Technical Best oil filter removal tool

Currently reading:
Technical Best oil filter removal tool

oldmanhouse

Hi guys, what do you use to remove your oil filters? I am going to change mine in the next few weeks and remember having real trouble getting mine off last year.

On my 1.4 16V, I wasn't able to use a chain wrench as there wasn't adequare space around the filter for the chain to fit. I tried a rubber strap type but it simply wasn't strong enough and snapped!

I was thinking the "cup" type which fits over the end of the filter might be better, or perhaps one of those with the 3 "legs"?

Hi guys, what do you use to remove your oil filters? I am going to change mine in the next few weeks and remember having real trouble getting mine off last year.

On my 1.4 16V, I wasn't able to use a chain wrench as there wasn't adequare space around the filter for the chain to fit. I tried a rubber strap type but it simply wasn't strong enough and snapped!

I was thinking the "cup" type which fits over the end of the filter might be better, or perhaps one of those with the 3 "legs"?
Do you have the tjet where it is buried underneath inside a housing . Or is it the metal style filter?

Do you have the tjet where it is buried underneath inside a housing . Or is it the metal style filter?

No mine's a StarJet not T-Jet engine, it's got a metal spin-on type filter like most GPs. But I think on mine there is less space around the filter, so makes getting a grip on it at the base difficult

No mine's a StarJet not T-Jet engine, it's got a metal spin-on type filter like most GPs. But I think on mine there is less space around the filter, so makes getting a grip on it at the base difficult
OK no worries. Well I have serviced a few friends cars and I use the style that looks a bit like an arcade claw machine. I've attached a pic. The one I use the arms are more rounded but sometimes it can start to crush the filter. I believe the flat arms may work better. But also you may want to buy the cup type that should right over the filter Screenshot_2019-06-17-14-22-29.jpegScreenshot_2019-06-17-14-22-47.jpeg

I think I used a 27mm 6-sided socket to get at the oil filter on my 1.3 multijet

Tip, use sand paper for a better grip....;)

I think I did try that during last years service, without success. I gave up in the end and hammered a screwdriver through it :eek:

OK no worries. Well I have serviced a few friends cars and I use the style that looks a bit like an arcade claw machine. I've attached a pic. The one I use the arms are more rounded but sometimes it can start to crush the filter. I believe the flat arms may work better. But also you may want to buy the cup type that should right over the filterView attachment 201114View attachment 201115

Thanks, the claw type looks like it would get a good grip - I will try one of those out, maybe get some some wide jaw pliers as a backup

I think it depends on access. Some types suit different locations better than others. In my humble opinion cups are best if you can get one on with space to turn a ratchet. Some aftermarket filters have a different pattern to oe though so if you buy one, make sure the replacement filter has same indentations as the one you're removing, otherwise you'll need a different one next time.

How did you get on in the end mate?

TIP
To save buying tools, grab a long flat blade screwdriver punch right through the filter, acts as a lever and will spin off nice and easy [Although a bit messy]….But it works!
If a filter is fitted correctly [nipped up hand tight] all filters can almost be removed by hand
LUIGI

How did you get on in the end mate?

So I bought some oil filter pliers, and a 3-leg wrench. The pliers were too large, and I couldn't get them round the filter but the 3-leg wrench worked out well. The filter wasn't actually on that tight so probably could have undone it by hand. I didn't buy the "cup" type in the end, but i reckon that would probably work best - there is enough room for using it. The 3-leg wrench is a bit fiddly but did the job

TIP
To save buying tools, grab a long flat blade screwdriver punch right through the filter, acts as a lever and will spin off nice and easy [Although a bit messy]….But it works!
If a filter is fitted correctly [nipped up hand tight] all filters can almost be removed by hand
LUIGI
I did that last year, it certainly worked but very messy!

Last edited:
So I bought some oil filter pliers, and a 3-leg wrench. The pliers were too large, and I couldn't get them round the filter but the 3-leg wrench worked out well. The filter wasn't actually on that tight so probably could have undone it by hand. I didn't buy the "cup" type in the end, but i reckon that would probably work best - there is enough room for using it. The 3-leg wrench is a bit fiddly but did the job

I did that last year, it certainly worked but very messy!
TOP TOP TOP TIP
Punch a hole in the bottom first to drain out the oil from the filter first.....Still messy but not as bad!

I’ve always used a chain type removal tool and never once had problems with space, even on my current 1.6 mjt which has the oil filter hidden in the worst most inaccessible place you can imagine.

I’ve use the screw driver method in the past if very stuck but I once watch someone do this, rip off the end of a very tightly fitted oil filter, then have nothing left to grip hold of from the shredded remains.

Always found getting something round the filter much better and if you need more purchase, a hammer to knock a few extra dents into the filter gives something to grip on to

but I once watch someone do this, rip off the end of a very tightly fitted oil filter, then have nothing left to grip hold of from the shredded remains.

its nearly always the last owner of a car that does an oil filter up really stupidly tight, in the past I have never had the "screwdriver through the filter" method work well, it just makes things worse.

So these days I try to buy the right tool, I tend to keep my cars for quite a few years so with that in mind they are better value for money.

Nothing worse than what should be a 5 min job, taking all day!

I bought a large strap but that is just messy and more suited to a much bigger car. You only get a tiny amount of movement and then have to readjust.

Then I got one of those cup shaped spanners and it was too big. Took it back and got the next size down and it is too small! I have been sanding the inside but not much happening so far.

I hate to struggle over these simple tasks and it makes me feel like a complete idiot. Out of ten oil changes I must have spilt oil 8 times.

:cry:

Back