Styling Biggest rims to fit the panda?

Currently reading:
Styling Biggest rims to fit the panda?

all i wanted was to make my MJ look like one of its sportier family models, did not want it to stick like sh+t to a blanket, just look a little sportier, if i made it handle worse i never noticed,it never made it any quicker

Not a problem with that. It's not what I'd do because I value handling over looks but if it does what you want it to then that's great. We can all agree that a lot of cars do benefit (lookswise) from a set of wheels which are an inch or two bigger. But this guy was trying to argue that it would decrease understeer which it most certainly wouldn't.

Forums are great for opinions, ie I could argue that a Panda looks nicer on 13's than 15's or 16's and you could disagree. At the end of the day no one is right or wrong, it's down to preference. But when it comes to saying that bigger wheels will reduce understeer then there's nothing to say to him but that he's WRONG WRONG WRONG. There's is no agreeing to disagree when it comes to topics like this :)

Bebbe stop pratling on about wide tyres as well. Have you ever heard of something called rolling resistance? If you fit wider tyres to a car that has enough grip already all you do is slow it down. Wider tyres create resistance and that just slows you down. My old Fiat 131 made do with 165 tyres and handled just fine. Overtyring a car is one of the worst things you can do to it..... but do whatever you want to and put silly wide tyres on your car. It doesn't bother me, just don't come around pretending that it makes your car better than standard because it doesn't.

Don't understand? Someone must be stupid here. What am a saying in the last input Iv'e made. Some people say the 911 porche is a bad handling car. So why is it among the fastest in the right hands?

Stupid arrgont english peopel is almost wors than the Amerícan type :rolleyes:

Try to read and understand what I am saying.

Oh, well bratts are cool behind the computer.

Edit; no the stupifd one is me! Trying to argue with bratts that just driving bratt cars.........

You came here asking for advice and spouting off about bigger wheels reducing understeer which is a load of crap and then when everyone started to disagree you chuck a hissy fit. Now I'm Australian and because of that I'm not as polite as these "arrogant" English types here so I'll just say that if you don't like what you're being told there are a whole lot of other sites on the internet where you can talk to people who have no understanding of how cars handle and they'll be only happy to agree with your ill reasoned opinions.

Or in other words.... there's the door ->

306Maxi i have to take some blame on here, i replied to Bebbe saying that i thought swapping the wheels did improve the handling on my MJ, so i appolagise to all, ok it might have been a statement that i should have worded better,(meant to say that if i chucked it into a tight corner well above the national speed limit and nailed it i got chunks of tyre roll ?) not that i ever did this you understand,i think I expresed this as understeer, anyway here is my appology Sorry:eek:, Alan...

306Maxi i have to take some blame on here, i replied to Bebbe saying that i thought swapping the wheels did improve the handling on my MJ, so i appolagise to all, ok it might have been a statement that i should have worded better,(meant to say that if i chucked it into a tight corner well above the national speed limit and nailed it i got chunks of tyre roll ?) not that i ever did this you understand,i think I expresed this as understeer, anyway here is my appology Sorry:eek:, Alan...

Then if you could drive faster with the car how could it maket it wors?

Once again. Don't understand how a question about what size of rims a Panda could manage will be a qustion about if the car will understeer this or that and the handlig will be this or that. When I se a Panda I will say that handlig isn't the first thing I think about. And if that was the question I don't think the rims would be the first thing I was going to look at to make it better.

All I say is that you could corner faster with the 16" than the standars 13". Ok much do to more grip and so on. But still the car will be settled down and managed to take cornes without any drama. At least untill you get to the limmit. But as I say before this is NOT a "limit" car this is a commuter car.

Must be that some one don't want to understand or someone really don't understand.

This is no race car :D This is a not so expensive ordinary senior car here in Sweden, so maybe all understan not the kind you will make "fast".

All I say is that the 16" will make the car settle down at same speed compared to the 13" with STANDARD tyres!!

Last edited:
Just to add my twopence worth...

I personally think the Panda (particularly 100HP) would look better with 16s, but as far as everything else goes (handling etc) then I don't know because I've never driven one with that size and I'm not particularly clued up to know what it would do. But if we're just talking about aesthetics, then yes, better IMO.

My friend has a Clio with 18s on and it's also lowered, and I think that's ridiculous. They're so big that they disappear into the wheel arches which I reckon looks stupid, and handling-wise I couldn't say as I haven't driven it, but I do know he can't get a full turning circle because they start to rub against the wheel arches. As a passenger in the car it's also very uncomfortable in both the front and the back (worse in the back) because it's so ridiculously firm. I'd say if you're going to upsize rims then it's something you should seriously consider not doing if you don't want to sacrifice handling and comfort. Although that depends entirely on how big you want to take them.

Just to add my twopence worth...

I personally think the Panda (particularly 100HP) would look better with 16s, but as far as everything else goes (handling etc) then I don't know because I've never driven one with that size and I'm not particularly clued up to know what it would do. But if we're just talking about aesthetics, then yes, better IMO.

