Beware of the dog?

Currently reading:
Beware of the dog?

I wonder if a burglar could sue those people if they spend lots of money on dog handler training and biteproof clothing - but turns out they don't actually need it as the house they are burgling only had the sign and not a dog :confused:
Quite possibly. I feel an example coming on. There was a certain male who was seen by Police acting suspiciously near an area of considerable security. As a Police van pulled up near him he ran off into some bushes. As luck would have it, the Cops believed he was contained in an area of shrubs and small trees and summoned the aid of a dog handler from a neighbouring division.

Dog and handler arrived within a few minutes and despite the usual warnings about coming out or the Police dog would be let off the lead, the male did not re-appear. The dog went in and within a few minutes it had found said miscreant. This was notified to the assmbled Cops by much snarling, barking and screams of "Get the fu**er off....." and other similar cries.

He was arrested but later successfully sued the Police for being bitten by the dog. Go figure.

Is the 'beware of dog sign' largely irrelevent anyway? As soon as a stranger gets a little too close to my parents' house, their dog's bark is more than enough to say 'a dog lives here'. We're quite fortunate that for a medium sized dog, he has a mahooosive-sized dog's bark.

Is the 'beware of dog sign' largely irrelevent anyway? As soon as a stranger gets a little too close to my parents' house, their dog's bark is more than enough to say 'a dog lives here'. We're quite fortunate that for a medium sized dog, he has a mahooosive-sized dog's bark.

Mike the issue is the word beware as it says you are warning people of a dog that will bite...its all in the wording.

If i have a beware of mad viscious dog sign and a thief broken and got bitten by a chinchua....chinchinualla,chincualea...sausage dog then the thief could sue even though he was in the victims house.

If on the other hand i had a sign saying 'i have a surprise for burgulars' and a thief gets his leg bitten off by a t-rex in the back garden then its his own fault.

I have a "Watch out German Shepherd about" sign in my hall window. So visitors are aware of my dog, not that he would bite anyone ( daft as a brush, and in no fit state anyway at the moment )

I did ask a Policeman friend once about the stance on these warning sign, and the repercussions did he bite anyone who broke in, and he reckons that as the sign is there, nothing if the sign is clearly visible, and they chose to ignore it.... Maybe things have changed now. Not sure.

Law and ‘Beware of the Dog’ Signs

The law takes a peculiar stance when it comes to the use of ‘beware of the dog’ signs.

If such a sign is on display when the dog attacks a trespasser, then its owner is liable for prosecution, because it could be argued that by displaying the sign they knew the dog was dangerous. However, if the dog attacks an intruder when no sign is visible then the court would decree that the owner was unaware of the threat of the animal, and is therefore not liable for court action.

Law and ‘Beware of the Dog’ Signs

The law takes a peculiar stance when it comes to the use of ‘beware of the dog’ signs.

If such a sign is on display when the dog attacks a trespasser, then its owner is liable for prosecution, because it could be argued that by displaying the sign they knew the dog was dangerous. However, if the dog attacks an intruder when no sign is visible then the court would decree that the owner was unaware of the threat of the animal, and is therefore not liable for court action.

It seems the law doesn't know it's *ahem* from it's elbow then :D

well yes and no...I can actually see the sense (or idea) of it but when it comes down to a single word that can potentially lose you your house/car etc when the robbing scum sue you then at this point it becomes just stupid.

Slightly off topic:
My parents enquired on the law regarding barbed wire on fences. They were informed that providing it was 6ft or over then it was ok to put barbed wire on top of it providing that they put up signs saying "beware barbed wire" ????

Surley that means that they are now admitting that they have a dangerous fence?

Also I remember reading a thief managed to sue a company when he hurt himself breaking into a warehouse. Apparently he managed to argue that under health and safety they should have planned for the circumstance that sombody may break in.

Slightly off topic:
My parents enquired on the law regarding barbed wire on fences. They were informed that providing it was 6ft or over then it was ok to put barbed wire on top of it providing that they put up signs saying "beware barbed wire" ????

Surley that means that they are now admitting that they have a dangerous fence?

so he could sue for the dangerous fence and dog....:confused:

Back