Styling Biggest rims to fit the panda?

Currently reading:
Styling Biggest rims to fit the panda?

I would not dream of increasing the rim size on my integra i'm even a bit upset that i couldn't get OEM tyres when the fronts wore out recently. If I do end up getting a 100hp, I will not be changing the wheels or tyres, no chance honey.

Hello, isn't this because the integra can't handel bigger wheels. The car don't have the power? And no need because it is not so big brakes on it?

By the way. Do you have any laptimes to compare with different wheels? Don't know what time it is on the different tracks around in England so I can't compare with other cars tough (here is Sweden I know). Or do you race in any class so I can get a picture on how fast your car is compared to other cars? What kind of R-Tyres do you have? I drive on Kuhmo Ecsta V70 and have ATS DTC rims on the Speedster and without those rims I might as well do nothing to the car (suspension/bar/angles). The Speedster in standard trim need R-tyres before you do anything else. After that it is suspension. I used Spax (thought I was a little bit economic) should have bought Nitron instead. With different adjuster on compression and rebound. After I made the corner weighting and adjust with the same knob I can't get a god balande over bumps on the track. Specially in corners! Have a similar setup on wheel alignmet as the lotus 340r (can't go all the way without modifying spindels and axels). And a new adjustable swaybar in front but have not worked with that one yet.

Al this have made a big difference in handling and the tyres makes me able to use all the changes I have made.

Hello, isn't this because the integra can't handel bigger wheels. The car don't have the power? And no need because it is not so big brakes on it?

By the way. Do you have any laptimes to compare with different wheels? Don't know what time it is on the different tracks around in England so I can't compare with other cars tough (here is Sweden I know). Or do you race in any class so I can get a picture on how fast your car is compared to other cars? What kind of R-Tyres do you have? I drive on Kuhmo Ecsta V70 and have ATS DTC rims on the Speedster and without those rims I might as well do nothing to the car (suspension/bar/angles). The Speedster in standard trim need R-tyres before you do anything else. After that it is suspension. I used Spax (thought I was a little bit economic) should have bought Nitron instead. With different adjuster on compression and rebound. After I made the corner weighting and adjust with the same knob I can't get a god balande over bumps on the track. Specially in corners! Have a similar setup on wheel alignmet as the lotus 340r (can't go all the way without modifying spindels and axels). And a new adjustable swaybar in front but have not worked with that one yet.

Al this have made a big difference in handling and the tyres makes me able to use all the changes I have made.

You know the Integra has nigh on 200bhp don't you? The reason it hasn't got bigger wheels is because the car is set up perfectly from the factory to work with the 15" rims. If you put bigger wheels on it it would ruin the handling/grip balance. Later integra's (JDM 98spec on) have 16" wheels with 215/45/16s. But my car handles so perfectly as it is, why would I want to change it?

So you are comparing an integra to a panda 100hp which has half the power of the integra and then telling me the integra doesn't have the power? Have i missed something here?

On the integra I run OEM RE010's. They just seem to work better than anything else.

I haven't got time laps of bigger wheels/tyre combinations, but obviously if you have more mechanical grip the chances are you will lap faster. However, if you think laptimes don't tell you anything about how a car handles.

I don't race the Integra it is a road car that I take on track. It is quick mind, but as of course you know how quick a car on track is much more down to the driver than the car. Yes I have raced in a few series.

Spax suspension is cheap crap btw. Nitrons are much, much better. Does the VX use the same tyre sizes as the Elise (I can't remember). If so the best tyres since sliced bread are the LTS yoko advan neovas. Or if you want more grip then A048s.

I used to do geo setups on elises/exiges & 340Rs, it was 4 years ago mind (i aslo did K20A engine conversions too), so i'm not sure i can remember what i used to set the car up too. I think though that you are probably better off throwing away the spax suspension and getting nitrons. On a car like that you want to use decent components really.

Knowing a bit about elises it would be absolute madness to even dream of increasing the rim size on such a delicately balanced car. Nitrons, Advan Neovas/A048s and a decent geo setup is about all you need to do to make the car handle amazingly well. I guess the VX is a bit heavier and thus a bit less agile, but it is basically an elise.

So you spent a load of money ruining the handling and then had to put bigger tyres on it to mask the effect with more grip? :D

Chris

So you spent a load of money ruining the handling and then had to put bigger tyres on it to mask the effect with more grip? :D

Chris

If you have read the things before. Standard did not work. And if you now anything about car you understand............

