Technical Punto mk2 strange electrical issues.

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk2 strange electrical issues.

Toomasuu

Hi! Can somebody please give advice:
Yesterday Punto mk2 suddenly started Act strangely.
When switch ignition on, gauge needles shaking a bit, high beam light goes sometimes on, and odo display starts blinking.
Also AC and ventilaator fan are not functioning.
I cleaned battery connections and earth connetion near battery, but nothing helped....
Please share some advice.

Attachments

• VID_20230718_170727.mp4
    32.9 MB
Hi! Can somebody please give advice:
Yesterday Punto mk2 suddenly started Act strangely.
When switch ignition on, gauge needles shaking a bit, high beam light goes sometimes on, and odo display starts blinking.
Also AC and ventilaator fan are not functioning.
I cleaned battery connections and earth connetion near battery, but nothing helped....
Please share some advice.
also turn signals are blinking very fast.

also turn signals are blinking very fast.

have you cleaned all the earth connections near the battery or just one? Under the battery there is a small plastic box bolted to the inner wing. Thats where the instrument panel + body computer with indicator relay, and cabin fan motor earths come from
Thanks. I cleaned the connetion between body and box. Should I Open the box and clean inside also?

Check the voltage on the battery with the engine running and not running and come back with the results, I suspect you’ve got a voltage problem causing issues with multiple systems
Thanks, will check tomorrow!

Hi, just measured the voltage: 12.8V in engine not running, 14.2V in engine running mode...
Sounds OK?

Last edited:
as the voltages look ok, it’s quite likely to be an earth problem. Start with the engine earths.

If the starter is needing a lot of extra current because of a bad earth with a high resistance that can cause the voltage to drop elsewhere in the car

PROBLEM solved! I checked fuses and noticed that ventilation fan and instrument panel fuses were broke. Changed then and voila! Strangely it helped and everything is in order now.

Back