General Best price for a low mileage service?

Currently reading:
General Best price for a low mileage service?

As the OP I'll chuck my thoughts in :)

I'm not comfortable with letting a turbo charged engine go to 18000 miles without changing the oil. Especially for its first change.
Its well know that turbo engines are harder on their oil and I think the money would be well spent. If nothing else it will show the next owner that the car has been well looked after.

The only question for me is to whether or not I do it myself or get the dealer to do it. If I do it myself its a lot cheaper.
If the dealer does it I get a stamp in the book, no warranty bother, the car is checked (I've asked and they do) and I think the car is plugged into diagnostics and updated.

I suppose the question to me is, is that worth £100?

The only question for me is to whether or not I do it myself or get the dealer to do it. If I do it myself its a lot cheaper.
If the dealer does it I get a stamp in the book, no warranty bother, the car is checked (I've asked and they do) and I think the car is plugged into diagnostics and updated.

I suppose the question to me is, is that worth £100?

Can you not have the best of both worlds? Let the dealer do the 18k service (which will give you a full main dealer service history), and do an intermediate 9k service yourself (keep the receipts for the parts; a clued-in purchaser will recognise the value of what you have chosen to do) :).

But what if you drive in a way that you need to top up 3 liters of oil anyway after 18k inbetween services = ), so in effect you get fresher oil with only a dodgy filter, but even so if you are busy burning the oil it wont be old and contaminated because it melts away early without staying in the car too long!

you only burn the oil. the crap stays behind

If I were paying a main dealer £100 for an oil change (why would anyone do that :confused:), then I'd agree the benefits might not be worth the premium.

I'm about to book my 500 in for its second service. It has done 2000km since the last service one year ago (no use at all from July to April, then I have done 2000km since April) but the service requirements for NZ clearly state 30,000km OR annually, whichever comes first. As long as a certified workshop performs the service, the warranty is maintained. That means I don't have to drive 140km to a FIAT dealer :) I'm using the place that was previously the FIAT dealer in Hamilton (currently there is none!)

The cost will be about £150. I think that is worth it because in NZ, the third year warranty is the same as the first two years and covers everything. I was careful to check that point after reading about the different warranty in the UK.

-Alex

Last edited:
"because it makes a car look cheaper to run"

Not sure what you are talking about? This thread is about the twinair engine.

This thread is about best price for a low mileage service.;)

"but still it is absolutely best practise to have your car serviced annually anyway"
Could I ask, who says so?
This really is nonsense. Why would a manufacturer advise you to service your car less regularly than required, and at the same time deny their dealer network some welcome extra work?
I do always change my oil and filter annually, but that is probably just me showing my age, when oil was crap compared to modern oil.

AlexGS raised a good point about servicing in New Zeland is annually and it applies not only to Fiat but also to the Alfa MiTo. This also applies to Australia and the North America.
US Fiat 500 including A500 is every 8,000 miles.
Abarth 500 (European) is 9,000 miles.

It would be interesting to see the facts rather than speculation. Oil is now so much better than it was 10 years ago, in fact to the point you could probably leave it even longer compared to older oil compositions. If it is sat idle then moisture can be a issue hence the 6k or below oil change.

As for the safety aspects, most risk will be based on mileage not time, if your looking at failures. So essentially you are no worse off with a 2 year service as a low mileage driver. If you say you need a 12 month service, then really for higher mileage drivers to match that safety aspect would mean a 6 or 9 month interval. So in reality you are no worse off with a 2 year mileage based service compared to a 12 month one as a result of the mileage being reached quicker.

However I don't disagree in having early safety checks, but I disagree that you are worse off with a 2 year service compared to a 12 month higher mileage one.

An example would be a failed tyre wall, the tyre may last another 4k miles. My mother has done 4,300 miles in 3 years. So the 2 year service was done at 2,800 miles, before failure would occur. A driver doing 18k a year will have a failure in less than 3 months, long before a service is due, unless you are lucky enough to have the sidewall issue within 2 months of the service.

So I am sorry, the arguments don't hold up that a 2 year service is more of a risk.

EDIT: In most industrial engine applications, servicing and failure calculations are based on engine hours, not time between services

Good point about checking sidewalls. OH's car got a new set only about 6 months and noticed yesterday that there's a small buldge starting :( on the passenger side front wheel. She never noticed it.:confused:

JR raised the issue of ethanol in the petrol so if a car is lying it will be more prone to internal corrosion. A 323i with only 79K miles that I had was lying for about 3 years (it was no good as an estate) and the coolant in the engine ate the head gasket or so I was told. In hindsight it's crucial to fully service a car before it lies up.

