Technical Anti-Stall Feature

Currently reading:
Technical Anti-Stall Feature

The best I can do is quote the information directly from the Fiat workshop manual -

"The control unit detects the presence of detonation (engine knock) by processing the signal coming from the relevant sensor.
The control unit continuously compares the signals coming from the sensor with a threshold which is, in turn, continually updated to take into account background noise and engine ageing.
The control unit can therefore detect the presence of detonation (or the onset of detonation) in each individual cylinder and reduces the ignition advance in the cylinder involved (in steps of 3° up to a maximum of 6°) until the phenomenon disappears. Later on, the advance is gradually restored to the basic value (in steps of 0.8°).
In acceleration conditions, a higher threshold is used in order to take into account the increased noise of the engine under such circumstances.
The detonation control logic also has a self-adjustment function which memorises the reductions in the advance that are continuously repeated in order to adapt the map to the different conditions that may affect the engine."

There you go :)

The manual also suggests that the car should be driven for 15 minutes after any engine tuning or alterations to allow the ECU to "re-learn" and adapt its maps to the new settings.

John

Last edited:
Thanks, must work well but still not convinced it is the optimum solution. There are so many variables that may alter the "noise".

Any who thanks for that, very interesting, now where is my anorak.:chin:

Retarding and advancing the ignition can be dangerous and can lead to detonation/pinging, all done automatically these days:eek:. However most manufacturers still haven't fully automated the system for the different fuel qualities and octanes, shame as I believe this would greatly improve bhp and mpg. The needs to be a way of testing the fuel in the tank.

Do remember that in 1930s Bentleys we are not talking high revving small engines.

4.5 litres, 4 cylinders, 4 valves per cylinder, 100BHP at 3500rpm.

Cheers

SPD

Back