General Anyone done a supercharger conversion?

Currently reading:
General Anyone done a supercharger conversion?

I ask because there seem to be a few Mini Cooper S (the BMW ones, that is) superchargers knocking about pretty cheap.

I think it would be simpler than a turbo job. My guess -- fabricate/cast an inlet manifold adaptor, plumb in an oil feed/drain, fit an oil cooler, low compression pistons (or maybe just a spacer), harder plugs, remap.

Thoughts, suggestions and Phd theses welcome.........

fingers99 said:
I ask because there seem to be a few Mini Cooper S (the BMW ones, that is) superchargers knocking about pretty cheap.

I think it would be simpler than a turbo job. My guess -- fabricate/cast an inlet manifold adaptor, plumb in an oil feed/drain, fit an oil cooler, low compression pistons (or maybe just a spacer), harder plugs, remap.

Thoughts, suggestions and Phd theses welcome.........

you forgot the small matter of getting drive to the supercharger, and the fact an eaton m45 wouldnt fit anywhere in the engine bay!

Never say never, just say hold on i will get my welder out :eek:

There is a way, the superchargers on the VW's are small compact units, but mounting space would be tight, but i think it could be done, if you moved the radiator and fan across to the other side.

Oh bother this means i will mainly be measuring and tinkering about just to see what could be done. Eaton arent the only name in supercharging.

i was looking at one of the VW superchargers..they nice and small, just cost a lot more :(

Don't see why it cant be mounted where the AC compressor would go. sorted (y)

arc said:
i was looking at one of the VW superchargers..they nice and small, just cost a lot more :(

Don't see why it cant be mounted where the AC compressor would go. sorted (y)

There is a bit of a difference in size between the M45 and the a/c compressor. I would place the M45 where the alternator is and bring the alternater forward. Might need a bit of welding needed, but should work.

The VW G-Laders are small and they run very clever boost control systems...but they are hideously expensive!

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a bad idea to me. The Mini's are 1.6's, which are probably very different to 1.1 Sei's. In the Sei there will probably be problems with both heat and space. IIRC turbos generally give more power (super chargers also use more fuel) too because super chargers are driven by some of the engines power.

The Ugly Duckling said:
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a bad idea to me. The Mini's are 1.6's, which are probably very different to 1.1 Sei's. In the Sei there will probably be problems with both heat and space. IIRC turbos generally give more power (super chargers also use more fuel) too because super chargers are driven by some of the engines power.

A supercharger eats some of the power to produce more power IYKWIM via a belt drive. Turbos and Supers will both consume more fuel over NA. Whether one will produce more power/have higher MPG than the other will depend on the application and the setup used.

I got a mini magazine somewhere from a few years ago that has a supercharged mini featured. IIRC that had an Opcon charger.

I think a super charger in a Cento is not going to happen without considerable cost and lengthy development which no one is going to do when there are turbo kits available or copy able.

Each have there pro's and con's, superchargers consume a fair amount of engine power to drive them but are lagless, turbo's have lag albeit very slight in most modern turbo's but consume a negligible amount of engine power being driven by exhaust gasses.

On the Jag XKR the superchargers consume 100bhp so in fact the engine is making 500bhp not the 400 you get use, that’s a fifth which i consider to be a massive amount of power, that like losing nearly to cinqs worth.

And it widely know that next generation MINI and Pug 207GTi will be using a 1.6 Pug turbo engine as the engine from the present MINI is an old Chrysler engine and TBH not a very nice engine but cheap as BMW had to claw back some of the money that was spent on the very expensive to produce chassis, rumours are next generation MINIs chassis will not be a trick.

Aaron.

Back