Newbie with the car, some instructions.

Currently reading:
Newbie with the car, some instructions.

ECU Scanner was connected the first time, previous 5k KM, where ignition coil failed and check engine was on. In the second time that ignition coil failed, i didn't have any check engine on (except one day about some hours, then it did get off). But cause of the failure we changed the ignition coil because the of the ECU Scanning shown us that even for that amount of time, the ignition coil was off-damaged. So i have the 2nd and the 4th ignition coiled changed-new, while the rest are the old. Now i haven't scan ECU for ignition coil by the time i haven't seen any check engine on, even if i get those problems i described you on 3rd gear and above (at 2k and 3k rpm while i accelerate). :(

P.S. If i could described it humanly the first problem, i'm facing, is when you are crying a lot and after some minutes when you are trying to breath you can't fill with air and the breath makes some pauses-stucks continuously. I don't know if it's related into power (coil ignitions or injectors) or air/oil filter are blocked.
Thanks LiH. I'm off to my older boy's for a family barbie now (maybe socially distanced?) I'll think about your problem some more and get back to you if I have a "eureka" moment.

A couple of posts above I said that I preferred where there is an ACEA spec for an oil as i believed the ACEA spec to be more applicable to operating conditions on our side of the "pond". I just went back into Opie's site and downloaded the tech info PDF on the Amsoil product. They are making a big thing of it being "improved for European vehicles" Seems to support my feelings on the subject?

https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/amsoil/g3395.pdf
You are very clear of what you saying and i understand it. I'm just afraid if i pick amsoil over the rest (motul/liquimoly) due to the lack of FIAT 9.5535-S2, which is bold on the car documentation's (link, 228 page) you provided. If it will cause any damage or being harmful over the time while i could use motul/liquimoly that support it. So will that info (FIAT 9.5535-S2) make the difference?!

Last edited:
There is no such thing as best oil, there is however the correct grade of oil for your car. Not wanting to make you feel anxious, you have a car with a six figure mileage, the usual wear and tear will be there already, it’s as simple as that. I keep saying use the correct grade of oil and change often. :)

You tell me the amsoil is an ACEA 3 spec oil with a viscosity of 5w-40? this is exactly what the Fuchs I use is. Fuchs have paid Fiat to get the Fiat approval rating. Probably that's all there is too it? I think you'll be just fine with the Amsoil if that's your preference. As a matter of interest what is it costing you (in £ if possible please)

Off to my barbie now - I don't have a smart 'phone.

There is no such thing as best oil, there is however the correct grade of oil for your car. Not wanting to make you feel anxious, you have a car with a six figure mileage, the usual wear and tear will be there already, it’s as simple as that. I keep saying use the correct grade of oil and change often. :)
Dear Jim,

probably you are right. I'm to anxious picking the best and not the correct. I'm in trouble with my self because i read and research a lot before order something (before i buy it). This happened, with the car, when i was Selenia (last year) but a guy and internet told that Selenia got refunded from the market and Fiat didn't recommend it anymore for it's cars. So i won't happen the same with my future oil pick.

Sincerely!

I dont belive this info. FIAT made these engines and tested it for Selenia. Each manual in car contains info about Selenia. Selenia has proper viscosity for used parts from which this engine is made and has stable viscosity for temperatures in concrete engine. Thats why for example Renault uses ELF with specific API/ACEA , and FIAT uses Selenia. Its about materials used inside engine (cylinder wall mayerial, piston material, camshaft and so on) which has concrete priperties during heating for example. So use Selenia and you are ok ;-) And regarding your issue with poor acceleration, it could be by 1000 things. Pugglt mentioned MultiECUscan which is da best, you can do many things with that, read onlibe parameters and see real error codes. Maybe your problem is caused with stuck brake pads, thats wht acceleration isnt as it should be. Check with fingers each brake disc after trip if one of them is hot...

You tell me the amsoil is an ACEA 3 spec oil with a viscosity of 5w-40? this is exactly what the Fuchs I use is. Fuchs have paid Fiat to get the Fiat approval rating. Probably that's all there is too it? I think you'll be just fine with the Amsoil if that's your preference. As a matter of interest what is it costing you (in £ if possible please)

Off to my barbie now - I don't have a smart 'phone.
Thank you for your reply Pugglt.
Until now i have about 200€ (maximum) to spend over the:

Oil Amsoil/Motul/LiquiMoly => 3.7l/5l/5l => 60€/50€/40€
Oil Filter Mann/Fram/[Purflux => 7€/9€/10€
Air Filter Mann/Fram/Purflux => 11€/12€/13€
Ignition Coil Bosch(x2) => 63€
Injectors Cleaning Upon the Service => 40€

P.S. With the follow links i got my results of picking these brands Motul, LiquiMoly, Amsoil, Oil Filters, Air Filters
P.S. Thank you in advance Jim, Pugglt and the rest ofc for helping me out with their opinions.

