Technical Back again ... This time going over the heating/overheating issue.

Currently reading:
Technical Back again ... This time going over the heating/overheating issue.

Thats right mate.(y) Do you see what you are trying to acheive? You are eliminating and isolating each component in a logical way and fast on your way to becoming a diagnostic teaster and not a chang it and see if it works type of mechanic. Not that there is anything wrong with that, except this way can become bloody expensive.

By the way, it is easy to test the radiator sensor with a pan of boiling water and a temp guage.

Ay, id much rather test and eliminate, if you have seen my other thread when my coil pack went you will see that :)

Problem i have is time :) because i go to work and come back when its dark, id rather be doing this in the light rather than under a torch so i can see better. Sunday im usually busy so unable to work on it then either heh.

ill nip some where after work on tuesday night to buy some wire and some croc clips, and ill give what youve said ago :)

if the fan still doesnt kick in, im assuming the motor has gone in it, and its easier to buy a new one.
ive also bought some 3 tonne axle stands today from halfords so i can now prop my front up to work under it.

dont connect 12v to them wires / plug you've circled. its 12v to the fan itself you want to test.

also that fuse you are looking is not the one for the fan, that is the main fuse. check the fsuebox inside the car. IIRC there are no fuses for the fan near the battery on the Cinq, only on the Sei

heh ok.

Its a Cinq Sporting ive got not a Sei.
Ive checked the fuse box under the drivers wheel in the car, there 2 fan fuses, both are not snapped and still in one peice.

Arc, ive realised that plug is not the power switch, ill need to jack up the car and look for the fan power connecter. :)

Also does any body know what this is for:
15112008114.jpg

I had asked the same here last week and also had no replies, so I asked again! Finally got sorted

I asked

I got my answer
:D

Here's a diagram from the Sei (SPI) which is pretty much identical mechanically/electronically to your car:

Fan_circuit.jpg

Here, B5 is the fuse, N11 the fan motor, I70 the fan switch and C10 the earth. Of course, the fan needs 12v + and 12v- to work. The positive side should be permanent. All the switching is done from the - (negative/earth) side by the switch on the side of the radiator.

Hope that helps a little.

Hey

bloody weather today!
anyhow all being well tomorrow i will be getting under the car to test the fan out hopefully the little diy leads ive made will be good enough :)

Attachments

• 22112008116.jpg
    22112008116.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 11
Got to be the fan, i have the same problem and mines electrical stopping the fan from working, get the fuse checked. x

thanks ela, have checked the fuse using a multimeter they are ok :)
going under to check the fan motor tomorrow.
if that works i will be splicing a wire onto the black earth.
How ever i read on previous page there are 2 black wires? so does it matter which one?

You want the -ive. First try it from chassis earth to the negative connector on the motor. Motor should work so mindee fingers! For a -- hopefully -- permanent cure with the multimeter on the resistance setting find out which is the wire connecting the switch to the negative pole on the fan motor (should show continuity), then splice the new wire into the other wire from the switch and to earth. (if you choose the wrong wire from the switch you'll end up with the fan permanently on).

Great
Wake up this morning to over 2 inchs of snow !
locks are frozen on the car, tried lock deicer, can now get the key in but cant turn it.

jack is in the boot and i need to put the fuses back i tested last night :D

bloody weather !

well its the fan
got under the car
removed part of the mud flap thingy so i could get access to the fan
tried the 2 wires, (they sparked when touched so was current)
put the needs on the pins in the fan thing tried each way round several times, but the fan didnt spin

so i need a new fan by the looks? any idea where i can buy one?

Glad that you have nailed the problem down, you are now half way to solving your proble. There are plenty in the scrap yards, however they may only sell with the radiator attached. By the way nice job of the clips you made up.

Back