You know the Integra has nigh on 200bhp don't you? The reason it hasn't got bigger wheels is because the car is set up perfectly from the factory to work with the 15" rims. If you put bigger wheels on it it would ruin the handling/grip balance. Later integra's (JDM 98spec on) have 16" wheels with 215/45/16s. But my car handles so perfectly as it is, why would I want to change it?

So you are comparing an integra to a panda 100hp which has half the power of the integra and then telling me the integra doesn't have the power? Have i missed something here?

On the integra I run OEM RE010's. They just seem to work better than anything else.

I haven't got time laps of bigger wheels/tyre combinations, but obviously if you have more mechanical grip the chances are you will lap faster. However, if you think laptimes don't tell you anything about how a car handles.

I don't race the Integra it is a road car that I take on track. It is quick mind, but as of course you know how quick a car on track is much more down to the driver than the car. Yes I have raced in a few series.

Spax suspension is cheap crap btw. Nitrons are much, much better. Does the VX use the same tyre sizes as the Elise (I can't remember). If so the best tyres since sliced bread are the LTS yoko advan neovas. Or if you want more grip then A048s.

I used to do geo setups on elises/exiges & 340Rs, it was 4 years ago mind (i aslo did K20A engine conversions too), so i'm not sure i can remember what i used to set the car up too. I think though that you are probably better off throwing away the spax suspension and getting nitrons. On a car like that you want to use decent components really.

Knowing a bit about elises it would be absolute madness to even dream of increasing the rim size on such a delicately balanced car. Nitrons, Advan Neovas/A048s and a decent geo setup is about all you need to do to make the car handle amazingly well. I guess the VX is a bit heavier and thus a bit less agile, but it is basically an elise.

The Elise chassie is balanced with 16" in front and 17" in back.

I don't think I ever have even talked about the 100hp Panda?? Min is a Multijet diesel.......... And the question frome the beginnig is what size will fit the car. Just beqause I don't want the wheels to rubb anywhere...... It is almos redicilous to even talk about handling and the Panda! If it is handling someone want's just buy another car :rolleyes:

But as told before. A Panda will work much better with 16" than 13" standard. It will not be a fast car just for changing wheels but it will atleas go were you point it.

This is almos being like a bratt debate.....................

The Elise chassie is balanced with 16" in front and 17" in back.

I don't think I ever have even talked about the 100hp Panda?? Min is a Multijet diesel.......... And the question frome the beginnig is what size will fit the car. Just beqause I don't want the wheels to rubb anywhere...... It is almos redicilous to even talk about handling and the Panda! If it is handling someone want's just buy another car :rolleyes:

But as told before. A Panda will work much better with 16" than 13" standard. It will not be a fast car just for changing wheels but it will atleas go were you point it.

This is almos being like a bratt debate.....................

I know what size the elise has, but it was designed like that, as was teh S1 with 15" front 16" back wheels.

Good point you werent' talking about the 100hp you were talking about the MJ which has more or less a third of the power of my integra.

I completely disagree that a panda will work 'better' (better is a relative term that seems very apt in this thread) with 16" wheels over 13" wheels. It will handle better with 13" rims. Handling is not about making a car go where you point it. Again you are confusing handling with roadholding, which are two entirely different things.

It is possible to have a car with relatively little grip but a good handling balance. I experienced this on my MK1 MR2 (yes they are a bit quirky handling wise and you have to be accurate with your inputs a bit like an elise), I tried it with 195/50/15s on track and road and also with stock 185/60/14s.

I came to the conclusion that the car had a much nicer balance on the stock 14" rims because the handling was so much more accessible and you could play with it far more. The car was more forgiving (which is what you want in a mid-engined RWD car) on the stock setup, but felt a bit over-tyred on the bigger rims.

However that was on a stock NA MR2. I also owned a stripped out modified MR2 Supercharger which was pushing out 182bhp (NA=122bhp), now that worked extremely well on 15" rims with 195/50/15s on Yoko Advan Neova LTS rubber. Mind you the SC had an LSD and as a result was very steerable on the throttle. I also played with the geommetry, altering the front toe seemed to have the biggest impact. It was a nicely balanced car, but I later had a naturally aspirated (NA) MR2 which i loved just on the stock rims. I used to race them like this, was fantastic, you had to basically pitch the car into the corner, let the weight balance change and the car would be very sideways and then just balance the throttle with the steering to get out the corner relatively straight.

