Technical Battery light

Currently reading:
Technical Battery light

Dtosh271

Hi

Looking for some pointers. Car wouldn't start, garage said it was alternator. Got it replaced. When driving indicator was showing it was now charging the battery but warning light came on. After a month, the car wouldn't start. Got a jump start and got the battery changed. Battery warning light still on with new battery and alternator. Still starting for now but looking for ideas

Hi

Looking for some pointers. Car wouldn't start, garage said it was alternator. Got it replaced. When driving indicator was showing it was now charging the battery but warning light came on. After a month, the car wouldn't start. Got a jump start and got the battery changed. Battery warning light still on with new battery and alternator. Still starting for now but looking for ideas

Hi

The battery symbol is for 'alternator charging'

Its suggesting its not giving out MUCH power

I have not experienced the 500X.. but in MOST fiat cars the power steering is electrically assisted..
poor battery - alternator soon shows the RED steering wheel symbol

AND HEAVY STEERING..!!

Have you had the steering problems?

Measure the voltage to see if it's charging properly (or current if you have suitable equipment). And voltage on battery after to see how it holds up.

Faint light suggests faulty alternator to me. I have bought more than one replacement alternator that was faulty in the past and one definitely gave the faint charge light you describe. Try turning everything on to put the alternator onder max load and check the voltage. The alternator should maintain charge under full load at around 1000rpm.

Long time ago but I had a few FIATs with a feint glow .obvious at night.

Never caused an issue :)

Modern era..GrandePunto seem mega fussy about replacement alternators

Guy with a Bravo chased his tail for a while with similar issues

Phase 1 though.. go back to who supplied the alternator.. should have a form of warranty..and they can check the basics in 5 minutes ;-)

If the alternator is new and not charging at the full Monty, then it could be an earthing issue that is causing too much resistance somewhere in the circuit.

You can measure the alternator output at the battery with the engine running at a fast idle. You should see 14.6 volts if the alternator is doing its thing.
Secondly, if the engine is idling with the lights on and then you rev the engine a bit, the lights should not become brighter... and they should not become dimmer if you let the revs drop to idle and then turn on everything electrical.

If your car behaves okay but the charging light is still glowing, check the earth strap from the battery and the wiring loom in the rear hatch. You may also have a duff starter motor so check the internal resistance of that too.

Ralf S.

Back