Going back to the Twin Air this is a small engine with the tiny turbo. A key factor in stretching the life of a turbo aside from the engine are oil changes and how you drive it. Some facts below but I would expect the life of the turbo on the TA to last as long as the engine. TA has an IHI turbo. We wouldn't know this information for possibly another 2-3 years but it has been used on the small japanese cars.

http://www.turbotechnics.com/www/?page_id=123#
How long does a turbo last ? On average, about 75,000 miles with regular engine servicing and good quality engine oil.

http://www.vespalabs.org/User:Internetscooter/Scooters/Dry_Lake_Racer/2011_Upgrades/IHI_RB31_Turbo_Charger
These very small turbos aren’t particularly durable, despite having a water-cooled core.

Last edited:
I really do not wish to appear to pedantic. However, the OP has a twinair and was looking at costings for a low mileage service for that particular car.
I also have a twinair so would be interested in this particular thread.

"I was just wondering what prices people have paid for a low mileage service?
I've been quoted around £150 by two local dealers now for my twinair plus and that sounds a bit high to me"

I may be mistaken but I would have thought that servicing costs would be different for each model dependent on engine cc. Twinair has a smaller cc than the 1.2 so I would have assumed that it would hold less engine oil.
The glovebox service booklet identifies servicing information. The four variants of the 500 all have different labour charges. So I would assume that there is no one service cost for the 500.

Twinair has a smaller cc than the 1.2 so I would have assumed that it would hold less engine oil.

Well, you'd be wrong. The TA needs 3.2 litres of oil; the 1.2 just 2.8 litres.

Of course, these figures may bear no relation to the amount that your dealer actually puts in. 4l in a 1.2 is the worst effort I've seen so far :bang:. Also, there is no guarantee that the amount shown on your invoice is the same as the amount that's put into your sump :bang::bang:.

Last edited:
has any one who is moaning about the price seen the check list of things the tech has to do? its a bit more to do than just change the oil

Do you have the list for a low mileage service perchance?

Dave. I do appreciate what you are saying, and I would hope that what you are saying would be standard practice. However, I have been advised by my supplying dealer that the low mileage service would merely be an oil and filter change. No other work would be carried out unless I requested, and paid for it.

Well, you'd be wrong. The TA needs 3.2 litres of oil; the 1.2 just 2.8 litres.

Of course, these figures may bear no relation to the amount that your dealer actually puts in. 4l in a 1.2 is the worst effort I've seen so far :bang:. Also, there is no guarantee that the amount shown on your invoice is the same as the amount that's put into your sump :bang::bang:.

What about the rest of my post regarding servicing costs? Do you have any thoughts? Or are you just pointing out my assumption about oil levels is wrong?
Thanks for that!!

Last edited:
Dave. I do appreciate what you are saying, and I would hope that what you are saying would be standard practice. However, I have been advised by my supplying dealer that the low mileage service would merely be an oil and filter change. No other work would be carried out unless I requested, and paid for it.

According to Fiat, low mileage service includes pollen filter for AC cars and a vehicle health check.

What about the rest of my post regarding servicing costs? Do you have any thoughts?

To give the car the best possible chance of a long & trouble-free life, I'd suggest the following schedule (I've probably missed something out, I'm sure someone will correct me) :):

1st oil/filter change at 3000 miles; then every 8000 miles/12 months (whichever comes first); plugs every 12000 miles (or fit Ir plugs); air & pollen filters on condition (inspect every 12k or annually); brakes checked & lubricated after each winter; brake & clutch fluid change every 2 yrs; coolant every 3yrs; cambelt at 50000 miles/5 yrs (whichever is first). Tyre pressures/condition checked monthly & before long trips; door, bonnet & hatch hinges lubricated every 3 months. Other safety items (or MOT) annually.

If you do as much of this yourself as you are able (lets face it, anyone should be able to check tyre pressures & oil the door hinges), and use an indie for the rest, the cost should not be prohibitive and IMO you'd see a worthwhile return in longevity & reliability if you keep the car for life.

OTOH, if you know for sure you're going to be parting with it after 3yrs, cold logic would suggest doing the minimum you can get away with to get the requisite main dealer stamps in the service book, but this kind of suggestion really goes against the grain of all that I believe in.