My friend has a Clio with 18s on and it's also lowered, and I think that's ridiculous. They're so big that they disappear into the wheel arches which I reckon looks stupid, and handling-wise I couldn't say as I haven't driven it, but I do know he can't get a full turning circle because they start to rub against the wheel arches. As a passenger in the car it's also very uncomfortable in both the front and the back (worse in the back) because it's so ridiculously firm. I'd say if you're going to upsize rims then it's something you should seriously consider not doing if you don't want to sacrifice handling and comfort. Although that depends entirely on how big you want to take them.

God input (y)

Just that kind of thing I would like to know on the Panda.

I aggreee that 18 on a Clio is a bit much more like 17" would be maximum. Does it even looks nice?

I suppose as on the panda you sould'nt go for more than 16". Difference between 15" and 16" would probably not feel so much.

Lol...That's a standard 100hp....:p:slayer:

Haha, it is a little firm, but I honestly don't have a problem with it. I've been used to my old Mk2 Punto absolutely destroying my bone structure over the slightest bumps, and compared to that the 100HP is a pretty smooth ride! :worship:

In response to bebbe, the 18s look awful IMO. Even 17 is pushing it Clio-wise.

The standard Panda 100HP comes with 15s and it drives superbly. Until someone else takes the plunge and can give me some factual evidence that 16s are better, then I won't be considering an upsize.

If you have the MJ then why not just upgrade to the Panda 14 alloys?
I used to drive an MJ with those and it was good, and probably a great improvement from the 13 standard wheels. If you're looking for an improvement in handling etc, then that's what I'd be looking at, nothing more really.

Haha, it is a little firm, but I honestly don't have a problem with it. I've been used to my old Mk2 Punto absolutely destroying my bone structure over the slightest bumps, and compared to that the 100HP is a pretty smooth ride!

Same as me!...My old 55s had no rear shocks left by the end (RIP Mate! :cry:)

If you have the MJ then why not just upgrade to the Panda 14 alloys?
I used to drive an MJ with those and it was good, and probably a great improvement from the 13 standard wheels. If you're looking for an improvement in handling etc, then that's what I'd be looking at, nothing more really.

We cant shoose those here in Sweden. The car is wery limited on what to get to it. For an exampel I didn't want rails but they only import cars with rails so I got some anyway :rolleyes:. Well maybe I can cut them of :D

I wanted to have some bigger rims on it mostley to get it to look a little more fun. I like the comfort in the car soft and nice as comuter car should be (specially in the city). It will not be as soft with new rims and maybe lowered 30mm. But it will take the seniors car look away. At least a little bit. If we could by a Panda MJT with the 100hp Panda looks here in Sweden I would by it. Have never understod why a car must look dull only because it's a commuter car?

So since I'm going to get me new rims I thought that I might as well get me more than 14" but I don't want the problems with anything rubbing against the tyre. That's why I asked this question.

Think 15" or 16" is the right one. But I'm not sure what ET and so on I should shoose on them. Suppose it's more important on the 16" than the 15". Someone knows what size and ET the 15" on the 100HP panda has?

Think 15" or 16" is the right one. But I'm not sure what ET and so on I should shoose on them. Suppose it's more important on the 16" than the 15". Someone knows what size and ET the 15" on the 100HP panda has?

The track on the 100hp is wider than the other panda's so the offset for the 100hp wheels is likely to be different as as result.

The track on the 100hp is wider than the other panda's so the offset for the 100hp wheels is likely to be different as as result.

This is what I thought. Looked at some wheels on this company http://novitec.net/ and they sell the same wheels to both 100hp panda and the "standard" Panda. With the same ET. And it look a bit strange on the cars. The 100hp Panda look really ok. But I have seen some pictures on the "standard" Panda with the same wheels and it looks strange.

I could be wrong but dont novitec swop the tyre size for 100hp 194/40 and standard panda 195/45 on there 16s.

I could be wrong but dont novitec swop the tyre size for 100hp 194/40 and standard panda 195/45 on there 16s.
Yes that's right. But on the pictures I had it looked more like the whole wheel were further out from the wheel arch :confused:

Sorry if not to clear Novitec do 16s for the standard panda but advise 195/45/16 tyres but for the 100hp 195/40/16 tyres well i think they do..

On the pictures I had it looked like the std panda have les ET on the wheels compared to the 100hp Panda but it was supposed to be the same? But if the std Panda have less track width (don't know if that is the term in English) should the wheels be even more tucked in under the fenders?

On the pictures I had it looked like the std panda have les ET on the wheels compared to the 100hp Panda but it was supposed to be the same? But if the std Panda have less track width (don't know if that is the term in English) should the wheels be even more tucked in under the fenders?

A wider track on the 100hp will push the wheels further out, hence why the 100hp has the wheel arch extensions.

A non 100hp obviously has the wheels further under the arches. You need to be careful that the wheels don't end up protruding past the wheel arches. If you are getting bigger wider wheels I would say go for the same offset as they will fill the arches better anyway.

Back