Technical Battery

Currently reading:
Technical Battery

br johann

Hey guys. I drive a 2005 Croma 2.2 auto and I've been having a small problem. The car had a 646 battery when I bought it and the seller told me the battery has to be replaced. In the morning the car would start perfectly but the engine light will flash, the asr would go off and the car would only drive in 3rd gear. I prosume that it goes into limp mode. After driving the car for a while at restart the car will be fine. Some people told me it could be the battery. When I checked, the manual suggests a 90Ah battery, so I bought the closest I could find which was a 85Ah, however the car still goes to limp. Can anyone tell me what could be causing this...?

You really need to get a reader to plug into the car to see what warnings are present in the system. It is a bit of a fools errand to start checking things without doing this . However as I told you in your last thread have a look in the "tools" at the top of the front page and you are sure to find a thread about it and possible causes and fixes tried etc. Can save hours of head scratching:confused::cry::idea::worship:

I got a 85 AH Varta (was it a 110) for the 2.4 by measuring the space, the largest capacity I could find to fit. The available lists were totally wrong. The battery clamp has a couple of bits of wood to space it. Fiat were unable to supply.

Keith

I fitted the 85Ah Varta in my 1.9D 16v about four years ago. The battery is the one part of the car that has not caused any problems since - presumably because it's not made by Fiat, GM or any affiliated companies.

The battery is not your problem. You need a multimeter and/or Fiat/Multi ECU Scan, otherwise you are guessing.

My electronics went haywire last weekend (randomly locking and unlocking doors, seatbelt warning beeping for no reason, display going blank and so on) so I ended up buying an 80ah / 780 CCA type 110 from ECP (the biggest I could get that day). It fits fine (with a couple of pieces of wood in the shoulders) and the electronic gremlins seem to have been tamed.

It's 8ah less than the original but also 240CCA more and the car's never idle for very long so hopefully it'll be fine.

The guy in ecp wanted to know what kind of van I had. Apparently it's the same battery they fit in Transits.

There's nowt wrong with the Varta - mine worked perfectly for years until I got rid of the Croma, a proper fit-and-forget job.

You'll need a lump of something about an inch thick on top of the Varta so it clamps down. Others are probably the same, unless you get the extra-expensive special sized Fiat one that lasted about 4 years from new in mine.

Only just changed mine from the original Fiat so I don't suppose I can complain too much about that really.

There's nowt wrong with the Varta - mine worked perfectly for years until I got rid of the Croma, a proper fit-and-forget job.

You'll need a lump of something about an inch thick on top of the Varta so it clamps down. Others are probably the same, unless you get the extra-expensive special sized Fiat one that lasted about 4 years from new in mine.

battery and wood was fitted this morning :D the battery arrived just after 9am, the original had no handles to lift it out of the tray with :(

Varta = very much super OK

My Croma, mfg date = Sept 2005, Varta Battery

Battery replaced Sept 2017 @58K+ miles

So a full seven years with no intervening issues.

The New Bosch S5 - 010 85Ah 800A (EN) Battery - 5 Year Warranty - S5 - 010, 12V, 585 200 080, 0 092 550 100 I replaced the Varta with only lasted till Dec 2014 (ie. 2 years & 3 months & 16K miles).

I'm hoping the replacement new YUASA will be like my old Varta.

Back