badger badger badger badger

Currently reading:
badger badger badger badger

Tell the government to "back off badgers!"

There are over 300,000 badgers in Great Britain and they are protected by law. But the Government is now considering slaughtering thousands of them.

The problem is that badgers are being blamed for a rise in a disease called bovine tuberculosis (TB) in cows, despite the fact that a whole range of scientific studies show that infected cattle are the main source of infection in other cattle. There is a link with badgers but the latest evidence from the government's long-term badger culling trial is that killing them is very likely to make matters worse.

The government is now consulting the public on whether, and how, badgers should be captured and killed.

Have your say!
If you would like to support our "back off badgers" campaign and have your say, please write a letter to:

The Bovine TB and Badgers Consultation
Defra
1a Page Street
London
SW1 4PQ

Or send an email to: [email protected]

The government's deadline for responding to their consultation is 10 March 2006.
For more information about badgers and hints on writing your letter, visit www.rspca.org.uk/badgers

Taiwan – 'Pigs of the gods'

In towns and villages across Taiwan preparations are being made to slaughter hundreds of grotesquely overweight pigs which have been cruelly force-fed in a ritual known as 'pigs of the gods'.

The 'pigs of the gods' ritual began as a traditional contest between rival villagers attached to local temples, each dedicated to a particular god. Today, it has grown into a commercially driven industry, with hundreds of pigs being force-fed for up to 18 months. Some pigs reach weights exceeding 900kg – around eight times the normal slaughter weight – and are unable to stand up or move.

Each year, up to 800 pigs are reared in this way and many are slaughtered without the pre-stunning required by law. The fattening and slaughter of the pigs continues all year, but peaks in February when the majority are killed.

How can you help?
Write to President Chen Shui-Bian to urge him to bring this outdated and unnecessary cruel practice to an end:

President Chen Shui-Bian
122 Chungking South Road
Section 1
10036 Taipei
Taiwan

For more information, go to the campaigns section at www.rspca.org.uk

Thank you again for your support

Best wishes,

RSPCA Online

bulldog5046 said:

Noooo!! my flat mates r always using that website to annoy me :bang: its what having too much spare time does to the male species (sp)

back to the topic though....

just watched newsround and apparently they're planning to cull loads of grey squirrels to protect the red squirrels in the UK.

dave said:
this is seriours thread :mad:
Just posted a right arsey e-mail to that address Dave.It started quite mellow but by the end of it i was really letting off some steam, i pitty the poor bugger who reads it. Ive had enough of all the crap from parliament, anyone up for a revolution? :bang: :bang:

TBH the red's are being wiped out by the more aggressive and faster breeding greys.
fact is if you want to see red squirrels in a few years then a cull is really needed or a more humane sterilisation though this is tricky as your messing with nature.

as for the badgers i listened to the jerremy vine show a few weeks ago on this.
fact is the link between cow TB and badgers has not been proven.yes where cow TB is prominent you have it in badgers but this could be from the cows.

also badgers are very territorial and as such wont stray far unless they are forced to.eg with a cull! and if all the badgers in the chosen area(they plan to erradicate all badgers in set areas)are not all culled then its a wasted effort.

now to the other side of the argument.
for a farmer with TB infected cattle this presents a large financial burdon as they cant sell any cattle even when TB is just suspected.
they test fro TB in cattle isnt 100% unless the cow is slaughtered!?? and they use a skin test

it just all seems a bit stupid really. there are a number of arguements for why i dont agree with all the culling, but then i have a feeling my opinions might offend someone somewhere and dont want to get into trouble.

nature is complicated so why mess with it :confused: surely that complicates it more :confused:

sportingsmissus said:
it just all seems a bit stupid really. there are a number of arguements for why i dont agree with all the culling, but then i have a feeling my opinions might offend someone somewhere and dont want to get into trouble.

nature is complicated so why mess with it :confused: surely that complicates it more :confused:
nothing wrong with an intelligent argument

sportingsmissus said:

This is a forum, thats what they are all about!. Voice your opinion, id like to hear it and if you offend anybody then they are entitled to speak back with their opinion!(y)

With regards to the grey squirel nothing but rats with tails they are nothing but vermin and cause considerable damage as well as destroying the habbitat of our native red there again i blame the yanks they also gave us the rat their lousey culture and lack of moral and decent behaviour the badger is another subject entirley i dont think they transmit infection to cattle i think the farm industry in this country is self inflicted:mad:

And a damn good revelution would be a good thing and show these bloody polititions weve had a guts full of them

Last edited:
In regards to the squirrel subject.The problem with greys has been in this country and known about for the past 25yrs to my knowledge.Unfortunately, i feel that the action of a cull is too little too late as the reds are alot slower at breeding. I hope im wrong but it would be many,many yrs before reds became a common sight in this country again.It has been mentioned that a cull would be messing with nature but would it? The grey squirrel didnt exist in Britain until it was introduced here from north America:tempt: :hm: .

bulldog5046 said:

repost1.jpg

didnt darwin have a say in all this?

as well as the borg: resistance is futile!
as well as the daleks : exterminate

look im a townie, i only ever see greys, they are cute, but they dig up my lawn to hid their food, do the same as us, carry your own nuts!!!

PNL said:
the badger is another subject entirley i dont think they transmit infection to cattle i think the farm industry in this country is self inflicted:mad:And a damn good revelution would be a good thing and show these bloody polititions weve had a guts full of them
(y) I agree wholeheartedly and told em so in my E-mail. I live on cannock chase in staffs and so do a hell of alot of dear so i asked why they were not culled when we had the outbreak of foot & mouth a few yrs back! While were on the subject, are they going to kill all the wild boar that are roaming forests all over our isle, cos they breed like mice and can kill a human if they charge at you & connect. Then again, lets just leave em alone till they get beyond control aswell:shakehead

Back