Sincerely!

Last edited:
When have you last changed the spark plugs ? They need to be changed every 30k km or at least every 50k km. It is very difficult to know the reason for that behaviour. I recommend taking the car to a professional who can run diagnostics and check everything and have it fully serviced. It sounds like a neglected car.

You mean the car lacks power on 3rd gear upon acceleration. Well it may even be the fuel pump then or the turbo itself. However it may have several faults. Usually if one coil fails, the others will follow shortly if the car has been running for a long time with poor spark plugs. Also if coolant level always needs to be topped up and there's no leakage outside the engine, then it may be the headgasket fault. :bang:

If the car ran fine, until recently developed that behavior and was serviced properly, it may have a sensor fault, like MAP and MAF sensors and this version probably has both. They can be cleaned. Also cleaning of the throttle body is not a bad idea.

In case you're worried about Fiat certification for the oil, one reason for me using Champion New energy 5w-40 is that it has Fiat certificate. Of course it may not be available in your country, then any cheap fully synthetic oil 5w-40 acea c3 will do just fine.

Haynes manual doesn't cover T-jet, but it has the basics what you need to keep any car in good condition.

Last edited:
When have you last changed the spark plugs ? They need to be changed every 30k km or at least every 50k km. It is very difficult to know the reason for that behaviour. I recommend taking the car to a professional who can run diagnostics and check everything and have it fully serviced. It sounds like a neglected car.

You mean the car lacks power on 3rd gear upon acceleration. Well it may even be the fuel pump then or the turbo itself. However it may have several faults. Usually if one coil fails, the others will follow shortly if the car has been running for a long time with poor spark plugs. Also if coolant level always needs to be topped up and there's no leakage outside the engine, then it may be the headgasket fault. :bang:

If the car ran fine, until recently developed that behavior and was serviced properly, it may have a sensor fault, like MAP and MAF sensors and this version probably has both. They can be cleaned. Also cleaning of the throttle body is not a bad idea.

In case you're worried about Fiat certification for the oil, one reason for me using Champion New energy 5w-40 is that it has Fiat certificate. Of course it may not be available in your country, then any cheap fully synthetic oil 5w-40 acea c3 will do just fine.

Haynes manual doesn't cover T-jet, but it has the basics what you need to keep any car in good condition.
Dear eeeno, thank you in advance first of all for your message.

The spark plugs have never been changed, by the time i got the car till now. I don't know what the previous owners have done about that. By my side i have already changed all of them since day one (10000 KM before) to NGK.

In other hand, ignition coils i have already changed the 2 of 4. The first one before 5k and the second one before 3k. On the first one, the car couldn't move by 2nd gear and up and check engine was on, while didn't have any power and it gave a lot of tremble. On the second one while i was at 4th gear a day i pressured the car into high RPMs (5k-6k, changing gears). Some how when i tried again it gave some trembles and lags at high RPMs. Now i 'm facing the same but in the 3rd and up gears, while im at low RPMs and trying to pressure the pedal. The car cannot fill with power and it gave a 1 - 2 sec lags before it gets a lot of power back again. So i'm worried if i should buy the rest of the ignition coils or go and clean injections, cause of a bad gas usage.

The only good thing from this situation is that changing back to recommended gas 95octane 2 months now, while i was using 98octane 8 months before my MPG got higher and i needed less fuel/km. I don't know if its caused by changing the coil ignitions or the gas type and station.

The car, yeah, seemed a lot neglected, but i 'm trying to recovering it as much as i can picking the best options/methods and parts (in my mind always).

Sincerely!

Are you saying that the car doesn't accelerate but the rpms go high when clutch is completely released. That means that your clutch is slipping. It may happen on a steep hill for example. That may not be the only problem with the car.:mad:

When check engine light is on, you shouldn't drive the car at all or drive it to the nearest garage if possible. This time it'd be very wise to ask for a quote from a garage and let them diagnose the problem completely. I believe that they have some kind of guarantee for their work.

Back