Technical Are voltage regulators the same in fiat alternators

Currently reading:
Technical Are voltage regulators the same in fiat alternators

trogdor

Hi everyone,

I know this is the cento section but I thought someone on here might know, are the voltage regulators the same in fiat punto 60 (same as a sporting?) and fiat cento 899 alternators?

I ask as my sister has recently bought a punto 60 which is great fun to drive, I had forgotten how nice manual steering and a responsive throttle can be!

Anyway there are a few issues with it, most pressing is the fact that the lights on the dsahboard, radio and to a lesser extent running lights all flicker when the engine is running.

I found a loose earth point on the negative battery cable which i was hoping was the problem but while its improved it, it is still happening.

I have checked the voltage on the battery with the car running and while it is showing over 14v, it is fluctuating between 14.4v and 14.9v. I am under the impression that the reading should be more stable than this?

Anyway her old car is still here which is a cinquencento 899 which clearly has a different alternator, but is the regulator likely to be the same? Hopefully its just a case of swapping the regulator over?

I haven't been able to find much info on how to do it so am hoping its not too difficult to figure out.

Basically I am hoping for someone save me taking two cars apart rather than just one if its not going to work!

Any thoughts on what the flickering could be?

From what I have been able to read up on this forum and others, its likely to be an earth, regulator or battery issue. Battery seems fine, as do the earths I could find.

I would probably get the alternator tested first before anything else, plenty of places do it for free. but was hoping to get a free fix sorted!

Back