Now if I had put 16" rims on it, it would have ruined it entirely.

If I was keeping my MJ I would not consider going any bigger than the optional 14" rims. All cars handle honey putting on massive 'wikkid' wheels will just mean you can drive flat out everywhere with the door handles rubbing the ground. That would be great fun wouldn't it?

As much as i don't rate the MJ's handling with its nannying built in understeer, it is almost fun sometimes as you have to be so smooth when you pitch the car into a corner because if you don't settle it, its all over the place.

It is almos redicilous to even talk about handling and the Panda! If it is handling someone want's just buy another car :rolleyes:

Your first point proves you have never driven a 100hp....

Your second point proves you haven't listened to any of the very detailed information in this thread....

It is possible to have a car with relatively little grip but a good handling balance. I experienced this on my MK1 MR2 (yes they are a bit quirky handling wise and you have to be accurate with your inputs a bit like an elise), I tried it with 195/50/15s on track and road and also with stock 185/60/14s.

I came to the conclusion that the car had a much nicer balance on the stock 14" rims because the handling was so much more accessible and you could play with it far more. The car was more forgiving (which is what you want in a mid-engined RWD car) on the stock setup, but felt a bit over-tyred on the bigger rims.

However that was on a stock NA MR2. I also owned a stripped out modified MR2 Supercharger which was pushing out 182bhp (NA=122bhp), now that worked extremely well on 15" rims with 195/50/15s on Yoko Advan Neova LTS rubber. Mind you the SC had an LSD and as a result was very steerable on the throttle. I also played with the geommetry, altering the front toe seemed to have the biggest impact. It was a nicely balanced car, but I later had a naturally aspirated (NA) MR2 which i loved just on the stock rims. I used to race them like this, was fantastic, you had to basically pitch the car into the corner, let the weight balance change and the car would be very sideways and then just balance the throttle with the steering to get out the corner relatively straight.

Now if I had put 16" rims on it, it would have ruined it entirely.

If I was keeping my MJ I would not consider going any bigger than the optional 14" rims. All cars handle honey putting on massive 'wikkid' wheels will just mean you can drive flat out everywhere with the door handles rubbing the ground. That would be great fun wouldn't it?

As much as i don't rate the MJ's handling with its nannying built in understeer, it is almost fun sometimes as you have to be so smooth when you pitch the car into a corner because if you don't settle it, its all over the place.

Yes, if you have more grip you have to be a much better driver to take it to the limit (and hold it there). It's the same on my Speedster. The car is really fast with the grip it has but it's demanding. You have to be quck when it's oversteer. Some what a little downside with the construction of the car but if you can hold it will will give really god laptimes.

A friend of mine is racing in the Volvo S40 cup here in Sweden. He also races in a sport series with a Mazda Miata. He is really god in handling that car (it's a easy car to drive and quite fast with the right setup). But he wanted something more so he bought a Opel Speedster that was almost race redy, even got Öhlins suspension. That car had the smaller 16" wheels on it. When we were out on the track he had really big problems in ceeping up with my pace when I was driving the Speedster with the setup I have now. He thought the Speedster was really hard to handle. It ended with a big crash and he totally destroyed his nice speedster.

So it's a big difference in driving a car like the Speedster and a fronwheeler. In my friens opinion the Speedster is crap to drive. And he is a racedriver with sponsors in the S40 cup. But the Miata he can use (but the speedster had much faster lap times).

My point is that a car can be really fast in the right hands. And a car that a man that hasn't driving so much will be fast in can some times not be a "really" fast car. A really race car can some times be a nightmare drive if your not used to it.

Last edited:
Yes, if you have more grip you have to be a much better driver to take it to the limit (and hold it there). It's the same on my Speedster. The car is really fast with the grip it has but it's demanding. You have to be quck when it's oversteer. Some what a little downside with the construction of the car but if you can hold it will will give really god laptimes.

A friend of mine is racing in the Volvo S40 cup here in Sweden. He also races in a sport series with a Mazda Miata. He is really god in handling that car (it's a easy car to drive and quite fast with the right setup). But he wanted something more so he bought a Opel Speedster that was almost race redy, even got Öhlins suspension. That car had the smaller 16" wheels on it. When we were out on the track he had really big problems in ceeping up with my pace when I was driving the Speedster with the setup I have now. He thought the Speedster was really hard to handle. It ended with a big crash and he totally destroyed his nice speedster.

