General Annoying and Embarrassing Noise ( Video)

Currently reading:
General Annoying and Embarrassing Noise ( Video)

Hi all, had this noise for a while , thought I would get around to look at it.

Happens when turning from center to full right lock , doesn't happen full left lock .

Any help , much appreciated...

James
http://youtu.be/adUeiDQhZok

what is it your doing in that video?
You engaging the clutch?

Sounds almost like a handbrake groaning noise....

Ziggy

Okay in that case i suspect the alternator is to blame

To test - disconnect the belt - and remvoe it from the crank pulley
its a few bolts

Start engine - and go to full lock
Does it make a noise then?
if it does - not alternator
If it doesn't its alternator at fault

Its very odd tho that its only going right not left....

Ziggy

how does the movement of the wheel , effect the alternator?

Unless you mean the electrical stress on the alternator , but it sounds loose (movement) and like you say , only does it when turning right

cheers

it has nothing to do with your alternator and once disconnected your power steering wont work
i suggest you see if you have a broken road springor possibly a stiff upper bearing in the strut top
failing all these its possibly a fault in your steering downshaft
if you can beg borrow or steal the full fiatecuscan then you can do a full assessement of the power steering and even set it to neutral

check my firsdt points first
my monies on top beaRING

Well try some wd40 around the top mount (use the straw)
And see if the noise has changed?

its not a guarentee

Because if its seized solid, its not gonna make a difference
But if its free'd up by wd - you know its still dying

Ziggy

Sprayed WD and the noise slowly went , couple of hours the noise comes back.

looks like the mount , where would i get the parts ? how big of a job ?

cheers

Sprayed WD and the noise slowly went , couple of hours the noise comes back.

looks like the mount , where would i get the parts ? how big of a job ?

cheers

Not the easiest of jobs, as it means dismantling the strut but its not the worst job to do.

Pop bonnet and open
Jack the car up on axle stands
Remove the wheel
Remove both bolts that hold the strut onto the hub (15MM IIRC)
Remove the top mount nut (18MM IIRC)
Strut should come out
COMPRESS THE SPRING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING FURTHER otherwise you will more than likely do a modification to your body
Remove the top nut from the strut (27mm IIRC). You might need to end up buying a shocky though as sometimes the nuts are that sore seized its not worth faffing about
Remove the strut top bearing. Its a big piece of rubber

To refit, do everything in reverse.

One note though, You may have trouble refitting onto the hub, if so, recompress spring on the car and push the shocky up to fit the bolts in.

Another note aswell, try and refit in EXACTLY the same place, otherwise your camber will be out and may cause adverse effects on vehicle geometery.
Replace the

Not the easiest of jobs, as it means dismantling the strut but its not the worst job to do.

Pop bonnet and open
Jack the car up on axle stands
Remove the wheel
Remove both bolts that hold the strut onto the hub (15MM IIRC)
Remove the top mount nut (18MM IIRC)
Strut should come out
COMPRESS THE SPRING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING FURTHER otherwise you will more than likely do a modification to your body
Remove the top nut from the strut (27mm IIRC). You might need to end up buying a shocky though as sometimes the nuts are that sore seized its not worth faffing about
Remove the strut top bearing. Its a big piece of rubber

To refit, do everything in reverse.

One note though, You may have trouble refitting onto the hub, if so, recompress spring on the car and push the shocky up to fit the bolts in.

Another note aswell, try and refit in EXACTLY the same place, otherwise your camber will be out and may cause adverse effects on vehicle geometery.
Replace the

hi scoop there a few innacuracies in your post i was hoping ziggy would answer the op
i recon if you undo the roll bar and undo the top 19mm nut after you have clamped the spring down safely and jacked the car up you could do this top mount in situ

i havent myself but then again the last seized top mount i freed off with proper oil from an old fashioned oil can into the bearings

nice informative post mind:)

If the Wd40 worked in made the noise less "loud"
And once it runs out like wd40 does alot - it got louder
it sounds like the top mount is to blame, might just be cacked up with road ****e

I tend to use super TT - still crap but its cheaper and get more of it

I've never actually had my strut out, never seen a Punto Suspension strut out on the table

But for love nore moneys sake - PLEASE ensure you have the spring clamped with proper clamps BEFORE removing the top mount nuts/bolts as those springs Will honestly Kill somebody if it hits them wrong....
Let alone the bullet that is the nut as that flys off too.....

Watch youtube if you dont believe me about springs flying FAR!

Ziggy

i took a broken spring off a few weeks back and it was still under tension when my compressors were ready to come to bits
i just let the ends fly into the yard at work safely

never known one as long
got some replacement springs from my factors for £12 each

OP remember these are banana springs and the top plate notch needs to point to the wing on refitt and the bar mark on the rubber needs to be at the front

i always undo the top nut with wheels on floor but always oil the thread and use a windy gun as otherwise i reckon it would be a struggle at home

i took a broken spring off a few weeks back and it was still under tension when my compressors were ready to come to bits
i just let the ends fly into the yard at work safely

never known one as long
got some replacement springs from my factors for £12 each

OP remember these are banana springs and the top plate notch needs to point to the wing on refitt and the bar mark on the rubber needs to be at the front

i always undo the top nut with wheels on floor but always oil the thread and use a windy gun as otherwise i reckon it would be a struggle at home

Most of the hex's at the top round without trying
So windy all the way i think :)

ziggy

Thanks for all the info, I'll give it a couple of weeks, and look into fixing it , when i've got the money.

Anyone know where to get the bearing?

Cheers

Back