Technical Big issues :(

Currently reading:
Technical Big issues :(

Hi everyone, best to start with topping the oil up last night (no major leak) just the usual rocker cover. Previous to this been having a lack of power 85 max on motorway, no knocks bangs or rattles at this point. drove fine last night and this morning. Nipped somone else petrol station only 2 miles away, on way home up the hill starts " knocking under load". And since then been getting worse To the point it very difficult to get moving, misfiring and knocking. Been off the road for 3 months ish, been driving for last 3 weeks fine, till today. Fount tat the temp gauge goes to normal but over pressurised guessing thermostat is locked shut. Could these issues be related? No mix of oil or coolant. Had new coilpack, leads. Ecu, spark plugs ect.

Hope someone may be able to help.

Thanx Jj

P.s I had another engine from my other punto I stripping, also starter motor turns as low compression :/ but fires and runs

Last edited:
If it's not flat the new gasket won't seal. If it has overheated badly it could have warped. If in doubt get it measured and skimmed if it has warped. By the time a machine shop has measured it the skimming is not a lot extra.
I caught ours early and it didn't need skimming.

A Compression test is where i'd look next
A Dry and Wet Test

If there is 2 cyl with low compression next to each other - HG blown
If 1 cyl has low compression dry - but after 5ml of oil its high = Bore/rings done(new engine)
If 1 of the values is low and dont increase with oil - its valve seating or blown to water/oil channel

Ziggy

Right, i just went for the engine change. As when i was cranking old engine you could hear low compression. Got all connected all wires in correct place and on tight. to start the engine ran very rough and cut out, a few times. Now it won't start at all, noticed the ecu is now throwing immobilizer on and fuel pump relay clicking. used coil pack and leads from other engine that was working fine in other car ( gearbox failure ) when head gasket went noticed engine Light was flashing noticed online that was to say engine running tic or something. Do you think for some weird reason ECU Fried?. Only 2 things i used from old engine was injectors and ecu. Plugged car into laptop and came following codes:

P0304 cylinder 4 ignition failures
P0300 ignition failures (generic)
P0170 mixture strength
P0420 catalyser 1
P0352 coil 2

Cleared all faults still no firing, tho on original engine had new coil packs, leads and Virginised ecu just about 1 year ago

Thanx Jj

Back