I'll just add for wellfan that we do all generally try to be nice to each other here, & you might consider reflecting on the appropriateness of referring to Robin as "just stupid" (which he most certainly is not).

Last edited:
To give the car the best possible chance of a long & trouble-free life, I'd suggest the following schedule (I've probably missed something out, I'm sure someone will correct me) :):

1st oil/filter change at 3000 miles; then every 8000 miles/12 months (whichever comes first); plugs every 12000 miles (or fit Ir plugs); air & pollen filters on condition (inspect every 12k or annually); brakes checked & lubricated after each winter; brake & clutch fluid change every 2 yrs; coolant every 3yrs; cambelt at 50000 miles/5 yrs (whichever is first). Tyre pressures/condition checked monthly & before long trips; door, bonnet & hatch hinges lubricated every 3 months. Other safety items (or MOT) annually.

If you do as much of this yourself as you are able (lets face it, anyone should be able to check tyre pressures & oil the door hinges), and use an indie for the rest, the cost should not be prohibitive and IMO you'd see a worthwhile return in longevity & reliability if you keep the car for life.

OTOH, if you know for sure you're going to be parting with it after 3yrs, cold logic would suggest doing the minimum you can get away with to get the requisite main dealer stamps in the service book, but this kind of suggestion really goes against the grain of all that I believe in.

I'll just add for wellfan that we do all generally try to be nice to each other here, & you might consider reflecting on the appropriateness of referring to Robin as "just stupid" (which he most certainly is not).

I'd agree with that, and will basically be following that sort of schedule on mine - I changed the oil and filter myself at 3k, and amusingly it's going in for its first annual at 3500 - so that'll be a very short oil change :p

I was told when I called about mine (and it's going in for it's first annual on Monday) that it's got a campaign recall on the ignition coils (it's a 2011 TA) and probably a few software updates; I figure that early on in a new engine's life, there's more likely to be engine management updates etc, so it's good to get those done.

Once my car is out of warranty, I'll be doing all service work myself, as I plan to keep it for 5-7 years, and a car's condition/mileage is worth much more at this age than being ramped/stamped. It's not a BMW or a Merc where manufacturers service history is more important (however crap their workmanship is!).

According to Fiat, low mileage service includes pollen filter for AC cars and a vehicle health check.

Yup, that's absolutely right, although I did change the pollen filter myself but only because I got an original one for much cheaper than Fiat could supply it for.

Anyway's, yes, they did do the vehicle health check on our own vehicle. Bottom line is, in my opinion, the Fiat service centre did a good job and had nothing to advise us on other than ensuring we continue to do the usual normal weekly/monthly checks. I ain't going to get hung up about 80 odd quid for some peace of mind.

:yeahthat:
+1.

For the benefit of some of new members that have recently joined it is worthwhile doing an advanced search putting 'service' / 'low mileage' in title search. Here are a few examples that come up...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/302705-ta-servicing-service-plan.html
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/267927-servicing-spare-service-parts-thread.html
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/300110-1-2-pop-servicing.html

On the last 'low mileage' service that I had done that cost me €200 for just an oil & filter change and brake fluid and possibly a few hinges oiled/greased all I got was a tick in the 'oil change' tick box. :mad: (Click here).

There has been one point missed in all the service & low mileage 'discussions' :
If the dealer ticks that a 'service' has been done as opposed to an 'oil change' it would have legal implications. If in the unlikely event (hopefully it wouldn't happen) that you car went off the road and it was due to a mechanical defect I would imagine that the last 'person' who serviced your car would be held responsible.

Also doing an interim service as a DIY e.g. between the dealer services of 18K, 36K, etc. I would be inclined to give it to fastfit or a VAT registered garage giving them the oil & filter so that you have a proper receipt to back up your records. Also the oil is disposed off properly.

Lastly, I would be of the firm believe that on a turbo charged like a Twin Air you would be mad to leave an oil change for 18K (I've backed this up some references on a previous posting). If the Panda has a service interval of 12K and it has the same 1.2 engine why is the 500 1.2 or the rest of the engines at 18K - it's to do with keeping the costs of ownership 'artifically' low (as already pointed out by Maxi). Once you are out of the 3 year manufacturer's warranty you're on your own. The money you spend now will reap benefits if you still have the car.

Back