So it's a big difference in driving a car like the Speedster and a fronwheeler. In my friens opinion the Speedster is crap to drive. And he is a racedriver with sponsors in the S40 cup. But the Miata he can use (but the speedster had much faster lap times).

My point is that a car can be really fast in the right hands. And a car that a man that hasn't driving so much will be fast in can some times not be a "really" fast car. A really race car can some times be a nightmare drive if your not used to it.
And he just keeps on arguing his corner.

Seriously dude just buy 20" rims and be done with it.

HEY! what's wrong with 20" rims????!!!!

TwentyInch.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Don't understand? Someone must be stupid here. What am a saying in the last input Iv'e made. Some people say the 911 porche is a bad handling car. So why is it among the fastest in the right hands?

Stupid arrgont english peopel is almost wors than the Amerícan type :rolleyes:

Try to read and understand what I am saying.

Oh, well bratts are cool behind the computer.

Edit; no the stupifd one is me! Trying to argue with bratts that just driving bratt cars.........

Last edited:
Don't understand? Someone must be stupid here. What am a saying in the last input Iv'e made. Some people say the 911 porche is a bad handling car. So why is it among the fastest in the right hands?

Stupid arrgont english peopel is almost wors than the Amerícan type :rolleyes:

Try to read and understand what I am saying.

Oh, well bratts are cool behind the computer.

Edit; no the stupifd one is me! Trying to argue with bratts that just driving bratt cars.........

I know sometimes it's hard to accept you are wrong, but you don't need to get angry about it. :rolleyes:

I know sometimes it's hard to accept you are wrong, but you don't need to get angry about it. :rolleyes:

Hhih...... mature enough yet. Or is it always like this. You are sitting far back in the classroom and saying "that's right" everytime someone is arguing with the teatcher :D

Enough with this. Now I am going to get new 8" wheels on my Panda so may "handlig" will be better then the best cars in the world. No unsprung weight on the Panda must be the whole secret to make that car just kill porche and Ferrari....... then it will rev far much more on the highway and the mpg will not hold anymore but who cares. If I wanted to by a cheap commuter car I wouldn't bought me a Panda....... or would I :rolleyes:

And trackdayqueen. It's not your argument. I reckon you understand more than others do.

Enough with this. Now I am going to get new 8" wheels on my Panda so may "handlig" will be better then the best cars in the world. No unsprung weight on the Panda must be the whole secret to make that car just kill porche and Ferrari.......

Now you are just being silly.

The argument boils down to this....Will 16" wheels on a standard Panda make it handle better then 13" ones?....I (along with many others here) say it won't.

Maybe you could do a lap (or a timed road section) with both set-ups and let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

The argument boils down to this....Will 16" wheels on a standard Panda make it handle better then 13" ones?....I (along with many others here) say it won't.

Maybe you could do a lap (or a timed road section) with both set-ups and let us know the outcome.

Hope you don't mean with the 13" standard high profile tyres. Maybe the car could be fast with 13" wider rims and low profile tyres (if you find any). But you won't win any races with the 13" standard.

If i may say for what its worth i prefered the feel of the MJ with the 15s/16s compared to the standard 13s, ,but it felt (to me) more surefooted, and planted ? the overall diameter of the 15s was therabouts the same as the 13s and not much difference in weight the offset was the same, they were slightly wider and had lower profile tyres, all i wanted was to make my MJ look like one of its sportier family models, did not want it to stick like sh+t to a blanket, just look a little sportier, if i made it handle worse i never noticed,it never made it any quicker 1.5hr Driving Lessons still lasted 1.5hrs, now if you want to start talking Superbike lap times, bike set up, then i might be able to offer some input, please dont rip me to bits the above is my honest opinion after driving 26yrs and being an ADI, and with rgard the 100hp and its 16s i dont think its any different to drive than with the 15s, if it is i aint noticed.

Hope you don't mean with the 13" standard high profile tyres. Maybe the car could be fast with 13" wider rims and low profile tyres (if you find any). But you won't win any races with the 13" standard.

This just proves (yet again) that you haven't listened to anything that has been previously written....I give up. :(

Back