Am I buying correct OBD1/OBD2 Diagnostic Toughbook?

Currently reading:
Am I buying correct OBD1/OBD2 Diagnostic Toughbook?

Si1969

Hi all, I have a Punto 1.9 JTD as well as a BMW 330. Over the years I've got fed up of garages ripping me off just to find out what a fault code is so that I can make the repair, so I'm seriously looking at getting my own diagnostic toughbook. The question is, am I getting the right one to access most cars? I'm looking at a Tough Book (TB) that claims to cover most OBD1 cars before 2004 and all OBD2 cars from 2001-2011. The big question is HOW MANY CARS ACTUALLY USE OBD?? I presume OBD is the type of connection/interface, but I want to make sure that if i guy this TB it will plug into most cars. The site has a long list of pre 2004 OBD1 cars it says the TB is compatible with and says all OB2. They seem to supply all leads too. The only catch may be that the TB diagnoses only Engine and Transmission problems. Not air bag etc etc.
It's a Panasonic TB on eBay item No. 150599059656.
Any help would be greatly appreciated before i shell out a few hundred quid.
Cheers,
Si

A lot of money just read error codes. the garage i use reads codes for free and clears for a £5 if not serious. Thats a lot of error codes for £300.

According to the list of suitable vehicles your Punto JTD should be fine, but it doesn't seem to have the 330 on the list. so must not be compatible.

In which case it will be cheaper to buy FIATECUSCAN & Cable if its just for the Punto. Which will clear Airbag faults too.

Cheers bud - that garage sounds like one in a million. After looking into the diagnostic toughbooks and cable bundles, to be able to do most cars (still not all) you are paying £800. There's a bundle from the same company that's £1700 too. So i'd say you're lucky that your garage is reading for free if they've had to shell out this sort of money. Wish i lived closer to be able to find it!!
Cheers

It might sound cheap.

But think of it this way, for every error code there is a problem to solve. If for every diagnostic scan comes up with 1 or 2 faults thats between £5 & £10 to remove the error. IF the problem is serious then the garage will recuperate loses here with parts and labour as the AVERAGE motorist wont do there own repairs.

If a error does not need fixing or the motorist can solve there own problem then the garage has made a good reputation with this motorist and they will kepp coming back for repeat custom and will spread the word.

The diagnostic computer is a one off purchase. (presuming newer cars stick to OBD). wont take long to pay back at that sort of rate. i will pay the garage for use every time even if the fault doesnt need clearing. Plus with fiats once the problem is fixed it takes 3 Ignition Cycles to clear. (y)

I'm now looking at just buying a lead for my Punto and downloading the software. What's the difference between the VAG COM lead and the ELM327? Both are sold on ebay but at quite a price difference. I can't see any difference. It seems I can monitor most things engine wise with either and if I want to be able to monitor everything inc air bags & ABS etc then i need to get the three coloured adapter plugs, but just for most general things on the engine and fault codes I'm not sure if it's the ELM327 or the VAG COM i need. Not sure if the VAG COM does the whole job????

Go over to fiatecuscan.net and do soem serios reading.

IMHO you need to get the Gendan ELM and Fiat Cable Set and download (initially) the free version of Fiat ECU Scan. For a further 50 Euros you will have a truely cheap, professional and constantly updated pro solution.

If you have a car that requires older level shifting serial connection as supported by a VAG Comm/KKL interface then you will be looking at a 10 to 20 euro extra expenditure.

Thanks s130. The only bit i don't get is the difference between the VAG and the ELM? I have a 1.9 Punto JTD year 2000. It has the OBD connection below the steering wheel and is the 16 pin 'd type'. So do i need the ELM?
Thanks

If you go here http://www.fiatecuscan.net/ and read you will get all the info you need. Have a look at how to use and the forum it is the best software there is to get for free. For 49-99 euro you will get the registered version which does more than you will get anywhere else for hundreds of pounds.
Cheers mate, I bought an ELM from ebay and got one of the best software programs with it (PCMSCAN). Also downloaded the fiatecuscan software trial too.
Hopefully gonna get to the bottom of a couple of niggling problems now!!

If you buy the three coloured extension leads you get access to steering, airbag and ABS without worrying with cutting wires and linking the correct pins.

I've actually been reading at the Fiatecuscan site, and am I right the for my 1995 Punto 60S I can read out ABS and Airbag codes, but not Engine?
What am I missing here?

Back