Technical Aussie newbie

Currently reading:
Technical Aussie newbie

spud125

Hi all
I am a FIAT fan for many moons now, harking back to the old late 60's early 70's. twin cam saloons. (125 & 125S). My daughter learnt to drive in the 125S so she recently purchased a Punto "Dynamic" saloon (2006 model)
Since FIAT servicing is thin on the ground here (and the local one where the purchase was made has disappeared), guess who is now trying to do some serviceing. The engine is a 1.4 8v and the car is similar,I believe, to the Grande Punto...So... if someone can supply some info it would be greatly appreciated
Valve clearences!!! can't find any info anywhere!! Are they shim or rocker, locknut & screw adjusted? (haven't lifted the cam cover yet). What are the clearences. And (dont laugh)...... How do you get the little plastic clip off the end of the wiper arm (without destroying it) so that the rubber can be replaced.
Many thanks in advance
Tony

Attachments

• DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
hello mate, i love the photo, is that a 130?, i can tell your and fan of "the old ways" when you talk of valve clearances, just like me!(y), the punto, i'm pretty certain ( having owned a 1.2 version ) has hydraulic tappets which are self adjusting, they use the oil in the engine which is under pressure hence why on some engines when you start up theres a "tapping" noise for a few seconds, as the "lifters" fill up with oil get to full pressure. you can still adjust them with shims located either under the lifter of on top of it depending on the design of the engine, but there really only designed to be replaced if there worn so usually you have to take the camshaft out? do you think they need replacing? are fiat quite popular down there? i've aways wondered how the european stuff gets on in OZ?

Sorry to be tardy, but it is not a 130 but a 125 special (1608cc, twin cam 5 speed). A great open road car which had accumulated 250,000 miles by the time I sold it. I still have no definitive info on the valves & clearences for my daughter's Punto. I see there is a download in the relevant forum section. I will give that a go, but with my computer skills anything could happen.

Many thanks for that info Andy. It gives me some amunition to attack a useless dealer I found since my original post. Have some new wiper blades and disc pads on the water from your part of the world. Non original discs were available at approx 1/4 the cost of the "genuine" items and freighted overnight from Melbourne to Sydney. Many thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

Back