Anyone know anything about Carbs?!?

Currently reading:
Anyone know anything about Carbs?!?

holy shat thats my old car if you change the reg plate a tiny bit (and clean it up a lot!) man that brings back the boyraacer days of 99 :D

what a crap car, but for some reason i love them.

arc the gti was injection, the gt was carb ;)

crap in what ways :chin:

im hopefully seeing it today, but i gotta find out if i can fit in it first, as thats why the owner is selling :D

setting your ignition exactly how you want it with a dizzy? that's laughable!
get some superunleaded in the tank and change the angle and hey presto, bigger difference than any prewritten remap would make and a total cost of £0.

Last edited:
crap in what ways :chin:
built quality is shocking, engine likes to pop its head gasket (i learnt to do car HG's on my ax gt), brakes are crap even though its a light car, electrics can set alight at any time especially behind the dashboard (which is why they have extinguisher ports in both doors) mine set alight at least 3 times. i broke everything on it, but i did abuse it very badly.

get some superunleaded in the tank and change the angle and hey presto, bigger difference than any prewritten remap would make and a total cost of £0.

ah, but who wants the ignition advance fixed through the whole rpm range, and engine load?

anyway - you've just described what a modern ECU does with its knock sensor when u put better fuel in - it just doesnt ask you to adjust anything ;p

I had a fair few cars with carbs, VW Beetles, MG Metro's & MG Metro Turbo's running SU's never had any issues on any of them including my Mk1 XR2 1760cc Crossflow on twin Webbers, once they were set up I never touched it again for the 3 years I had the car, though there is an art form balancing twin carbs. Webbers are being remade again because demand is so high in tuning circles for carbs.

R5GTT's are carb and apart from changing jets for to run more boost in 7 years of ownership of various 5's I never had to revisit them once, they started first time every time, even with leaving one at my dads house for 5 months without turning it over.

Ah I now reminisce about some of my old cars........what was the question again:confused:

anyway - you've just described what a modern ECU does with its knock sensor when u put better fuel in - it just doesnt ask you to adjust anything ;p

the ecu's ignition timing is designed around a certain octane, it cant compensate for higher octane, thats the main reason there is no benefit to buying that fuel unless your car is designed to run on it or has been custom mapped to run on it.

if the ecu did constantly adjust ignition until the knock sensor told it to back off then it could adapt to different fuels, but thats doesnt happen. the reason for that is the damage almost constant pinking would cause if that constant adjustment was attempted.

i agree an ecu is better if you can play with its map, but for the average DIYer you cant do that, where as anyone can adjust a dizzy angle. the good old days were DIYer friendly, these days it isnt, its pay a fat wad instead.

Last edited:
how much :chin:

my panda got a carb, never had to touch it but reading this thread I may have a go

snipshot_e41kmfo2gw2q.jpg

If it is a twin choke solex then it is a very good carb, shove a can of carb cleaner through it when you get the car, it looks like a labyrinth when you get the aircleaner off, just blat it all. And you can re calibrate a dizzi as well as just adjusting it in the clamps, the changes are as good as re-mapping. And never any crap about the chip in your ignition being NLA, you can run a simple car for ever, no wonder the makers side with the politicians against us.

Back