General Bleeding brake fluid

Currently reading:
General Bleeding brake fluid

dtwkwok

I have not flushed the brake fluid system since new, bought it since 2013. I am also aware that service guys have done it for me.

I am going to bleed the brake fluid completely and refill with new brake fluid. \

How much do I need? They usually come in 1 L bottle. Will one do it?

Be warned if you have drums on the rear you'll probably find they're(the bleed nipples) seized and snap off, the fronts are also likely to give serious issue, buy a 1l it'll be more than enough, keep the receipt so you can return it if/when it all goes pear shaped?
Hopefully it will go to plan, if you've got one, a turkey baster can be used to remove much of the old fluid ?

Last edited:
Wow. Here in beautiful Sydney, our weather is pretty decent. I can hardly find any rust after 6 six years use. I hope that I will not see any issue carrying this job. Thanks for advice, John.

Syphon off what you can from the reservoir.
There may well be a screen in there stopping you getting particularly deep :(

Give each bleed nipple a sharp tap with a hammer ..like you are starting a nail into wood:' straight down the middle'
This will give you a chance of getting the threaeded section to move.

Use a 6 sided socket on the bleed nipple. ;)

Its a good snug fit.. so will not round off the hex AND you can keep things pretty well 'in line' (parallel to the threads)

Charlie

Last edited:
Good advice above,
Missed you're in Australia shouldn't be an issue here a simple change the brake fluid can end up replacing calipers wheel cylinders and pipework just because the bleed nipple has seized and in spite of the right socket still rounds off or often simply snaps off.

Back