Anyone play keyboard or piano organ etc?

Currently reading:
Anyone play keyboard or piano organ etc?

Liam

hi friends :waves:
OK I am dying to get one and learn, I love seeing people blast out well known tunes and want to do it myself so I'll be looking into getting one next year a keyboard that is.

So who can play?

Whos got one?

What's the best way to learn?

I'll buy a second hand effort first then upgrade when I get better.

Liam

i used to play but gave up. keyboards are good, but pianos are much nicer to play, the keys are heavier than keyboards and you get more of a feel to them.

your best learning from an instructor, they will keep you motivated and suggest the best music to learn from. go into a local music shop and they should be able to recommend a good teacher to you.

I have two keyboards. A Casio CZ101 synth and a Yamaha SY85 Workstation. I don't really play either as I'm a bass player, but have used both for recording when needed.

Have you played an instrument before? The reason I ask is that some people take to certain instruments better than others. My main tool of music is bass guitar, and I always found that quite easy to play and over the years became very proficient at it. I was a professional bassist for 5 years so I can't be that bad!

But keyboards, I just could never get on with them. As much as I tried I never got very far, though I could knock out some mean single note melodies. Much the same with lead guitar. I could play rhythm guitar no problem, but lead always sounded bad. As I'm a bass player I kind of suspect that I'm only 'wired' to play rhythm instruments and not lead.

You can pick up keyboards very cheaply these days, so no harm in you buying one second hand to try out. Try and get one with full size keys, and also one that has good piano emulation as they sound better than those which try and do everything.

As Mog says, if you're serious then invest in some lessons, and a few beginners books from a music shop. The best way to learn is to play along to some of your favourite tunes. You'll make loads of mistakes initially, but it really helps to get you up to speed when playing music you enjoy rather than some God awful tune in the 'How to play piano' book!

Go find a reasonable keyboard and have some fun! Good luck (y)

I got an old Yahama D85 - 3 keyboard organ, pedals, swell pedal, etc - I started when I was 20 or so, and just followed a few books, never got lessons or anything:

webwinkel0002.jpg

Very oldschool now though, so recently acquired a Clavinova off eBay - although it is a totally new technique, especially with the left hand.

Thats is a might beast there Stu!

I played keyboard in school, learned basic tunes but then you move onto different things so not enough time to get into it.

I got good on the drums, not near band material but good for the time spent, learned to read the music and think I could play it just as good if only I could find someone with a set!

When I was young, thought you could just pick up a guitar and blast out tunes, how wrong was I!!!!

Liam

We have two keyboards Liam, I know they are really good ones but other than that I don't have a clue. The kids were given them by an old couple they see when they visit their nans. I'll have a look tomorrow to see what they are.

Liam said:
When I was young, thought you could just pick up a guitar and blast out tunes, how wrong was I!!!!

You can! That's how most Punk bands were formed (allegedly). Learn three chords, then go and form a band :D

However, if you want to play Pink Floyd and David Gilmour stuff, then expect to spend rather longer learning before getting anywhere near good enough...;)

I used to play back in my youth. Had some old retro keys. A Yamaha DX27 and a very very old Godwin String Synth. The latter being very rare and one of the best produced symphony sounds ever. I was in a band and we once supported the Verve in Wigan.

Both keyboards eventually died and I passed them on to someone who would restore them. The DX27 has now been fully restored but unfortunately age has got the better of the Godwin.

Completely self taught after basic music lessons on the Clarinet as a kid. Learn the basic chord structures and you're off :)

Yup, started lessons when i was 6. had to stop for my GCSEs as it was all getting a bit hectic trying to keep up with everything. Never got started with it again so i really regret it. I still play a lot tho, writing music is a big hobby for me, which is why i invested in this....
PSR1100.gif

Yamaha PSR1100, as it has USB connectivity for use with my trackers, inbuilt multitrack recording software and all sorts of other things that i keep discovering :)

also have a Yamaha Clavinova YPP50 aswell.

Cheers Xen and indeed everyone who's commented so far (not Beau).

That PSR must be a bit of money, how is the piano sound?

The vids on youtube of peeps playing well known pop stuff has only made me want one more!

Liam

I got it a few years ago, it was the first in the line of Arranger Workstations from yamaha, i think it was around £950 at the time and the Clavinova was £650. It has 49 different Piano voices (10 normal and 39 in the XG (higher quality) bank) and for any voice you can set the reverb, chorus, delay, flanger, distortion, wah and rotary effects for them to get them just how you want. The Clavinovas were made to simulate 'real' pianos, but tbh the sound is probably slightly better on the PSR, but the Clavinova has the piano-feel keys to it rather that the light keyboard ones. Since i usually play fast-paced music anyway tho, its easier on the PSR because the keys have much faster response.

Heres a clip of something im working on at the moment- Its a Muse megamix. This 2min clip has bridges between Hypermusic, Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.
Clicky Here :)

Christina's been teaching herself using a Yamaha PSR520 and a piano teaching book. The books really good actually and she's getting on pretty well, once she gets good we plan to get a propper piano.

Did you see that Derren Brown trick or treat episode where he got that young lass to play Piano in a concert after just one week of therapy, she was unbelievable and she never toughed a piano in that whole week after the first day. :eek:

I got an old Yahama D85 - 3 keyboard organ, pedals, swell pedal, etc - I started when I was 20 or so, and just followed a few books, never got lessons or anything:

webwinkel0002.jpg

Very oldschool now though, so recently acquired a Clavinova off eBay - although it is a totally new technique, especially with the left hand.

And thats where I have seen you before in that silent picture palace ..:devil:

My advice?

Music is the spawn of the the devil, the root of all evil, and musical instruments are the tools to spread this evilness.

Don't do it. Keep away from this heatheness!!

:D :devil:

My advice?

Music is the spawn of the the devil, the root of all evil, and musical instruments are the tools to spread this evilness.

Don't do it. Keep away from this heatheness!!

:D :devil:

I'm with centaur on this one, once you get into playing instruments you're in trouble! (y)

Good Luck!! :slayer:

I got it a few years ago, it was the first in the line of Arranger Workstations from yamaha, i think it was around £950 at the time and the Clavinova was £650. It has 49 different Piano voices (10 normal and 39 in the XG (higher quality) bank) and for any voice you can set the reverb, chorus, delay, flanger, distortion, wah and rotary effects for them to get them just how you want. The Clavinovas were made to simulate 'real' pianos, but tbh the sound is probably slightly better on the PSR, but the Clavinova has the piano-feel keys to it rather that the light keyboard ones. Since i usually play fast-paced music anyway tho, its easier on the PSR because the keys have much faster response.

I still owe Bunny a Clavinova.. had to sell it while at uni just to pay the bills :(

That and a Boosey and Hawke B flat Claranet.

Back