General Best methods for moving off on a slope or hill start

Currently reading:
General Best methods for moving off on a slope or hill start

chriscboy

Hi All,

I have had my Abarth for 8 months now, and I was wondering what the best method for moving off from a slope is? I have always driven fully automatic cars in the past, due to medical problems with my left leg, it tires easily and also I can't flex my left foot at the same angle, as my right foot.

I am still not quite used to not having the car trickle forward when in drive (or 1st gear in the case of the abarth).

Currently I put the hand brake up and then put a little pressure on the accelerator, then release the hand brake, when I feel there is enough drive to stop my rolling backwards when the hand brake is released. The odd occasion I have miss timed this resulting in me rolling back, then shooting forward as I try to avoid rolling into the car behind me :bang:. I now always make sure the re is a healthy gap in front of me before I pull off on a slope.

I am doing this correctly or is there a better method for moving off from a slope? As much as I love the Abarth to bits I'm a bit concerned the selespeed has turned me into an amateur driver, and well if I don't get to grips with it soon, may have to get rid of the car. (Which I don't wanna do cos its :slayer:)

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Stay with it. You will get there.

The Selespeed is fairly lethargic at low take off rpms. Even more so in reverse.

One method you may use grade your experience / practice is to leave the handbrake on and then raise the revs gently till you feel the car "buck", i.e. the nose very slightly lift. For this to happen you will have overcome the backwards hill loads (held by the handbrake) and then be trying to take the car forwards. Now slowly release the handbrake and the car should stay still held on the clutch. Further accelerator pressure will move you forwards.

Best method is the one that works best for you of course. I've never driven a Abarth selespeed but here's some methods you can try

PULLING ON THE REINS
Depending on just how useable your left foot is
Put your left foot firmly on the footbrake. Handbrake off. Apply enough gas until you feel the engine just pulling. Then ease off the footbrake and initially control the speed with the footbrake. I use this method anyway on occasions when needing to control at a very slow speed like parking up on a steep hill even in a fully automatic. You won't need any finesse with your left foot

TEST THE WATER
If your left foot is really untrustworthy then don't just let the handbrake off and hope you have the gas balanced right like you’ve been doing. Allow the handbrake down slowly and test your setting up, always ready to put it back on again if need be and adjust the gas again before again gently releasing the handbrake

HEEL AND TOE
Using your right heel, stick that firmly on the footbrake, release the handbrake, set some gas with your toes until you feel it pulling, you can have it pulling quite strongly if you like, then gently release your heel on the footbrake. Once you're away, straighten up your foot

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers folks I will give some of them a try and see how I get on :)

The selespeed system is really good at this, make sure the hand brake is on as lightly as you can without it causing the car to roll back, then add power, the car will start to pull itself forward, the handbrake will start to squeak as it is overcome by forward motion, then release the handbrake and off you go. You can hold a selespeed car stationary on a hill without the handbrake by applying the right amount of gas, just like a slushbox automatic. Don't do it for too long as it fries the clutch, but it is do-able!

Other choice, if you have to park on a hill,(assuming it is at the side of the road with decent kerbs.) when you get into the car, turn the wheels fully as if to pull out, let it gently roll back into the kerb. The kerb will hold the car in place, and you can take off without using the handbrake at all.

On big hill, when I was learning to drive, I was taught to park with wheels into kerb touching and car left in downhill gear, so if the handbrake failed, the car wouldn't run away! Thats just good practise in hill parking, a little overkill maybe.

PS Try not to rest the car tyres against the kerb it can mess up the tyre sidewall.

The selespeed system is really good at this, make sure the hand brake is on as lightly as you can without it causing the car to roll back, then add power, the car will start to pull itself forward, the handbrake will start to squeak as it is overcome by forward motion, then release the handbrake and off you go. You can hold a selespeed car stationary on a hill without the handbrake by applying the right amount of gas, just like a slushbox automatic. Don't do it for too long as it fries the clutch, but it is do-able!

Other choice, if you have to park on a hill,(assuming it is at the side of the road with decent kerbs.) when you get into the car, turn the wheels fully as if to pull out, let it gently roll back into the kerb. The kerb will hold the car in place, and you can take off without using the handbrake at all.

On big hill, when I was learning to drive, I was taught to park with wheels into kerb touching and car left in downhill gear, so if the handbrake failed, the car wouldn't run away! Thats just good practise in hill parking, a little overkill maybe.

PS Try not to rest the car tyres against the kerb it can mess up the tyre sidewall.

Everything in that thread seems to be a contradiction. You say 'well you could do this' and then 'but dont as it will cause damage'.

So whats the point? Just going to confuse OP (n)

Oh dear, okay, so there is no confusion or doubt; there are many options for the process of pulling away on a hill, there are benefits and risks in some. The OP asked for options, these I have provided. I assume the OP can make rational decisions. The final bit about resting the car on a kerb on its tyres is not a risk in anyway in the short term, it can lead to tyre sidewall damage if tyres are left with lateral pressure on them for a long period of time.

I hope this is now adequately specific to reduce any further doubt.

If I am setting off I always use the handbrake method, works everytime. If its to approach a junction usually the gradient slows the car on approach and the car can be held on a slope with just a tickle on the accelerator pedal.

I wouldnt do the latter for very long periods as it will increase clutch wear.

Back