Technical bit of a problem

Currently reading:
Technical bit of a problem

minnnt

Black GP Sporting
right, a while ago now, in fact about 4 days after getting the car... i decided to go off roading by smashing up a kerb at about 30mph... (dont ask! lol)

well, i ripped all the plastic tray off the underneath of the car, and have damaged the oil compartment. now im not mechanically minded in the slightest, but it is leaking and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it would cost for a new one? its only a small hairline crack, but it is bugging me, and want it sorting. could it be welded?

thanks alot,

david.

:)

it looks like a simple fix, i.e. just remove the broken bit and put a new one in, but i was wondering if it could be welded or how much the bit was from the stealers?!

the oil would have to be drained, so i would have it replaced with new, which, tbh, is no bad think, but i would imagine it could be a costly fix :(

Must be?

Doesn't everyone know what a sump is? I mean, are there really people driving who have no idea at all what the components of their cars are called and what they do, even if they don't understand the detail workings?

All right, I suppose there are. It's just that when I was a kid we all started on scooters or motor bikes, fixed them ourselves, knew what all the bits were and how they worked, and when we graduated to cars they were old bangers and we fixed them ourselves too, if we could. Modern technology and regulations make self-fixing almost impossibe, I guess. But we all ought to know what the bits are called:(

If it is the sump, then a new one will be needed, and a general check - oh - and fresh oil.

Also, if the accident really was at 30mph, how is the tracking and the state of the suspension in general? That's pretty fast to have no effect on the wheels and suspension components. Best have it checked I'd say. And good luck.

PS. Not wishing to come down heavy on you - just a bit surprised, that's all. Different world now.

Last edited:
Must be?

Doesn't everyone know what a sump is? I mean, are there really people driving who have no idea at all what the components of their cars are called and what they do, even if they don't understand the detail workings?

All right, I suppose there are. It's just that when I was a kid we all started on scooters or motor bikes, fixed them ourselves, knew what all the bits were and how they worked, and when we graduated to cars they were old bangers and we fixed them ourselves too, if we could. Modern technology and regulations make self-fixing almost impossibe, I guess. But we all ought to know what the bits are called:(

If it is the sump, then a new one will be needed, and a general check - oh - and fresh oil.

Also, if the accident really was at 30mph, how is the tracking and the state of the suspension in general? That's pretty fast to have no effect on the wheels and suspension components. Best have it checked I'd say. And good luck.

PS. Not wishing to come down heavy on you - just a bit surprised, that's all. Different world now.

You're quite right - technology has made self learning redundant, especially for those who just can't fit it in their busy lifestyle. Don't be too hard - not everyone is as knowledgeable as they would like to be; otherwise they wouldn't be asking for advice here, right? Its a bit like saying, if the computer you're using now brakes down and you can't figure out what's wrong or how to fix it, does that make you a dunce? Not in my books :)

Sorry to hear aboot your kerb crawling gone array Minnt.

I learnt tons of stuff on how cars work when I got my first fiesta 1.1 L reg, half the reason as someone said a post above - you could actually get to the engine parts asked me dad what half were / read up.

I wanted to know what things were, what they did and how they worked.

I suggest getting some jacks (not friends called Jack..) and hoisting front end up, get underneath and have a really good inspection!

In Febuary this year when it snowed, I had a 17 low profile wheel met kirb side on accident... and that was only about 12 mph - but it wrecked the alloy, screwed up tracking wheel was right and wheels were straight.

All fixed now, but won't ever be perfectly straight.. :cry: But it's one of those things.

Get a picture up, if it's oil sump they're easy to replace. Good luck (y)

Back