Technical anti roll bar bushes Symptoms of them being goosed

Currently reading:
Technical anti roll bar bushes Symptoms of them being goosed

david295

Established member
when am driving and going over speed bumps etc etc there is a rattle like metal knocking on metal and it feels like it is coming up sterring colum but ther is no vibration in steering wheel tho, would the anti roll bar bushes do this, it was also doing it before i changed both wishbones and its still doing it.
do i need to change all 4 anti roll bar bushes or just outer 2??

Last edited:
did you ever find this out? I have the same rattle and have changed the 2 outer bushes about a week ago and I still have it, I also was reversing up unto a kerb last night with wheel locked right and as front touched the kerb I had a right metal on metal clunk, i'd have to go with strut mounts but anyone else have any ideas?

did you ever find this out? I have the same rattle and have changed the 2 outer bushes about a week ago and I still have it, I also was reversing up unto a kerb last night with wheel locked right and as front touched the kerb I had a right metal on metal clunk, i'd have to go with strut mounts but anyone else have any ideas?
i still have the clunk, it sounds like its coming from behind the fuse board to right of steering wheel, i am just about to go and buy some new roll bar bushes, ive read that then middle bushes can not be renewed is this true

No idea mate, I'm too lazy to go get my Haynes manual lol, I have the annoying clink from the brakes when pressed which indicates discs are worn as pads are less than 1k miles new and this clunk/rattle other than that my car is sweet and its annoying me, oh well can't moan i suppose 53 plate punto for £80 lol

Where you going for your bushes? I got mine from Andrew Page - not sure if he is local or national - but for a pair they cost me about £17 delivered in less than an hour & inc VAT.

Last edited:
Where you going for your bushes? I got mine from Andrew Page - not sure if he is local or national - but for a pair they cost me about £17 delivered in less than an hour & inc VAT.
i go to LVW senars, on the wirral, £23 for 2 outer ones

Kool, lemme know if you cure this b*tch as its annoying as hell lol, I have a garage at my disposal so I'm gonna whip the strut mounts off and swap em over to see if the rattle/ clunk changes sides, at least then I can rule out the mounts one way or the other.

I think my drop links may be a problem aswell as I have a creaking noise also and I've read that if the lubrication escapes the bushes dry up causing the creak, I did however read this in the Stilo page but it can't hurt to take a peek.

Kool, lemme know if you cure this b*tch as its annoying as hell lol, I have a garage at my disposal so I'm gonna whip the strut mounts off and swap em over to see if the rattle/ clunk changes sides, at least then I can rule out the mounts one way or the other.

I think my drop links may be a problem aswell as I have a creaking noise also and I've read that if the lubrication escapes the bushes dry up causing the creak, I did however read this in the Stilo page but it can't hurt to take a peek.
i just took car to garag and he checked the bushes they are fine, he dont know what knocking sound is, the best way i can discribe the sound is, if you get a piece of scaffolding bar, and insert a metal bar inside scaffolding bar and and rattle it in side scaff bar, thats the sound i get when am driving, it sounds like its coming from behind fuse box near power sterring motor

thats the noise I have along with dry bush sound creaking although my rattle is passenger side, I hope its an easy remedy as I've decided that once its fixed I'm gonna get rid as I need a bigger car now I have a family.

thats the noise I have along with dry bush sound creaking although my rattle is passenger side, I hope its an easy remedy as I've decided that once its fixed I'm gonna get rid as I need a bigger car now I have a family.
just come back from garage, they say my steering rack is goosed as i have play in steering wheel the noise is coming from behind fuse panel, near power steering motor They say they will put second hand rack in for £100

mine is strut mounts
i just fixed the knocking and the play has gone in steering wheel, all it took was a 13mm socket, the universal joint for the steering down behind clutch pedal, i tightened the nut up, and no more rattle and no more play in steering wheel:)

Thats good to know, my knocking is fairly severe when it happens which is why I reckon it strut top mounts, I've had my outer anti roll bushes changed so I know its not that and I have meaty brake pads in so I don't think its that either.
I don't have any play in my steering wheel and if I try lifting the wheel ie up, down, left, right then I have no play there either, I'll keep this in mind though as you never know!

Back