Beware of the dog?

Currently reading:
Beware of the dog?

Beware means "be aware".
It doesn't mean the dog is dangerous.
I reckon this is one of those things where somebody has been overzealous with thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong, and that in practice, before a jury this sort of thing would be dismissed pretty quickly.

Beware means "be aware".
It doesn't mean the dog is dangerous.
I reckon this is one of those things where somebody has been overzealous with thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong, and that in practice, before a jury this sort of thing would be dismissed pretty quickly.

It's well known that your implying the dog is dangerous though (apparently). If the dog isnt dangerous why would you be advising people to be aware of it?

Be aware and Beware are two totally different words tbh.

Be aware is telling you to take notice that something is there.

however

Beware is telling you there is something to be frightened about, something scary.

its the difference betweek 'Look' and 'Danger'

Be aware and Beware are two totally different words tbh.

Be aware is telling you to take notice that something is there.

however

Beware is telling you there is something to be frightened about, something scary.

its the difference betweek 'Look' and 'Danger'

Not according this definition:

be·ware (b-wâr)
v. be·wared, be·war·ing, be·wares

v.tr.
To be on guard against; be cautious of: "Beware the ides of March" (Shakespeare).

v.intr.
To be cautious; exert caution: We had to beware of the icy patches on the road. Beware of the dog.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/beware

Not according this definition:

be·ware (b-wâr)

v.tr.
To be on guard against; be cautious of: "Beware the ides of March" (Shakespeare).

v.intr.
To be cautious; exert caution: We had to beware of the icy patches on the road. Beware of the dog.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/beware

thats what kay said :confused:

thats what kay said :confused:

Since when have "to be cautious" or "on guard" meant the same as "to be frightened" or something "scary" :confused:

be·ware (b-wâr)

v.tr.

.intr.
To be cautious; exert caution: We had to beware of the icy patches on the road. Beware of the dog.[/I]

where? i see it near train lines and near electric things, getting electrocuted or run over by a train is is pretty frightening an scary. i see it near deep water drowning too would be pretty frightening an scary, i see beware ice on road signs crashing an dieing is frightening an scary..

signs like 'I can reach the gate in 3 seconds...can you?' can also leave you open for prosecution in the event of as dog attack.

Theres loads of this stuff on the net, one story was that a thief was bit but couldnt sue even though owner had beware of dog sign as it was on front fence and he (thief) broke in by jumping over back fence where there was no sign:D

where? i see it near train lines and near electric things, getting electrocuted or run over by a train is is pretty frightening an scary. i see it near deep water drowning too would be pretty frightening an scary, i see beware ice on road signs crashing an dieing is frightening an scary..

It isn't only used on warning signs Dave, it's a word used throughout literature.

"Beware" is literally a shortening of "be aware". You might see signs saying "Beware - ice in road". It doesn't mean the ice is scary or frightening, it means that you have to exert caution when traveling over it because it might cause you to slide if you don't. There's also signs near airports next to roads saying "Beware - low flying planes". It doesn't mean these planes are dangerous or scary does it?!!!

Here's another online dictionary defining the meaning of "beware" and its usage if you don't believe me:

"be⋅ware  [bi-wair] Show IPA
Use beware in a Sentence
–verb (used with object)
1. to be wary, cautious, or careful of (usually used imperatively): Beware such inconsistency. Beware his waspish wit.
–verb (used without object)
2. to be cautious or careful: Beware of the dog."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/beware

tbh when you read the word Beward, it is 9 times out of 10 related to something that might cause you harm or danger.
'Beware of overhead wires'

Be ware is a softer way of saying it, when there is no real harm or danger.
'be aware timetables are subject to change without notice'

Back