General blew the plug out!!!!!

Currently reading:
General blew the plug out!!!!!

stellaman

My Daughters boyfriend has a S reg bravo 1.6 16v. he was doing 60 on the dual carriageway and experienced a loud bang and the engine didnt die but was running lumpy as hell to the nearest garage by some miracle a fiat garage in northampton. they retapped the head and mocked up an ht lead, but it ran very bad not idling and vibrating with no mechanical rattle sounds so they disconnected the ht and injector to allow him to drive back to sussex on 3 cyl. Anyone got any ideas? Afriend of mine is scrapping a 98 1.3 marea and says i can try any parts off of it. Any help would be much appreciated as the lad cant afford to pay a garage.

i was wondering maybe swap ignition pack, also he had a bit of a meltdown in a loom about a month ago and paid £300 to have it replaced

first do a compression test on all cylinders. a tester costs £10 at your local motorfactor, make sure you get a screw in one, not a push in one. if you get good even pressure on all cylinders that builds up quickly it tells you that the internals are doing what they should, and then you can safely say the problem is ignition or fueling.

next, while you have the plugs out for the compression test, you should check for spark on each one. if you have any doubts about the condition of the leads or plug then change them. compare the colour and quantity of the deposits on the plugs, if any of them stands out as different to the others thats a clue to which cylinder is suffering a fault., so is the colour. report back your findings and we'll diagnose it from there.

next on your list of checks is the injectors. the 1.6 suffers from injector failure a lot. if you search this part of the forum you will find many threads explaining how to diagnose and repair an injector fault. thankfully its cheap and easy.

to test the injectors use a multimeter to measure their resistance. there is a connector at the right hand side of the fuel rail (when looking in engine bay) if you disconnect it you'll see 5 pins inside. test on the connector that is on your left, use the centre pin as the earth, and the other 4 pins are each for an injector. measure the resistance for all 4, all should give a reading of 14-15ohms, if any are lower it means they need changing, anything lower than 13ohms should definately be replaced. a scrapyard is the best place to get injectors, they cost £5-10 each.

My Daughters boyfriend has a S reg bravo 1.6 16v. he was doing 60 on the dual carriageway and experienced a loud bang and the engine didnt die but was running lumpy as hell to the nearest garage by some miracle a fiat garage in northampton. they retapped the head and mocked up an ht lead, but it ran very bad not idling and vibrating with no mechanical rattle sounds so they disconnected the ht and injector to allow him to drive back to sussex on 3 cyl. Anyone got any ideas? Afriend of mine is scrapping a 98 1.3 marea and says i can try any parts off of it. Any help would be much appreciated as the lad cant afford to pay a garage.

The most likely scenario, for me is that at some point in the past someone has crossthreaded the plug. Hence under compression it has blown out.

has the garage re-tapped the plug threads succesfully? If not a new head might be the way forward.

hi this happened to me in my 2 litre ullysse last week, spent al day taking head off, taken it to a engineering company, they are retapping and fitting helicoil for me, £18 + vat , cheaper than new head!!

Cheers all, have busy weekend ahead, if 1.6 Marea is smallest, thats what it must be. yes it did blow the plug clean out, they were last changed 18ish months ago. will report my findings after the weekend, have a good one.

Back