbers upwards until they just touch the underside of the bonnet. They are there to stop the bonnet vibrating, not to compensate for a faulty or malladjusted catch.

Rgds.

Back