Technical blanked off EGR got engine light on

Currently reading:
Technical blanked off EGR got engine light on

Finnaly got around to fitting my egr blanking plate today, went to tesco for a test, when i left tesco engine light came on, i plugged in my hand held code reader and it says something like exhaust gas recirculation system insufficient air recirculation :(
any one else get that? i deleted the code and drove home and it didn't come back on

Finnaly got around to fitting my egr blanking plate today, went to tesco for a test, when i left tesco engine light came on, i plugged in my hand held code reader and it says something like exhaust gas recirculation system insufficient air recirculation :(
any one else get that? i deleted the code and drove home and it didn't come back on

I think you only get the warning light come on because the EGR valve is blocked or not working on the later CF4 engines.

As in completely blanked off?I dont thing it will work because the MAF expects to see air flow when the egr opens i think.

I posted somewhere here on this website exactly how the Croma EGR works. You can NOT just blank off the EGR port. The ECU does not measure EGR gas volumes but it does calculate an expected EGR volume based on what it has demanded and what has flowed through the MAF (main airflow sensor). Simply if 100% airflow = 10% EGR and 90% MAF then if you blank off EGR then MAF will be 110% of expected value. Over time the ECU will deduce that the EGR circuit is not supplying enough volume and the ECU will throw an EGR fault.

The nearest you can get to blanking off the Croma EGR, without resourting to an ECU map program modification, is to fit the later "bullet" plate gasket.

Again details are posted here (somewhere) by me.

well i havent had a light come up yet touch wood.
but am thinking of blanking the egr off at both ends now - BUT iv already blocked it off buy the throttle body and now going to block it off buy the pipe that goes from underneath the egr to the manifold, but i will put the plate at the egr end as the gasses need to go through that pipe to get a reading or something as iv seen two little pipe on it.

My Fiat 3 hole egr blanking plate has been working well with no emls for over 7 months and many miles. Suggestion take it off make the holes bigger or put more holes and put it back on.

Hi,

Thinking of blanking my egr off but not sure wot to blank. Can anyone advise....Thanks

Hi Dave, just a quick question as you are the main man on fiats.......I have a tiny red fiat voxon radio in a leather case with the keyring, about the size of a pack of ciggies, its been in a draw for many years and im just wondering if it would be of any value or use to anyone, it is in mint condition, and any idea what model etc its from? cheers, martin.

Hello.
I am new here. But the closing of the EGR valve is not possible with the 16v fiat. You have to change something in the ECU. Go to the multiecuscan.net and look for a guy named Tomsa, he can change the ecu for this matter. He has done mine and worked great, he also close the DPF.

We all know the 16V EGR can not be 100% blanked off. I have posted technical info on how the EGR works and is monitored on the 16V engines.

However the EGR can be restricted by a "holed" plate. This reduces EGR and associated soot/rubbish to a level that the ECU can discriminate (detect) against and thus solves 90% of the exhaust EGR issues.

I've also posted details on how to bypass EGR without an ECU reprogram.

Lastly, any ECU program change is an insurance declareable change to remain fully insured. Whilst many insurers will insure the change they will only do so if you open your wallet and pay the increased premiums. (in most cases).

I closed the EGR complete and also opened the DPF, it is fully empty, and at the dutch mot the values are in the middle and the torgue is fantastic. We have a very easy insurance, it goes by price of the car and only when you put an other motor in it it will change and the car must be cecked bij the mot.

Back