General Alloy Wheel Help!!!

Currently reading:
General Alloy Wheel Help!!!

cj_drummer

Hi guys,

This may seem really stupid but I’m kind of stuck and need a little help…

I have a 2002 Punto Mk2 1.2 8v with 14” steel wheels and trims as standard.

Having seen a few Punto Mk2’s around with 17” 225/40R/17 Stilo alloys on, I thort it was about time to upgrade to a decent set of alloys. As such, I recently bought a brand new set of 16” Fiat alloy wheels with the tyre measurements 205/50R/16.

The problem is that both the front and rear wheels are slightly too wide and are making contact with the wheel arches, especially the front arches on full lock.

A mate suggested some 19mm spacers and 40mm nuts which I bought; and though it sorts out the rear wheels great, the front wheels still catch slightly on the arches.

Can anyone help me with this as I really want them fitted and don’t want to have to sell them again!

Cheers.

why dont you just stick to the 16"??
sometimes bigger isnt always better!

Sorry, i think you misunderstand. :)

I have the 16"s and want to fit them but can't seem to get them to fit without scraping the arches. I was saying that they must fit somehow or with something extra because ive seen people running round on wider 17"s before....

Thanks for your post though!

(y)

why dont you just stick to the 16"??
sometimes bigger isnt always better!

not on a punto anyway they look sh!t with bigg wheels unless is got some trick arches and a kit to match but :bang: wot am i saying na keep away from big wheels 15/16 17s maybee depends wot they look like(y)

ooh durr! i was having a homer simpson moment.....your best off asking dave about it,he solved my alloy questions for me&even found me some on ebay to buy!,lol

is it lowerd if so how much:confused: i cant see why it should be rubbin:confused: sumthing aint right u might have to get the arches rolled m8

Here's a pic of them on...

image009lo6.jpg

I really like the look of them personally.

I not sure why either....though i know that the rears are rubbing on the shock absorbers and the fronts are rubbing on the plastic interior arches.

Here's a pic of them on...

image009lo6.jpg

I really like the look of them personally.

I not sure why either....though i know that the rears are rubbing on the shock absorbers and the fronts are rubbing on the plastic interior arches.
ergh you've got those horrible lexus style lights!! i think there so tacky!,lol

i like em goes with the colour:D yeh mate try the spacers wot mm i aint got a clue sorry:( and try and keep the wheels rubber inside the arches or ya gonna have a few problems with mr plod and mr mot but for the front see what part of the linning its catching on and remove it un less ya minted and can afford new tyres every other month:yum:

Last edited:
19mm spacers is massive :eek: what is the offset (et) of them wheels?

if they are off a stilo you will only need 5mm spacers, and good one not multi fit ones

Cheers Dave. (y)

I did think they were a bit big, but then again, I haven't done this before so...

Not sure of the offset to be honest....any ideas on how to find out?

Also, any ideas on how to find some decently-priced spacers?
(I don't want to spend a fortune as i'm inbetween jobs at the moment and have a budget! :( )

Hmm, the problem may be in your tyre choice, not the wheels. 205/50 R16 is around 5% greater diameter than stock, which may be the cause of the problem. Also be careful, because that means your speedometer is showing 5% slower than you are actually going. Ideally, you need to fit 205/45 R16s. Unfortunately, the price difference between /50 and /45 is quite large. These would however be within less than 1% of the stock tyre diameter.

Back